all posts post new thread

Bodyweight programming help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kb02

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey guys, wanting to change things up a bit and mix in some bw for the new year . I built myself a pull up bar and dip station . I would love to hear some thoughts on how to maybe combine this with some swing\snatches ,getups,and maybe some pistols.Since I'm not very good at putting this together some ideas from instructors would be great!! Thanks All, Kevin

Good if you could post more specifics of what you're doing now instead of just a list of exercises. Good to have some background, too, e.g., past performances, current goals, etc.

-S-

Hello,

@kb02
What do you want to do ? Strength ? Muscular endurance / conditioning ? Do you have any constraints for elbow / shoulder / wrist ?

You can consider PU and dips as antagonists. PU focus on biceps, dips on triceps.

Without any further information it is difficult : EMOM of PU and dips ? Supersets ? The same for pistols and swings ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd consider splitting those exercises into two different workouts.

The pullups & dips will compliment each other and give you a good upper body workout. The pistols could be done either before or after them to create a full body workout if that's what you are after. You could also GTG pistols if you didn't want to do them with an upper body routine.

Pistols are a prime candidate for GTG work as you get an opportunity to do an almost full range rep every time you stand up or sit down. Then you only need to devote a small amount of time to full ROM reps whenever you feel the urge.

The swings/ snatches and TGU's would work well in an S&S format.

Hello,

@kb02
Even if it is challenging, it remains a good calisthenics move : muscle up. It works both a pull, then a transition, then a press. It also strongly involves abs and coordination.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey guys , should of put more info . I have reached simple . my focus is strength , conditioning next. No limitations or injuries thus far. I'm not set on these exercises soley but would just to use some bw with a little KB . would love to work up to sets of muscle ups , while not losing pressing strength. Somewhat keeping it well rounded .

Last edited:
Hello,

@kb02
If strength is your main goal, you can do ladders of weighted PU (1,2,3)*2 or 3, avoiding failure. At the beginning, rest as needed. Then, the same with dips.

With time, reduce rest period. It will progressively give you conditioning.

If you want a "pure bdw", you can use a fighter PU program (following the progression as written) and then doing the same for dips. This gives a lot of structure.

Other option (I followed it a while ago with good results for bdw only) : 5 sets of max reps (avoiding failure) with perfect form, and 25s rest between sets. I did that for PU and dips and it gave me the MU.

Muscle up is pretty easy. Once you get strength, it is mostly a matter of coordination. I passed it in 2 or 3 days, but did a lot of PU and dips before.

Then, depending on your current routine, you can choose either a full body workout or a split.

In full body case, ladder of pistols (or pistol progression if needed). Plus swings at the end.

Otherwise, in split case, pistols and swings in another training session.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@kb02 ...
Two options come to mind here...
1. Naked Warrior: Pistols & OAPU. Simple, easy to programme, GTG applicable, lots of resources, portable. 'By the book'. (And buy the book)
2. Pull-ups: A personal favourite of mine. Many options here:
  • Fighter pull-ups
  • 1 RM
  • GTG
  • Pull-up variations: offset grip, archer, typewriter, frenchies, one handed, one armed, etc

Good ideas @pet , @Tarzan thanks guys . @offwidth yea I have naked warrior and would rather use dips or KB press instead of oaolpu and dont really have time for gtw. pistols maybe .

@kb02

A favorite warm-up that will help with many other skills is alternating 30-45s of hollow body holds and arch body holds (superman) for 3-5 minutes.

Weighted pull-ups and dips could be trained as primary exercises.

A favorite isometric is weighted flexed arm hang/hollow body with light KBs hooked on the feet.

Hello,

A favorite isometric is weighted flexed arm hang/hollow body with light KBs hooked on the feet.
+1 even if it is a torture for the abs ! ;)

Hanging leg raises can also be an option, or progression from L-Sit to V-Sit (will work flexibility, shoulder pack and full tension, and abs of course)

Kind regards,

Pet'

What about etk rop? I'm looking forward to start it up in Friday after some r and r. Did it last year after reaching simple and was too keen and eager with the snatches and tweaked my shoulder. Going back into it with cautious enthusiasm. Did it a few years ago now as a newbie as well. It's all there for you, as is with the added variety days for you to play about with whatever as long as it is moderate.
So you have press, pull (if wanted, I will but reduced volume), snatch and swing with those variety days to practice some bodyweight or other kb drills.

I think those are excellent complements. Fundamentally, the TGU is a straight arm push while the swings/snatches are straight arm pulls. The Pullup and Dip are bent arm pulls/pushes. This is relevant because they don't interfere a whole lot in terms of fatigue. You'll find your somehow "fresh" for dips even if you go hard on the get ups. Ditto for the Pullups and swings.

You only want to add them as a small extra. I don't think you have to do them a whole lot to reap some results. With that in mind, you could do a whole lot worse than heading to your brand new bars once/twice a week after your KB workout and spending 15 minutes on those two exercises. Alternate Pullup and Dip sets. You could either go for ladders (you might do more dips per rung... Or add a bit of weight to them), you could do EDT (sets of 5 or less with the objective of as many reps in that time window) or just straight sets (3-5 sets of as many comfortable reps).

Just my 2 cents

Hey guys, wanting to change things up a bit and mix in some bw for the new year . I built myself a pull up bar and dip station . I would love to hear some thoughts on how to maybe combine this with some swing\snatches ,getups,and maybe some pistols.Since I'm not very good at putting this together some ideas from instructors would be great!! Thanks All, Kevin

@kbo2 There are lots of great option to adding BW in with your KB work.
My preferred method is use the TGU as part of your warm up as it is full body and you can wave the load from day to day with diff kg/rep/set schemes.
Next I add my main strength goal - this is what I focus on first before all other skills.
Next I add in circuits which could be a mix of both bw and kb
- ex. might be something like pull up /pistol ladder
1 pull up/ 1 pistol per leg
2 pull up / 2 pistol per leg
3 pull up / 3 pistol per leg (and so on OR rest and repeat)
I would then use my swings and /or snatching as my finisher to maintain or increase my endurance.

But again many ways to program them together and you have been given some great options above.
Keep us posted on your progress in this BW journey

Last edited:
@kbo2 There are lots of great option to adding BW in with your KB work.
My preferred method is use the TGU as part of your warm up as it is full body and you can wave the load from day to day with diff kg/rep/set schemes.
Next I add my main strength goal - this is what I focus on first before all other skills.
Next I add in circuits which could be a mix of both bw and kb
- ex. might be something like pull up /pistol ladder
1 pull up/ 1 pistol per leg
2 pull up / 2 pistol per leg
3 pull up / 3 pistol per leg (and so on OR rest and repeat)
I would then use my swings and /or snatching as my finisher to maintain or increase my endurance.

But again many ways to program them together and you have been given some great options above.
Keep us posted on your progress in this BW journey

Karen Smith, I would like to give this a go. How many days a week would you do this? Should be done with a Heavy, light and medium day? If so would you do anything else in between on the other days? Thanks

I do S&S as my staple workout but I do chinups and one arm pushups as a separate programme of sorts too.

Karen Smith, I would like to give this a go. How many days a week would you do this? Should be done with a Heavy, light and medium day? If so would you do anything else in between on the other days? Thanks

I perfer 3x week training and my favorite format would be Monday (medium) Wednesday (light) and Friday (heavy), however it might work best for others in a different order depending on other things going on in their schedule. If I do the TGU as my warm up then I will vary the load /reps to fit the med/light/heavy format. Example I would do 1/2 GU with a very heavy load for 1/1 on heavy day and rest then repeat for 2 or 3 sets of these singles. And as for the off days.... :) I REST.
Hope that helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom