all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed programming for Overall fitness?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pete Chapman

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey everyone, I've always struggled with how to best program my workouts to achieve my goal of general over all fitness and you guys tend to be very smart and logical. I'm a very active 40 y/o male 162lbs 5'9".

I really enjoy barbell training, kettlebell training, trail running, and hot yoga and just got into Spartan races which I'd like to get more into. My problem is trying to incorporate all of these things into a weekly routine. I realize I'll never be great at one of them without more exclusive training but i'm ok with that, my goal is to be a more all around amateur athlete.

Can anyone give me some recommendation on the best way to program my average week or point me in the direction of a good article or book on how to optimize programming? I find it's a topic that isnt discussed as much as most others.

Thanks

For such a simple goal you need a simple program. This online explanation of a Pavel gem (easy to Google):

“He [Pavel] outlined a very simple, straightforward plan to complete strength. He called it 'the 3 to 5 Plan'. Three to five, or even two, exercises for the whole body. 3-5 days between workouts. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. 3-5 minutes rest between sets. That's it. Very simple. Very effective. Very Pavel.”

Start with modest weights and when you complete the sets add weight next time and when you max out drop the weight (I use ∼15-20%) and work back up.

For some hypertrophy, at the end of the 3-5 sets drop the weight significantly and complete a single high volume 'pump' set to near failure or change the reps from 3-5 to 8-15 and lower the rest to 2 minutes getting close to failure at least on your last set.

I've got great results in terms of strength, muscle and overall fitness by doing the above with only three exercises per workout:

1. Bench press or military press
2. Seated cable row or bent over row
3. Deadlift, squat or leg press

Plus I do some brisk walking for cardio.

Good luck!

@Pete Chapman, a suggestion for you. Practice S&S or other minimalist program. Then do the other movements for enjoyment - go for an easy run. Take a yoga class. You could even do barbell deadlifts following the Daily Dose Deadlift template of only 5 lifts per day and cycle in and out of that along with something else some of the time, e.g., if you like being outdoors, then hike, run, ride a bike when the weather's nice, and do some barbell lifting in the dead of winter.

-S-

You have given too little constraints to your program. We'll need more to come to a reasonable answer. For instance, how much time you want to dedicate to training? What have you been doing?

If you dont give any constraints, a simple answer could be:

3/ week simple and sinister followed by 3x5 of one of the power lifts.

2/ week easy run.

1/ week tempo run or similar.

Yoga 2/week added to the above.

This is just an idea. Many others would work depending on your limitations and preferences.

Thanks so much for all the replies! Sorry its taken me so long to get back.

You have given too little constraints to your program. We'll need more to come to a reasonable answer. For instance, how much time you want to dedicate to training? What have you been doing?

If you dont give any constraints, a simple answer could be:

3/ week simple and sinister followed by 3x5 of one of the power lifts.

2/ week easy run.

1/ week tempo run or similar.

Yoga 2/week added to the above.

This is just an idea. Many others would work depending on your limitations and preferences.

Great point! I guess I was kind of vague in my OP.
As for time to dedicate to training, I'm willing to put in 6 to 7 days a week 1-2 hours a day.

Right now my average week might look something like this..
Monday-easy recovery run
Tuesday-S&S workout with some pull ups
Wednesday-Barbell training- all compound lifts in the 3-5 sets range and 5-12 rep range
Thursday-easy Trail run with some hill sprints
Friday-Kettlebell work-either S&S or some kind of complex and pull ups
Saturday-moderate intensity bike ride/ hot yoga
Sunday-Barbell training- compound lifts with some weighted carries at the end.

I guess my goals may have changed a bit since my last post. The summer is slowly coming to an end as is the Obstacle race season (1 more race in a few weeks). After the Fall trail running I"d like to dial back the running and focus more on mass building over the winter.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom