Programming Swings for NW

Jak Nieuwenhuis

> 1k Posts
Hello All,

just a quick question

currently doing great progress on the one arm pushup practice. better than any program ever before.

pistols have been on point so nothing new there

I'd like to take my swings up a notch since they're pretty much the only other exercise I practice besides Pistols, OAPU, and pullups/rows. per the NW

I currently have a 16kg and a 24kg bell.

I understand that the NW lets you program your big pull however you want it, within reason.

I would just like a little clarification on how to program the swings on a weekly basis. Been doing it by feel up until now, but would like to dial it in a bit for recovery purposes.

The Cost of Adaptation

Am I right from reading this article that my best bet would be to do S and S style swings ALMOST EVERY DAY on top of the NW GTG practice?

I was also thinking of following the Tim Ferriss "minimum effective dose" workout of 1 set of 50 swings at 3 times a week, since I think it might help me recover more than what Pavel is recommending in that article.

Any input on how to program these 24kg swings into my NW practice would be much appreciated. What worked for you, etc..

Thanks
 

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
my best bet would be to do S and S style swings ALMOST EVERY DAY on top of the NW GTG practice?
This sounds good to me. Work into it gradually - I would start with a small volume of swings every other day, and gradually increase in volume and frequency, e.g., switch to two days on, one day off, and then three days on, one off, etc.

-S-
 

Pavel Macek

> 3k Posts
Master Certified Instructor
I recommend a program that @Pavel wrote for Men's Health in 2015:

Do sets of 10 reps on the minute for as long as you can maintain maximum power. On the surface it seems like the rest is very generous, but remember that we are after power, not “burn.”

Do your swings three times a week, varying the volume. On Friday, do as many perfect sets as you can safely. On the following Monday, do 75 percent of Friday’s number and on Wednesday 50 percent. For example: If on Friday you managed 20 sets, do 15 sets on Monday and 10 on Wednesday.
 

pet'

> 6k Posts
Hello,

To echo, in the NW FAQ we can read:
"Can I follow the Naked Wa rrior program on an ongoing basis?
Yes, but you had better add a big pull, such as the barbell deadlift, the clean, or the kettlebell snatch. None of these has to be done daily in the GTG format. You can train it independently with a more conventional workout, say, twice a week"

Kind regards,

Pet'
 

Marc

> 1k Posts
For some time at the beginning of this year I did only OAP and Pistols.
I then started mixing in pullups and 1H swings.
2-3x/week pullups; 2-3x/week swings alternated the two. For swings I just did them S&S style i.e. 100 reps each one done as explosiveley as possible. I autoregulated it: on days that I did not feel as fresh I just had longer rest between sets.
 

Jak Nieuwenhuis

> 1k Posts
This sounds good to me. Work into it gradually - I would start with a small volume of swings every other day, and gradually increase in volume and frequency, e.g., switch to two days on, one day off, and then three days on, one off, etc.

-S-
Awesome this sounds like a plan to follow. I will start with the 24kg, doing 5 sets of 10 repetitions, mixing 2 handed and one handed at first. Then I can move on to making all five sets one handed. Then I can add sets, till I hit 10 sets of 10 one handed every other day... then I can start adding frequency..
 

Jak Nieuwenhuis

> 1k Posts
For some time at the beginning of this year I did only OAP and Pistols.
I then started mixing in pullups and 1H swings.
2-3x/week pullups; 2-3x/week swings alternated the two. For swings I just did them S&S style i.e. 100 reps each one done as explosiveley as possible. I autoregulated it: on days that I did not feel as fresh I just had longer rest between sets.
Instead of Pullups I've been doing mostly one handed rows on the TRX, done in GTG format as if it was a OAPU variation..
 

Jak Nieuwenhuis

> 1k Posts
Thanks for the help everyone!

Just as a side note to people practicing Naked Warrior right now: the higher volume of one armed swings has really been noticeable for me, in terms of improved conditioning on my part AND added strength, especially in the OAPU.

The swing really is a workhorse power builder, especially for someone like myself with a skinny frame and relatively bad squatting dimensions. it builds all over strength that seems to cross over well to calisthenic activities
 

pet'

> 6k Posts
Hello,

Swings transfer extremely well to lots of moves. If we consider bodyweight moves: push up, pull and squat.

I noticed that they helped me a lot to get the pistol (in addition to a more specific training of course). They also permit to maintain a "acceptable" level regarding pull ups.

Related to TNW + swing mix, as always it strongly depends on the goal. If one is after strength (not power, so 'explosive strength') and not about cardio / conditioning, then, the incorporation has to be very smooth. No more than 2 a week, and maybe not the 100 OA swing (at least at the beginning). The pace of incoporation is simple: if pistol quality decreases, doing less swings can be a good approach to get enough recovery. A proper balance between the 2 exercises can be a tricky thing to find. Once one is adapated to the swings, increasing their volume - let's say a few sets more - can be worth considering. If this volume increase is the same for all training session, progress / regression is easy to track

For instance: Session A: 50 ; Session B: 50 ; Session A': 60 ; Session B':60. If after a few weeks, pistol quality is not decreasing, then, doing more swings is possible IMO.

Kind regards,

Pet'
 

Jak Nieuwenhuis

> 1k Posts
Hello,

Swings transfer extremely well to lots of moves. If we consider bodyweight moves: push up, pull and squat.

I noticed that they helped me a lot to get the pistol (in addition to a more specific training of course). They also permit to maintain a "acceptable" level regarding pull ups.

Related to TNW + swing mix, as always it strongly depends on the goal. If one is after strength (not power, so 'explosive strength') and not about cardio / conditioning, then, the incorporation has to be very smooth. No more than 2 a week, and maybe not the 100 OA swing (at least at the beginning). The pace of incoporation is simple: if pistol quality decreases, doing less swings can be a good approach to get enough recovery. A proper balance between the 2 exercises can be a tricky thing to find. Once one is adapated to the swings, increasing their volume - let's say a few sets more - can be worth considering. If this volume increase is the same for all training session, progress / regression is easy to track

For instance: Session A: 50 ; Session B: 50 ; Session A': 60 ; Session B':60. If after a few weeks, pistol quality is not decreasing, then, doing more swings is possible IMO.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Pet' you read my mind.

My pistol quality has been decreasing since taking on more swings (almost every day).

Not by a lot. I can still do them, and pretty well. But I notice it. For instance I couldn't pistol the 35lb bell on my left leg the other day.

Overall strength / conditioning feels improved, but certainly the pistol is "sharing the airplane seat" with the swing at the moment.

I think it could also have to do with the fact that my go to pistol variation is currently the "cardio squat", which will probably weaken my balance over time if it is my chief variation.

I do stand by my (sloppy) theory that swings are pushing my OAPU to the next level though. I think they are building the complete body strength to help me out.

Interesting that you think the minimum effective dose for me would be 100 swings per week with a 24kg bell, building up slowly to 200 swings per week.

Thanks for the interesting perspective!

Cardio squat for reference:

 

pet'

> 6k Posts
Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
I know that what will follow is not exactly an answer regarding swing programming:
Rucking is also very interesting related to conditioning. This is a pretty smooth activity, which is easily "scalable" (weight, duration, pace). It offers plenty of benefits. We could even consider a mix of rucking and swing session.

Kind regards,

Pet'
 

kennycro@@aol.com

> 1k Posts
I'd like to take my swings up a notch ...

I currently have a 16kg and a 24kg bell.

Heavier Kettlebell

To effectively take you "Swing up a notch", you need to perform you swings with a much heavier Kettlebell.

A 24 kg Kettlebell isn't provide you with the optimal training effect.

The Kettlebell Swing load need to be near your body weight. That means if you weight let's say 160 lbs; Kettlebell Swings need preformed with Kettlebell in the 160 lb range.

The determinate factor of the size/weight of the Kettlebell Swing is dependent on your objective.

However, finding heavier Kettlebells is difficult at times and expensive.

The solution is the...

Hungarian Core Blaster

The cost of making your own Hungarian Core Blaster is around $20 plus the cost of some Standard Weight Plates. What you need is..

1) $20 worth of pipe from Lows or Home Depot.

2) Standard Weight Plates. The cost of used is about 65 cent per pound.

It takes about 5 minutes to assemble the Hungarian Core Blaster.

The Hungarian Core Blaster works great for Swings. I've loaded mine up to 175 lbs and need more weight.

Are Heavy Kettlebell Swings Better Than Deadlifts? | T Nation

Bret Contreras' research on the Kettlebell Swing demonstrates that much heavier Kettlebells are needed to elicit a greater training effect.

There is also a video in the article that demonstrates how to make you're own Hungarian Core Blaster for Kettlebell Swings.


Been doing it by feel up until now, but would like to dial it in a bit for recovery purposes.
Active Recovery

Active Recovery means performing an exercise that increase blood flow to the tissue. Increasing blood flow allows...

1) Nutrients to be delivered to the tissue for repair.

2) Metabolites (garbage) produced from intense training session are removed.

The purpose of Active Recovery Training sessions need to focus on lighter load with higher reps to increase blood flow.

...my best bet would be to do S and S style swings ALMOST EVERY DAY on top of the NW GTG practice?
Recover Training

An Active Recovery day following an Intense Training Day can accelerate Recovery.

I was also thinking of following the Tim Ferriss "minimum effective dose" workout of 1 set of 50 swings at 3 times a week, since I think it might help me recover more than what Pavel is recommending in that article.
"Minimum Effective Dose"

Performing "1 set of 50 swings at 3 times a week" is one method of Active Recovery.

The objective of a high rep set like this is to increase blood flow. The load in ANY Active Recovery Training Session need to be light and easy.

Too many over ambitious turn an Active Recovery Training Session too hard. In doing so, they push themselves in to a state of "Overtraining" rather than recovery.

Active Recovery Training session can be simply shooting baskets on a basketball court, light jogging, performing high reps with light load in an exercise, taking a walk, etc.

Kenny Croxdale
 

Jak Nieuwenhuis

> 1k Posts

Heavier Kettlebell

To effectively take you "Swing up a notch", you need to perform you swings with a much heavier Kettlebell.

A 24 kg Kettlebell isn't provide you with the optimal training effect.

The Kettlebell Swing load need to be near your body weight. That means if you weight let's say 160 lbs; Kettlebell Swings need preformed with Kettlebell in the 160 lb range.

The determinate factor of the size/weight of the Kettlebell Swing is dependent on your objective.

However, finding heavier Kettlebells is difficult at times and expensive.

The solution is the...

Hungarian Core Blaster

The cost of making your own Hungarian Core Blaster is around $20 plus the cost of some Standard Weight Plates. What you need is..

1) $20 worth of pipe from Lows or Home Depot.

2) Standard Weight Plates. The cost of used is about 65 cent per pound.

It takes about 5 minutes to assemble the Hungarian Core Blaster.

The Hungarian Core Blaster works great for Swings. I've loaded mine up to 175 lbs and need more weight.

Are Heavy Kettlebell Swings Better Than Deadlifts?
Are Heavy Kettlebell Swings Better Than Deadlifts? | T Nation

Bret Contreras' research on the Kettlebell Swing demonstrates that much heavier Kettlebells are needed to elicit a greater training effect.

There is also a video in the article that demonstrates how to make you're own Hungarian Core Blaster for Kettlebell Swings.




Active Recovery

Active Recovery means performing an exercise that increase blood flow to the tissue. Increasing blood flow allows...

1) Nutrients to be delivered to the tissue for repair.

2) Metabolites (garbage) produced from intense training session are removed.

The purpose of Active Recovery Training sessions need to focus on lighter load with higher reps to increase blood flow.



Recover Training

An Active Recovery day following an Intense Training Day can accelerate Recovery.



"Minimum Effective Dose"

Performing "1 set of 50 swings at 3 times a week" is one method of Active Recovery.

The objective of a high rep set like this is to increase blood flow. The load in ANY Active Recovery Training Session need to be light and easy.

Too many over ambitious turn an Active Recovery Training Session too hard. In doing so, they push themselves in to a state of "Overtraining" rather than recovery.

Active Recovery Training session can be simply shooting baskets on a basketball court, light jogging, performing high reps with light load in an exercise, taking a walk, etc.

Kenny Croxdale
How interesting that you are framing the Tim Ferris protocol done with a 24kg bell as Active Recovery. Done along with the hip thrusts and flying dogs he suggests, it really feels that way.
 

kennycro@@aol.com

> 1k Posts
I recommend a program that @Pavel wrote for Men's Health in 2015:

Do sets of 10 reps on the minute for as long as you can maintain maximum power. On the surface it seems like the rest is very generous, but remember that we are after power, not “burn.”
Cluster Sets

"Every Minute On The Minute", EMOM is Cluster Set Training. As Macek states is one of the most effective method of increasing Power; optimally overloading and developing "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber.

"Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber are responsible for high Power Output. These muscle fiber are exhausted in approximately 10 to 15 seconds.

Once the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber in an exercise they are not longer being innervated/trained.

Continuing to push a Power Training Exercise past once the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber are exhausted is ineffective.

Inter Set Repetitions

Research and empirical data show that taking rest periods between sets of repetition, allows for restoration/recovery of the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber.

Rest periods between repetition in a set of 10 to 40 seconds. no longer than 60 seconds, ensure recovery for "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber. The short rest periods enable you to produce Power Output, engaging, working and developing the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber.

"...As long as you can maintain maximum power..."

This is a vital point in Power Training.

That because a drop in Power means...

1) You are not working the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber.

2) You are not training Power.

Thus, when your Power drops, taking 10 plus seconds before performing your next repetition allows the "Super" Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber to recovery and be brought back into play.

Kenny Croxdale
 

kennycro@@aol.com

> 1k Posts
How interesting that you are framing the Tim Ferris protocol done with a 24kg bell as Active Recovery. Done along with the hip thrusts and flying dogs he suggests, it really feels that way.
The Research "Framing"

The "Active Recovery "Framing" is based on research, so it not mine.

Passive Recovery

Decades ago, the belief was that Passive Recovery (sitting around doing nothing) was the key to acceleration training recovery. Research found that Passive Recovery was less effective.

One of the keys to accelerating the healing process is...

Active Recovery

Research show that Active Recovery accelerates the healing process in training and everything else, as well.

It is mandatory for individual who have cardiac surgery, knee replacements, etc. to immediately get up and get moving.

My wife had both knees replaced early one morning. The evening they had her get up an walk. It was a short, painful walk that only lasted about 5 minutes.

Each day after her surgery, they had her walk morning, noon and night

Chip McCain Recovery Training

McCain was one of the best Dealifters of is time. McCain pulled a 799 lb/362.5 kg Deadlift in 1979 at a body weight of 198 lbs/90 kg.

McCain trained his Deadlift Heavy every other week. On his off week, he trained it Light.

McCain's Light Deadlift Training was for recovery. His Light Deadlift Training Days poundage varied; it made no sense.

When ask about his reasoning for Light Deadlift Weight, McCain stated, "I make my Light Days light."

McCain's Light Deadlift Days did not involve a Training Percentage.

McCain used what is referred to as...

Auto Regulation

McCain's Light Deadlift Weight selection was based on how the weight felt.

Once it began to feel heavy, McCain STOPPED.

The Take Home Message

Active Recovery is all about getting nutrients to the tissue and taking eliminating Metabolites (garbage) from intense training sessions, via increasing blood flow.

Kenny Croxdale



 

pet'

> 6k Posts
Hello,

Making your way toward swinging the Beast, even comfortably swinging the Beast on a regular basis will give your swing a notch. However, this is a long process. The heavier you go, the more tension you have to generate to avoid injury. Swinging 48, regardless how much you weigh is impressive.

I am far from an expert, and there are plenty of people far more knowledgeable (and stronger) than me, however: I weigh about 63kg, can swing on an everyday basis the 40kg.
- Heavier (at least 44), it becomes taxing and then I lose the benefits of both "conditioning" and power training. I have to take longer rest during the proper training. Plus my recovery is longer.
- If I go for a lighter bell, I have to change the strategy: maximum reps per X minutes.

Beyond pure physics, technique is crucial. We tend to be less flexible when we use an heavier bell. So the levers are different. It can be harder to really control the move.

Plus, the long haul has to be considered. If the goal is to do it everyday (or so), maybe this is better to get the proper weight (heavy enough to work, light enough to recover). That way, we are always fresh.

Regarding recovery, I always go for easy rucking (light weight, short distance) or simply walk, swim. Most of the time, I use these activities 2 or 3 times a week. Wim Hof Breathing and cold showers (even contrast shower) are also a game changer for me. I recover far more faster now.

Kind regards,

Pet'
 

Jak Nieuwenhuis

> 1k Posts
Hello,

Making your way toward swinging the Beast, even comfortably swinging the Beast on a regular basis will give your swing a notch. However, this is a long process. The heavier you go, the more tension you have to generate to avoid injury. Swinging 48, regardless how much you weigh is impressive.

I am far from an expert, and there are plenty of people far more knowledgeable (and stronger) than me, however: I weigh about 63kg, can swing on an everyday basis the 40kg.
- Heavier (at least 44), it becomes taxing and then I lose the benefits of both "conditioning" and power training. I have to take longer rest during the proper training. Plus my recovery is longer.
- If I go for a lighter bell, I have to change the strategy: maximum reps per X minutes.

Beyond pure physics, technique is crucial. We tend to be less flexible when we use an heavier bell. So the levers are different. It can be harder to really control the move.

Plus, the long haul has to be considered. If the goal is to do it everyday (or so), maybe this is better to get the proper weight (heavy enough to work, light enough to recover). That way, we are always fresh.

Regarding recovery, I always go for easy rucking (light weight, short distance) or simply walk, swim. Most of the time, I use these activities 2 or 3 times a week. Wim Hof Breathing and cold showers (even contrast shower) are also a game changer for me. I recover far more faster now.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I know this is off topic, but how would you suggest rigging up a rucksack?

I walk as my main method of transport, so I do quite a bit of that, including carrying groceries a couple of times a week for at least a mile.

Would like to increase my "stand in the same spot for 2 hours" endurance and I imagine rucking would build that.
 

kennycro@@aol.com

> 1k Posts
Hello,
- Heavier (at least 44), it becomes taxing and then I lose the benefits of both "conditioning" and power training.
Power Training

The Kettlebell Swing load need to be heavier that the majority of individuals are using.

The reason most are using a light Kettlebell are:

1) Lack of knowledge regarding the load the maximizes Power Output and development.

Dr Bret Contreras research data demonstrates and provide some information on that.

2) Economic and Practically: The cost of heavier Kettlebells is part of it. Secondly, heavier Kettlebells that are necessary for Kettlebell Power Training are 'One Trick Pony"; they are good for Kettlebell Swings but pretty much nothing else.

Conditioning

The protocol for Conditioning (GPP) is completely different from Power and/or Strength Training.

However, some Conditioning can be obtain with a heavier with the right protocol. More on that in a minute.

I have to take longer rest during the proper training. Plus my recovery is longer.
The Inverse Relationship

There is an inverse relationship between Intensity and Time. Intensity in this case being the percentage of 1 Repetition Max. !RM

As the percentage of 1RM increases (Intensity), the amount of recovery time need to increase as well. Research provide the various Work:Rest Ratio Periods for Conditioning (GPP), Power and Strength Training.

One interesting example is...

SupraMaximal Intensity Training, SMIT

SupraMaximal Intervals meaning that each "Sprint" is performed with all out effort. Research shows that Longer Rest Period are necessary between all each all out "Sprint" to elicit a greater training effect.

The same application is mandatory in performing Heavy Kettlebell Swings in eliciting a greater training effect.

44 kg Kettlebell

As I noted in my previous post, Kettlebell Swings need to be performed with a load that is near or the same as your body weight. Your 44 kg Kettlebell Swing falls into that category since you weight around 63 kg.

However, progressive overload need to be implemented with all forms of Strength Training (Limit Strength, Power and Speed).

Also, an increase in Limit Strength produces an increase in Power. When that occurs there need to be an increase in the Power Training load.

Thus, at some point in your training, increasing the load of a Kettlebell "Power" Swing is necessary, if you want to increase your Power Development.

- If I go for a lighter bell, I have to change the strategy: maximum reps per X minutes.
Lighter Kettlebell Swings

They have a place in training.

Lighter Kettlebell Swings can be used as a Speed Training Protocol, with the right number of set, reps and rest periods are implemented.

Hypertrophy and Endurance Training are developed when the right protocol of sets, reps and rest period are implemented.

Beyond pure physics, technique is crucial.
"Technique is Critical"

It applies to any movement that you want to develop the right technique in.

To ensure good technique is maintained and developed in any exercise, it is MANDATORY that the exercise be STOPPED once fatigue set in.

Once fatigue set in, technique falls apart. Secondly, the muscle firing sequence changes. The end result is it becomes a completely different exercise.

We tend to be less flexible when we use an heavier bell.
Based On What?

Precisely what research data do you have to support that?

Two method contradict that...

1) Olympic Lifters: This group of athletes are behind gymnast. A large part of what makes them so flexible the use of heavy load in fully stretched positions: Full Squats and Overhead Snatches.

2) Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) Stretching: This is an extremely aggressively stretching method that dramatically increases flexibility; a force similar to Kettlebell Swings and Olympic Lift is employed with PNF.

If anything, swinging a heavier Kettlebell promotes greater flexibility. The force of the Kettlebell falling back into the hole increasing the stretch due to the greater amount of force/weight applied. Force = Mass X Acceleration.

So the levers are different.
What do information do you have support that assumption?

The only way the levers would change or be different due to fatigue which would create a different movement pattern which would mean you essentially be peforming a different hybrid exercise.

It can be harder to really control the move.
Controlling Movement

Any change in movement patter is cause by muscle fatigue and/or weak stabilizer muscle.

To reiterate, fatigue change the movement pattern to other muscle groups, turning the it into a hybrid exercise.

Fatigue and/or weakness of the stabilizer muscles essentially don't maintain the "Groove" of the movement in a specific plane.

Plus, the long haul has to be considered. If the goal is to do it everyday (or so), maybe this is better to get the proper weight (heavy enough to work, light enough to recover). That way, we are always fresh.

Regarding recovery, I always go for easy rucking (light weight, short distance) or simply walk, swim. Most of the time, I use these activities 2 or 3 times a week. Wim Hof Breathing and cold showers (even contrast shower) are also a game changer for me. I recover far more faster now.
Overall

This makes sense.

Kenny Croxdale
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom