all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Programming: Too much overhead work?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mightstone2k

Level 6 Valued Member
Ladies and gentlemen,

I am about four months into a year-long run through the Novocaine template. For those not familiar with it, Novocaine works on a 7-session cycle. You train through all seven sessions before starting the cycle again.* Each session trains a different quality. It is not tied to a specific timeframe; you take however long you need to complete the cycle--whether it's a week, a couple weeks, or even a month--before repeating it. The cycle is set up as follows:

1. Strength (S&S)
2. Aerobic (low intensity steady state (LISS))
3. Anaerobic (Q&D)
4. Aerobic (LISS)
5. Strength (S&S)
6. Aerobic (A+A)
7. Aerobic (LISS)

The programs in parentheses are those recommended in @Justin_M's article and are what I'm using for this year's run-through (snatching for both Q&D and A+A). I plan to switch up the programs for next year's run-through. There are other things I want to train in the kettlebell universe beyond swings, TGU, and snatches. Here is what I'm thinking about for next year:

1. Strength (Kettlebell STRONG w/double C&P)
2. Aerobic (LISS)
3. Anaerobic (Q&D 044 w/snatches)
4. Aerobic (LISS)
5. Strength (Kettlebell STRONG w/double C&P)
6. Aerobic (A+A according to the Kettlebell StrongFirst plans using LCCJ, single and double)
7. Aerobic (LISS)

I picked these programs because (1) I love snatching, (2) I really want to do the LCCJ, and (3) I love doubles, especially the clean. I was tempted to use Hec G's The Russian Bear for the strength sessions, which is purely double cleans, or run Kettlebell STRONG with double cleans. But I want to include the press somewhere if I can, because pressing has been out of my programming for a while (not counting a run through Dry Fighting Weight).

So here's my question: is this too much overhead work? At the moment, I'm doing three to five sessions per week (more like three or four since we had our firstborn), so that's two or three kettlebell sessions per week.

*I'm deliberately oversimplifying. There are base sessions, and you can add either a strength supplement, an endurance supplement, or both on top of the base sessions. I don't supplement right now and don't expect to, so those are not factoring into my planning.

1. Strength (Kettlebell STRONG w/double C&P)
2. Aerobic (LISS)
3. Anaerobic (Q&D 044 w/snatches)
4. Aerobic (LISS)
5. Strength (Kettlebell STRONG w/double C&P)
6. Aerobic (A+A according to the Kettlebell StrongFirst plans using LCCJ, single and double)
7. Aerobic (LISS)
I once did a cycle (not Novocaine) of exclusively C&J; I felt fantastic. I think you'll feel the same following your template. Some times you'll hit 5 and 6 back to back, others you won't. It'll just be natural waviness.

I once did a cycle (not Novocaine) of exclusively C&J; I felt fantastic. I think you'll feel the same following your template. Some times you'll hit 5 and 6 back to back, others you won't. It'll just be natural waviness.
Yeah, hitting days 5 and 6 back to back right now is the hardest pairing. That’s good feedback, thanks!

Throw in a couple sets of upper body pulls on a day you have time. You may feel fine for 2 months, 6 months, 18 months, whatever, but there’s no way to know if down the line the imbalance will result in an overtraining injury. There’s nothing wrong with focusing on overhead pressing movements for a while (or some other movement pattern), but minimal maintenance for the balancing movement is a good idea. I’m talking even 10-15 reps of comfortably heavy pull-ups/rows/etc; nothing crazy that really has an energy cost which would take time and resources you don’t have because of life and your focus on overhead pressing movements. You can sneak them in as warmup exercises, like the Goblet Squat is for many strongfirst swing workouts.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

Hi
Also working on a novacainish program this last year (probably all my Life). Planned to make a 12 Month template.
Objective:
1. Make the jump in S&S from 24kg kb yo 36kg kb.
2. be able to run easily again,
3. Take my ring pullups to 15 again (today i can make 8-10 cold), Pu from 30 to 50.

Idea:
Day 1: am S&S p.m. opt. 5 sets pullups/pu
Day 2: am road work - Liss and evolve to short intervals (e.g. 4 x 800, 6 x600, 8 x 400, 10 x 200 + 5 x 50)
Day 3: ídem day 1
Day 4: am road work Liss, and evolve to brief tempos (4 x 5’, 2 x 10’, 1 x 20’ + 5 x 50mt)
Day 5: ídem day 1
Day 6: 70-90’ liss
Day 7: longer protocol with KB swings (until the Jump is made) or combination of swings and burpeess /repeats (variará day), more volumen un TGU.

The first week each Month, no tempo, shorter Inter al session, shorter Liss, reduces volume in pullups/pu.

Progresión:
Pullup/push up: delta 20%- keep volume the dame during each Month (other than the delos week)
S&S: following adachi’ s advice, increase volume gradually 1 rep at a time with the 24kg.
Runs: I run by feel with an analógic Watch, the idea is that runs will become easier on a 12 Month period.

Opinions? Recommendations?

Hi
Also working on a novacainish program this last year (probably all my Life). Planned to make a 12 Month template.
Objective:
1. Make the jump in S&S from 24kg kb yo 36kg kb.
2. be able to run easily again,
3. Take my ring pullups to 15 again (today i can make 8-10 cold), Pu from 30 to 50.

Idea:
Day 1: am S&S p.m. opt. 5 sets pullups/pu
Day 2: am road work - Liss and evolve to short intervals (e.g. 4 x 800, 6 x600, 8 x 400, 10 x 200 + 5 x 50)
Day 3: ídem day 1
Day 4: am road work Liss, and evolve to brief tempos (4 x 5’, 2 x 10’, 1 x 20’ + 5 x 50mt)
Day 5: ídem day 1
Day 6: 70-90’ liss
Day 7: longer protocol with KB swings (until the Jump is made) or combination of swings and burpeess /repeats (variará day), more volumen un TGU.

The first week each Month, no tempo, shorter Inter al session, shorter Liss, reduces volume in pullups/pu.

Progresión:
Pullup/push up: delta 20%- keep volume the dame during each Month (other than the delos week)
S&S: following adachi’ s advice, increase volume gradually 1 rep at a time with the 24kg.
Runs: I run by feel with an analógic Watch, the idea is that runs will become easier on a 12 Month period.

Opinions? Recommendations?
I used that schedule successfully a couple years ago. I didn't do so much intervals and tempos, just focused on easy runs; but that being said I like your running plan. I don't think the burpees add anything in your schedule, but if you love them go for it. I would also say pull-ups are a main goal for you, but you only include them as optional evening work. If they're a main goal, they shouldn't be optional.

@John K thanks for the input. I’ll make pullups mandatory. You’re right. Pushups the other way are secondary. I will take note of the Numbers Just to see the progresión.

Burpees…. Probably i Just don’t want to los e the ability, but I have your same opinion.

Thanks

@John K thanks for the input. I’ll make pullups mandatory. You’re right.
If it becomes difficult doing AM S&S / PM Pull-ups and hard to always get in pull-ups in the evening, you can still train them in the morning. Two strategies I have used successfully is to simply add them after Swings and Getups, or to intersperse them (set of swings - set of pull-ups - set of swings - set of pull-ups, or set of getups - set of pull-ups - set of getups - set of pull-ups). The second option helps especially if you are crunched for time.

Thanks for that. Truth s S&S/runs are at home before sun rise, pullups are in the rings at the office. Hope after i repair the garage I can put the rings back home.

Will the volume be to low? Y expect to increase my aeróbic base with this, and gaón some strength. Will 5 sets of pushups/pullups 3 times a week, starting at 100pu/25 pullups build some mass?

Thanks for that. Truth s S&S/runs are at home before sun rise, pullups are in the rings at the office. Hope after i repair the garage I can put the rings back home.

Will the volume be to low? Y expect to increase my aeróbic base with this, and gaón some strength. Will 5 sets of pushups/pullups 3 times a week, starting at 100pu/25 pullups build some mass?
I would suggest modifying as you go. If you stop progressing, you may need more volume or to start adding weights. I wouldn’t expect a lot of muscle growth, but again, adjust as you go. If you don’t see size gains, you might need something different. There are a lot of other folks here that could help you get bigger better than me, especially just using bodyweight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom