all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Programming Swings & Push-ups for the long term

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

camaro hair

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi, all -

I've been doing the S&S program for several months now. I currently only have a 53-lb for both exercises. A dilemma I am facing involves my new residence in a basement apartment. The ceiling is too low to complete the standing position of a Get-up. I love the program so much and hate to deviate... but is there another program out there that combines long-term Swing programming with something like resisted Push-ups? I have several bands to add to the latter. I want to continue chasing at least the Simple goal with the Swing. Thanks.

Reactions: ali
Before doing S&S, I was doing swings with squat thrusts (Burpees to some) with a pushup doing descending reps. Start out say with 10 reps of swings then 10 reps of squat thrusts w/ a pushup. With minimal rest or no rest do 9 reps of swings and 9 reps of squat thrusts w/ a pushup. then 8 reps of both, 7 reps of both, etc. I was up up to a starting rep count of 14. I kind of miss it so I may start throwing in a day a week doing those.

You could also do the get-up to the lunge position taking it a bit slower than usual. That's what I do. Still a great exercise.

Sometimes when I'm dealing with a low ceiling I'll do 1/2 ups and then pushups or tall-kneeling presses followed by some kb lunges. Not quite the same but it seems to work.

You could also do the get-up to the lunge position taking it a bit slower than usual. That's what I do. Still a great exercise.

Adapting Juri's suggestion, you could also do what he says in getting to lunge position, then rack the bell, stand, down to knee still in rack, press the bell overhead again, and then continue.

I second @Juri and @Michael Perry. A big advantage of the TGU in a minimalist program is that it's in the gray area between a static press and a loaded carry. I doubt you would get nearly as much return from push ups. You could do your S&S swings, and then super set push ups and various loaded carries w/ your KBs... but then you're consuming more time and it's not really a minimalist program anymore.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom