all posts post new thread

Barbell Programming multiple lifts in Planstrong

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jmwheeler11

Level 2 Valued Member
When planning two or more lifts for a month using the Planstrong methodology, are you supposed to use the same main variant for both or are they supposed to be different? In other words, if I am planning deadlift and bench press, should each week have the same percentage of number of lifts or are they supposed to be different? I have taken the course and have reviewed the manual but can't seem to find the answer to this.

Variety is best - if you can use different variants for each lift, that approach would get my vote. Just as PS talks about how sometimes you'll run into both high intensity and high volume in the same week, and each of the other possible combinations, so you'd find the variety multiplied - you'd sometimes have a hard week in one lift while you had a hard week in the other, but equally possible would be a hard week in one lift and an easy week in another and, again, there are all the other possibilities.

The exception might be if you plan to compete, in which case you'd want to pay attention to how you taper overall, but again, as long as you're following COMP period guidelines, using different variants could work for you here, too.

-S-

I usually offset them... So that way I don't end up with the high volume/intensity days together... Also I use lower volume in total for my lower body lifts

When planning two or more lifts for a month using the Planstrong methodology, are you supposed to use the same main variant for both or are they supposed to be different? In other words, if I am planning deadlift and bench press, should each week have the same percentage of number of lifts or are they supposed to be different? I have taken the course and have reviewed the manual but can't seem to find the answer to this.
The manual is pretty clear. They are planned separately (pag. 113), it can happen accidentally that match. They belong to two different classes. It is different for instance if planning BP & MP or SQ & DL. Use the same variant BUT different share of the TOT NL pag. 114-117.

The manual is pretty clear. They are planned separately (pag. 113), it can happen accidentally that match. They belong to two different classes. It is different for instance if planning BP & MP or SQ & DL. Use the same variant BUT different share of the TOT NL pag. 114-117.
Thanks so much for the reply and for the page numbers.
Variety is best - if you can use different variants for each lift, that approach would get my vote. Just as PS talks about how sometimes you'll run into both high intensity and high volume in the same week, and each of the other possible combinations, so you'd find the variety multiplied - you'd sometimes have a hard week in one lift while you had a hard week in the other, but equally possible would be a hard week in one lift and an easy week in another and, again, there are all the other possibilities.

The exception might be if you plan to compete, in which case you'd want to pay attention to how you taper overall, but again, as long as you're following COMP period guidelines, using different variants could work for you here, too.

-S-
Thank you so much for the reply, this answers my question.

Yes, this is exactly what happens
Exactly!
I usually offset them... So that way I don't end up with the high volume/intensity days together... Also I use lower volume in total for my lower body lifts
I would be careful with this. In PS the volume must vary from session to session, week to week, etc. not only for a specific lift, but also for the overall session. If you offset the variants of different lifts, you may end up with a fairly constant session's volume overtime, and this is something we want to avoid. As Steve said, sometimes you'll run into both high intensity and high volume in the same week, and each of the other possible combinations, sand this is something we are looking forward to.

I hope this helps

Yes, this is exactly what happens

Exactly!

I would be careful with this. In PS the volume must vary from session to session, week to week, etc. not only for a specific lift, but also for the overall session. If you offset the variants of different lifts, you may end up with a fairly constant session's volume overtime, and this is something we want to avoid. As Steve said, sometimes you'll run into both high intensity and high volume in the same week, and each of the other possible combinations, sand this is something we are looking forward to.

I hope this helps
Thanks for this @Fabio Zonin. The point about overall volume continuing to vary throughout the session/week/month with multiple lifts is key.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom