all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Programming Risk to Reward Profiles

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I saw an image that put a couple rep schemes on a risk/reward spectrum. Wondering if we can expand it to include different programming formats, etc. The image was of the following from lower risk/reward to higher risk/reward:
  1. 5x3 @ 80%
  2. 4x4 @ 80%
  3. 5x2 @ 85%
  4. 6x1 @ 90%
Another example I would like to expand on and improve is something like this:
  1. 2x/week full body
  2. 3x week full body
  3. Upper/Lower split (2x each per week)
  4. Pull/Press/Squat rolling split
Where do programs like daily low volume/high intensity or GTG fit? It seems like they are in the middle or an anomaly of sorts with high return and low risk.

I suppose movements could be classified on a similar spectrum (not that the following is accurate):
  1. Goblet Squat
  2. Swing
  3. Clean & Jerk
  4. Snatch
Thoughts???

Hmmm, without some performance metrics I'm not sure how to run with this. Some rep/set schemes work far better than others depending on the goal. If we assume GPP would be a start point.

Next off when it comes to the full body work it makes a difference if you are working multiple sets per lift in a row, or if you're turning it into a circuit.

I like the concept of the movement spectrum, I'm currently working along a similar thought in my own programming based on the circuits I've been doing.

I have a list of movements broken down by push/pull/hinge/squat and a fifth category of whole body compound. The fifth category has ballistic and non-ballistic moves.

Instead of assigning risk/reward I look at it as inherent waving based on selection.

I do the entire workout with two KBs, a 16 to warm up and to beef up bodyweight or high speed ballistic moves - pistols or skater squats and slashers respectively, and then either a 50lb, 28kg or 32 for the rest. This limits the selection of exercises and/or determines the rep count, whether its a heavy load/low rep day or lower load/high rep day or something in the middle.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom