all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Programming for bodyweight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fredrik

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone! I am lookning for some advice on good programming for my strength goals.
I have done S&S for over two years with good results but have now decided to shift to bodyweight practice for a while.

I have been working on OAPushups, pistols and OAPullups for a while now. I have done four consecutive OAPushups on both arms. I have managed three consecutive pistols on my right leg and one on my left so still struggling a bit with them. As for the OAPullup I am not there yet but getting closer. I am able to lock of and drop myself down slowly and controlled on both arms. I use a few different excercises for that.

GTG does not work for me, I need a set time for practice each day. I have tried a variation on 5x5 for all three skills. I have done good progress so far but now I feel that I have stalled and hit a plateau. Any good advice for programming? I have of course read TNW.

I have a long history of intense and regular physical activity so not new to that and have actually once done a OAPullup since I was a long time climber and now I am trying to take that skill back.

Thanks!
/Fredrik

Hello everyone! I am lookning for some advice on good programming for my strength goals.
I have done S&S for over two years with good results but have now decided to shift to bodyweight practice for a while.

I have been working on OAPushups, pistols and OAPullups for a while now. I have done four consecutive OAPushups on both arms. I have managed three consecutive pistols on my right leg and one on my left so still struggling a bit with them. As for the OAPullup I am not there yet but getting closer. I am able to lock of and drop myself down slowly and controlled on both arms. I use a few different excercises for that.

GTG does not work for me, I need a set time for practice each day. I have tried a variation on 5x5 for all three skills. I have done good progress so far but now I feel that I have stalled and hit a plateau. Any good advice for programming? I have of course read TNW.

I have a long history of intense and regular physical activity so not new to that and have actually once done a OAPullup since I was a long time climber and now I am trying to take that skill back.

Thanks!
/Fredrik
Can you please elaborate a bit on "GTG does not work for me..."
Do you mean; your situation does not allow for a GTG format, or that the methodology of GTG doesn't deliver results; or something else?

Can you please elaborate a bit on "GTG does not work for me..."
Do you mean; your situation does not allow for a GTG format, or that the methodology of GTG doesn't deliver results; or something else?

My worksituation does not work with GTG so I have to do it at a set time. But I have no problem with practicing almost every day .

I like wave and ratchet ladders that progress like such:

1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3
1-2-3-1-2-3-2-3-4
1-2-3-2-3-4-2-3-4
2-3-4-2-3-4-2-3-4
1-2-3-2-3-4-3-4-5
2-3-4-2-3-4-3-4-5
2-3-4-3-4-5-3-4-5
3-4-5-3-4-5-3-4-5

For additional progression, add weight with a weight vest or start over and double all the number, triple the numbers, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like wave and ratchet ladders that progress like such:

1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3
1-2-3-1-2-3-2-3-4
1-2-3-2-3-4-2-3-4
2-3-4-2-3-4-2-3-4
1-2-3-2-3-4-3-4-5
2-3-4-2-3-4-3-4-5
2-3-4-3-4-5-3-4-5
3-4-5-3-4-5-3-4-5

For additional progression, add weight with a weight vest or start over and double allbthe number, triple the numbers, etc.
So its OAPx1 x2 x3 all the way to x5 or how does it work?

Yes, x1 rest x2 rest x3 rest x1...Each line is a progression that you'd work on a few times per week. Once you're doing the first wave ladder consistently, move to the next one.

You might be at the 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 ladder three times per week for a while before moving to 1-2-3-1-2-3-2-3-4. Does that make sense?

Once you are doing the 3-4-5-3-4-5-3-4-5 ladder consistantly, either add weight or start at the beginning with higher numbers like double (2-4-6-2-4-6-2-4-6...etc)

Im currently on Armour of War which is pretty much what you're shooting for. You can even add s&s a couple times per week.

Thanks!
/Fredrik
You are already very advanced. I flirted with Al Kavadlo's "Get Strong" program. It likely has everything you are looking for.

Yes, x1 rest x2 rest x3 rest x1...Each line is a progression that you'd work on a few times per week. Once you're doing the first wave ladder consistently, move to the next one.

You might be at the 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 ladder three times per week for a while before moving to 1-2-3-1-2-3-2-3-4. Does that make sense?

Once you are doing the 3-4-5-3-4-5-3-4-5 ladder consistantly, either add weight or start at the beginning with higher numbers like double (2-4-6-2-4-6-2-4-6...etc)
Ok so it would be for example pistols on both legs x1 x2 x3 with short rest in between and then x1 x2 x3 two more times for the whole workout? Then when consistently doing all the reps I switch to 1-2-3-1-2-3-2-3-4?

I would like to second what @Bro Mo said about adding weight. Especially to the pull-ups.
You might want to try FPP 3RM weighted or the Steve House Max Strenth pull up programme

So how do you see this "waving the load" mentioned by Pavel? As I wrote I feel I stalled with 5x5 after a while. Is waving the load switching to 20 rep regular pushups for a while or is this just a waste of time for strength gains? Would waving the load instead be still a low but different number of reps, like 8 insteaf 0f 5 for fewer sets?

Ok so it would be for example pistols on both legs x1 x2 x3 with short rest in between and then x1 x2 x3 two more times for the whole workout? Then when consistently doing all the reps I switch to 1-2-3-1-2-3-2-3-4?
Yes, you can make the rest period as long as you want, the longer the better probably. I find if I do these in a circuit on the minute it works well.
1st minute: OAP - right x1
2nd minute: OAP - left x1
3rd minute: Pistol - right x1
4th minute: Pistol - left x1
5th minute: Pull-Up x1
6th minute: OAP - right x2
7th minute: OAP - left x2
8th minute: Pistol - right x2
9th minute: Pistol - left x2
10th minute: Pull-Up x2
...​
Ends up with 45min to perform all 9 sets of each with 5min rest between sets of each movement.
So how do you see this "waving the load" mentioned by Pavel? As I wrote I feel I stalled with 5x5 after a while.
Once I move onto the second or higher progression, sometimes I'll periodically do one of the lesser progressions to wave the load. You can also increase or decrease the rest interval periodically to every 45sec or every 75sec instead of on the minute to wave the load. I like the Impetus app for this.

Yes, you can make the rest period as long as you want, the longer the better probably. I find if I do these in a circuit on the minute it works well.
1st minute: OAP - right x1
2nd minute: OAP - left x1
3rd minute: Pistol - right x1
4th minute: Pistol - left x1
5th minute: Pull-Up x1
6th minute: OAP - right x2
7th minute: OAP - left x2
8th minute: Pistol - right x2
9th minute: Pistol - left x2
10th minute: Pull-Up x2
...​
Ends up with 45min to perform all 9 sets of each with 5min rest between sets of each movement.

Once I move onto the second or higher progression, sometimes I'll periodically do one of the lesser progressions to wave the load. You can also increase or decrease the rest interval periodically to every 45sec or every 75sec instead of on the minute to wave the load. I like the Impetus app for this.
Thanks! Looks very interesting, the numbers add up quite fast from one progression to the next without ever doing high reps. Will definitely try this. Also I got "Get Strong" by Al Kavadlo wich seems really good too.

for me, i will do the same template like ROP with OAPU, but don't try to reach 5 reps. somehow the OAPU frys your abbie like hell.
about pistol and OApull, i really have no idea. pistol can be done in ladder too. (1, 2, 3) x3 , (1, 2) x2 , 1x3 with the weight you can do it 6-8 times seems legit to me.
i never train pull up/chin up in the past with a good program, so... but the one arm chin up feels good
just my $0.02

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom