all posts post new thread

Barbell programming for sports performance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
One thing about Mike Boyle and his de-emphasis of bilateral squats: hockey players tend to have jacked up hips. If you have a solid squat pattern then go ahead, but from the awkward hip work involved in high power skating, a lot of hockey players won't have a good squat pattern. Plus, you'll tend to already have pretty tight hip flexors since you rarely ever fully extend while on the ice.

Which imho means:

- they should squat - not necessarily as a strength exercise, but as a movement pattern (assisted bodyweight squat, goblet squat)
- they should work on their hip extension - not necessarily because it will improve their hockey game, but it will improve their longevity as a hockey players

Jacked up athlete in pain, who gets injured all the time, sits on the bench.

I recently picked up "New Functional Training for Sports 2nd Edition" by Mike Boyle. Boyle has worked extensively with hockey during his career. Although I have just started the book one thing that stands out is his use of single-leg work. In fact, with many of his trainees the only bilateral movement he uses is the trap bar deadlift once a week. Perhaps some unilateral work would be in order in-season since the load would be less and the act of skating has a decent amount of unilateral action. I know there certainly are exceptions.

Boyle's NO Bilateral Philosophy

Boyle essentially is Anti-Bilateral Training. He has a bit of a cult attitude about Bilateral Training, which is unfortunate.

Bilateral as well as Unilateral Training both provide benefits. Individual who abstain from the use of either is not able to optimize there training results or elicit a greater training effect.

This is not only my perspective, it is also that of...

Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength

As most know, the foundation of Rippetoe's Starting Strength is build on Bilateral Strength Training's Squat, Press and Deadlift.

Ironically, Boyle commented that Starting Strength was a good program.

Rippetoe's Reply To Boyle

"...What am I supposed to do, Spur? Disregard the fact that the man has spent the last 2 years running away from basic barbell training as the best method to get strong? Ignore the fact that he contradicts himself with his support of our programs and then his advocacy of one-legged DB split-squats as a basic exercise?" Source: Mike Boyle-The Death of the Conventional Squat, Mike Boyle - The Death of the Conventional Squat? [Archive] - Starting Strength Forums

"How can I promote a guy (Boyle) who is opposed with what I advocate?'

The Take Home Message On Boyle

Boyle's obsession with with sole use and emphasis of Unilateral Training over Bilateral Training ensure you are less likely to obtain optimal results and elicit the greatest training effect.

Boyle is one of the original "Stability Training Cult" gurus; emphasis on it is counter productive for athletes and health individual.

The use of stability devices is an effective rehabilitation tool for Physical Therapist.

However, the the emphasis of stability devices for athletes and heath individual has proven to decrease Strength and Power.

As Tudor Bompa (who wrote the book on Periodization Training) stated, "If you train on a wobble field, train on a wobble board.

Bompa went on to state the stability devices were an ineffective use of training time.

Boyle, at times has some accurate information and at other times has some "obvious problem/s" in presenting reliable information.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I don't think Boyle would disagree with maintaining the squat pattern. He's saying, don't load dysfunction and I'm not really sure anyone here disagrees with that. The health of his athletes speaks for his methods.
Again, Boyle's strength as a coach is the resilience of his athletes. He doesn't care how strong you are if you're sitting on the bench during the playoffs from a non-contact injury.
Like with any coach, take from him what works for you and leave behind everything else. Also realize that people make caricatures of coaches. A lot of people had a caricature of Pavel of just being the "kettlebell" guy who didn't know pure strength barbell material. We know that's absurd and couldn't be further from the truth, so be careful of spreading false caricatures of coaches, whether they are with SF or not.

Last edited:
From what I've read of Boyle; He does include body weight squats in warm ups and also uses exercises like Olympic lift variations, trap bar deads, and kb swings. So it's not like there's a complete absence of bilateral stuff. He's not a fan of barbell squats though because of the types of people he works with and the potential for injury.

The health of his athletes speaks for his methods.

The Health of His Athletes

All coaches are concerns are about ensuring athletes remain health in injury free.

The focus of great Strength Coaches is on maximizing Limits Strength, Power and Speed.

The most effective method in obtain that result is with with Bilateral and Unilateral Movements.

Research and empirical data demonstrated that Limit Strength is the foundation of Power and Speed.

Thus, "The health of his athletes speak for his (Boyle's) method" and any one Strength Coach who "doesn't care how strong you are" is on the wrong track with their athletes.

Paraphrasing Your Statement

It doesn't matter how health you are, if you are sitting on the bench because you have less Speed, Power and Strength for you sport.

With that said, the most vital component for a given sport is...

Talent

No matter the Strength, Power or Speed or HEATH of an athlete, if they don't have the skill sets for the game, they are not going to play or play on a regular basis.

Any type of "Strength Training" will increase an athletes potential to some degree.

However, to maximize an athlete's potential various method need to be employed for optimal success; the synergistic effect of employing various, well written and executed training protocols is a fundamental key.

Synergistic meaning the whole is greater than it parts.

Example: 2 + 2 equaling 5!

Boyle's primary focus is on Unilateral Training. Essentially, he has a one dimensional view in a 3-D World.

Also, as I noted in my previous post, "Boyle, at times has some accurate information and at other times has some "obvious problem/s" in presenting reliable information."

Also, as I noted, Boyle criticism of his methods expands out to other in the field of Strength Training (Rippetoe and others) along with mine.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
My takeaway from Mr. Boyle's work is this:
He talks a lot about bilateral deficit and reducing the load athletes are under when squatting. In his mind, unilateral lifts drive up bilateral lift numbers (i didn't find this to be the case when i tried it myself). Also, the reduced load when doing unilateral lifts help athletes deal with lower back problems that might come from heavy loads during back squats, front squats etc.

He also uses weighted vests and dumbbells which would be inconvenient for the most of us, as many gyms don't have those available. Also proper equipment for unilateral lifts are scarce.

Anyway, i have a question regarding plyometric training. I think it reads in some of the Verkohansky's books that when athlete is doing his or her sport, the sport itself might provide enough plyometrics training, meaning there's no need to do extra jump training in the gym to get more powerful. Thoughts?

Anyway, i have a question regarding plyometric training. I think it reads in some of the Verkohansky's books that when athlete is doing his or her sport, the sport itself might provide enough plyometrics training, meaning there's no need to do extra jump training in the gym to get more powerful. Thoughts?

Verkhoshansky says that, so does Dan John and Pavel (and I guess many other coaches). Stimulus is stimulus, if you jump allot in your sport adding the load of specific depth jump training will probably just increase your potential for over-training. If you have an off season than specific jump training might help for novice and intermediate level. I highly doubt that high level volleyball player will benefit from additional plyometric training...

My takeaway from Mr. Boyle's work is this:
He talks a lot about bilateral deficit and reducing the load athletes are under when squatting. In his mind, unilateral lifts drive up bilateral lift numbers (i didn't find this to be the case when i tried it myself).

Bilateral Strength

Solely and/or Limiting Strength Training to Unilateral Exercises ensure a Bilateral Strength Movement of the same nature WILL be Substantially Less. This leads back to two of my previous post that...

"Boyle, at times has some accurate information and at other times has some "obvious problem/s" in presenting reliable information."

Squat Example

Performing solely or limiting you training to Unilateral Squat Movements such as Heavy Lunges, Bulgarian Spit Squats, etc ensure that you Bilateral Squat will DECREASE.

As you noted, "i didn't find this to be the case when i tried it myself." That statement applies for everyone else as well.

Also, the reduced load when doing unilateral lifts help athletes deal with lower back problems that might come from heavy loads during back squats, front squats etc.

Lower Back Problems

It's hard to reply to such a vague statement. It amount to visiting a physician, telling them you don't feel good and want them to prescribe a medication for you.

Before the physician can do anything, let along prescribe a medication, they need to obtain more information to determine precisely what the root of your "not feeling good".

That applies with individual who have "Back Problems". Is there a spine or nerve issue or is the lower back simply weak and need to be strengthened.

With that said, there are benefits to Unilateral Training that I prescribe and implement as Auxiliary Exercises.

"When The Back Says NO And The Legs Say Go"

This article was written by Hollie Evett (Strength Coach and former National Powerlifting Champion).

As Evette noted, the weakest link in the chain of a Squat is the Lower Back.

As Dr Tom McLaughlin (PhD Exercise Biomechanics/former Powerlifter) stated, the Lower Back is easily and quickly overtrained.

Thus, one of the issues with the Squat is that the Lower Back is overloaded and fatigued before the Legs are maximally overloaded.

Evette's article provide Squat Exercises to ensure maximal overload of the Legs occurred when Squatting. While they were good Leg Squat Exercise, my recommendation differ from Evette's.

With that in mind, let's look at exercises geared toward increasing an individuals Strength and Squat that minimizes the Lower Back, which will also address someone with "Back Issues".

Auxiliary Leg Squat Exercises

These exercise minimize Lower Back involvement, placling the workload on the Legs.

Bilateral Belt Squats:

This is at the top of the list and one that I constantly use.

This video Simmons demonstrates this exercise with a machine.

Bilateral Belt Squat minimize that Lower Back involvement; placing the work load the Legs. This ensure...

1) You maximally overload the Legs.

2) It virtually eliminates the Lower Back involvement. For most Lifter with "Back Issues" Belt Squats work.

A Cheap Home Made Belt Squat

My "Home Made Belt Squat" consist of...

1) Two Solid Boxes to stand on.

2) An IronMind Loading Pin
Olympic 15 loading pin for Olympic plates and clip-www.ironmind-store.com

I've loaded mine up with over 500 lbs and used it for Partial Belt Squats.

3) Belt Squat Belt
Belt Squat Belt

"Using the Spud Inc. belt squat belt is a great way to train your lower body without placing a heavy load on your spine. The Spud Inc. belt squat belt is designed for maximal comfort on your hips while allowing you to use heavy weight to train your legs."

There a good video on this site demonstrating it.

Unilateral Step Ups

This Leg Exercise ensure you overload the Legs and minimize the Lower Back involvement. It is a good Leg Exercise for individual with "Back Issues".

Lunges and Bultarian Squats work, as well. However, my personal preference is Step Ups.

However, these Unilateral Let Squat Exercises rate second to Belt Squat as a means of increasing your Bilateral Squat.

He also uses weighted vests and dumbbells which would be inconvenient for the most of us, as many gyms don't have those available. Also proper equipment for unilateral lifts are scarce.

Unilateral Training

It is easy to train. Let use the Step Up as an example. All you need is a solid box to step up on.

Body Weight Unilateral Squats

Body Weight Step Ups Example: Let say you weight 200 lbs. If you performed a Bilateral Body Weight Squat, that means each Leg would be lifting 100 lbs.

If you perform a Unilateral Body Weight Step Up Squat at 200 lbs body weight, each Leg needs to lift 200 lbs.

Dumbbell Unilateral Squats

If you hold a 40 lb Dumbbell in one hand and perform a Step Up and weight 200 lbs, each Leg has to lift 230 lbs.

Banded Unilateral Step Ups

This is a simple method of overloading the Legs throughout the range of motion. Hook the Band under let's say your Left Step Up Foot. Then anchor it around your right shoulder.

Then Step Up on the Box. You can perform it via Body Weight or with a Dumbbell in your hand.

[/quote]Anyway, i have a question regarding plyometric training. I think it reads in some of the Verkohansky's books that when athlete is doing his or her sport, the sport itself might provide enough plyometrics training, meaning there's no need to do extra jump training in the gym to get more powerful. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Plyometric Training

Most sports involve a Plometric Action; eliciting and developing the "Stretch Reflex" to some degree.

The purpose of a "Plometric Training Program" in the gym to dramatically increase the "Stretch Reflex" and to increase an athlete's power potential.

That is one of the reasons that Strength Coaches focus on Plyometric Training in the gym with systematic plymetric training method.

Personal Experience

I am not built to Squat and have weak Leg Drive. I am built to Deadlift, strong back.

Thus, I focus is on increasing Leg Strength with Belt Squats and some Step Ups.

This allowed my Lower Back to recover from Heavy "Deadlift Training Sessions" and ensures an increase in Leg Drive in my Squat.

My Best Squat is 562 lb/255 kg at at a body weight of 208 lbs in the 50-55 age groups, the State Record.

I performed the Squat with a Squat Suit and Knee Wraps. In a pair of shorts, my Squat was 510 lbs.

I also employ Plyometric "Stretch Reflex" in my Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift with a "Complex Training (Post-Activation Potentiation) Program. This method allows you to increase Limit Strengh and Power during the same training session.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom