all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Programming: Tweaking programs for intermediate / master's while preserving the progression / intent

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
At my age and fitness level I find I sometimes get stuck between beginner and advanced programs. A tiny tweak I have been using for published programs has helped. What I do is just repeat the first week and other weeks of programming as necessary. I got this idea from the linear step model of PPT where you repeat the same workout twice before adding weight to slow it down. In this way you can slow down a 4 week or 6 week program to make it 6 or 8 weeks, which still places it with common standards of periodization. It seems like a tiny tweak but the extra week of foundation can often help you to follow a program more successfully by the third week of the program as written.

The benefit of this approach is that you don't mess with the progression or exercise choice and intensity or density of the person writing the program but it can allow you to complete programs as written. I have done this with programs from Geoff Neupert and Aleks Salkin.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom