all posts post new thread

Programming Improv Programming Improv Seminar

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Has anyone attended the Programming Improv seminar in person or online?

I missed out on the recent one but saw some of the little tips they posted on social media (PROGRAMMING IMPROV Advanced programming tactic for strength and hypertrophy | StrongFirst).

How does it differ from PlanStrong and the All-Terrain Conditioning seminars?

What does it cover? I'm interested in this seminar the next time it's available (online).

I attended the first one, online. It's an intense focus on programming parameters and principles and then how to apply them to real world situations. I haven't been to PlanStrong or All-Terrain Conditioning so I can't answer exactly how it differs, but I think PlanStrong is probably heavier on designing exact reps/sets/weekly volume schemes, where Programming Improv takes a wider view of programming to "teach you how to cook yourselves, instead of following a recipe" (as Pavel described). PlanStrong would teach how to write the recipe using one particular method. Programming Improv is more about how to determine what recipe to follow for a given situation, and then how to adjust and execute as training progresses. It's mainly about strength programming, though other things like endurance or strength endurance are touched on as well. GPP and SPP are included. The focus is long-term development -- training that is organic and sustainable. But also, peaking for events. Many different types of cycling are covered. Hope that helps. Definitely recommend!

It sounds like the Programming Improv would be right up my alley.

I attended the first PlanStrong event in 2014, and it made zero sense to me!

I review the manual frequently, but I still haven't figured out how to use the formulas to actually put together a program.

However, when I asked Pavel at the end of the second day how to simplify it the most, he said the ROP ladder method is what to use as it boils everything down to essentially doing 3-4 rep sets with 70-85% of your 1RM to fall within PlanStrong guidelines.

Ironically, after attending the seminar, I went back and looked at all the training programs I had created and used with myself and my coaching clients, and they averaged 70% ARI (average intensity) which is why they worked desp3not following actual PlanStrong programming (and a lot more variety).

I LOVED the All-Terrain Conditioning seminar! That was right up my alley with the basic science behind it (essentially everything in the Q&D book) and programs that suit me well (power, alactic training).

I attended the first one, online. It's an intense focus on programming parameters and principles and then how to apply them to real world situations. I haven't been to PlanStrong or All-Terrain Conditioning so I can't answer exactly how it differs, but I think PlanStrong is probably heavier on designing exact reps/sets/weekly volume schemes, where Programming Improv takes a wider view of programming to "teach you how to cook yourselves, instead of following a recipe" (as Pavel described). PlanStrong would teach how to write the recipe using one particular method. Programming Improv is more about how to determine what recipe to follow for a given situation, and then how to adjust and execute as training progresses. It's mainly about strength programming, though other things like endurance or strength endurance are touched on as well. GPP and SPP are included. The focus is long-term development -- training that is organic and sustainable. But also, peaking for events. Many different types of cycling are covered. Hope that helps. Definitely recommend!
Is there a manual coming with the event?

Is there a manual coming with the event?
I received a 34-page "Programming Improv Seminar Notes" the day before the event, so we had it during the lecture portion. It's chock full of good stuff. My own notes from the seminar, on the other hand, are over 100 pages in a Word document. (Sorry I can't share them :) )

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom