all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Progress from S&S to SFG1

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Daz8

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,

I've been following S&S for a while now and closing in on the Simple standard (timed)

I've just finished the revised edition also which has really re-invigorated training.

My question, I want to achieve SFG1 next year (I'm UK based so may be the Paris course or a UK date if that appears)

Should I begin the skills training now alongside S&S or wait until I achieve Simple and use the base strength developed from that to effectively make the snatch test etc "easier"?

I don't currently feel like I have any business snatching but don't want to be playing catch up in a few months time.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I would highly recommend adding the skills training in now, especially if you are going to sign up for that France Feb 2020 certification. Its not too far off.

Simple and Sinister will provide you with an excellent base for the swing, squat and getup technique tests providing your technique is good. With regards to fitness, if you are close to Simple and using the 32kg bell regularly and not a million miles off the timed standards, the 24KG bell (assuming you will be in that weight class) will feel nice and light and you will likely have a solid foundation to train for the cert on.

If this is the scenario for you (again, assuming as you didn't say exactly how long you have been training, what kettlebell you are using etc), you likely have enough in the tank to perform the snatch test. You would be better of focusing attention on maintaining your work capacity you have gained through simple and with the 3 months left to the cert dial in your technique on the snatch, cleans and presses.

Remember, the cert is not really the place to learn the movements, it is the place where they will get refined.
Its also not really all about the snatch test, the technique teats are equally important. Remember if you fail the snatch technique test you cant even try the snatch test!

Hope this helps,
In summary i say get doing double cleans, double squats, snatches and presses and maintain or keep pressing forward gently with Simple.

Cheers
Aaron

I agree with @Aaron17 ... Train the skills now. Press, squat, and snatch will be very difficult if you haven't got some time and strength building in with them.

(Edit/Add: I should add "clean". I helped a guy prepare last year for SFG I and he passed everything except the cleans, and had to make that up by video after! Take nothing for granted.)

S&S will help you! But it should not be your only training. If you are "closing in on the Simple standard (timed)"... you're in good shape there.

Check out my article for some ideas... You can also see some training options, and the volume of training that worked well leading up to the cert (adjust your weights accordingly for your snatch test bell). How to Prepare for and Pass Your SFG Level I | StrongFirst

Also meet with an SFG if you can! Just one or two sessions will be invaluable in helping you aim your efforts.

Last edited:
@Anna C is dead correct with regards to building strength on these skills too. Technique is important but I believe a significant strength reserve is key to being successful at a certification.

Its funny, during the weekend your technique improves but your strength and energy actually will dip. What this means is that you don't want to go into the weekend sneaking 5 repetitions on the press, clean or squat. You need to be owning them.

@Daz8 if you need any more advice regarding the cert pm me. Im based in the UK too and can give you an indicator on what to expect if you have any more queries.

Thanks
Aaron

Very much appreciated thanks! Will begin practising skills straight away.

Anna, reading that post now. Thanks again!

For the snatch test in particular, getting to Simple and doing lots of heavy swings will definitely help, and you should keep doing it. This will be your bread and butter.

But you also need to snatch. Success in the snatch test comes down to a combination of base conditioning and snatch technique. You need both to succeed.

I saw a few people at my cert who clearly had the requisite physical capacity, but burned up so much extra energy on their snatches that they didn't make it.

It's also good idea to spend some amount of time snatching a bell heavier than your test size. This helps build strength and technique. Low-volume sessions (sets of 3-5) of heavy snatches -- with plenty of rest between sets -- will make a big difference over time.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Brett Jones prep program worked for me, along with a very solid 1.5+ yrs of S&S before that.
As Tim Swanson said above you need a good snatch base and peaking strategy to bag the snatch test. And as Anna said you need solid technique in kb skills before going, don't worry you'll get much opportunity to perfect technique at the cert. Aaron makes some good points on the fatigue factor too.

Good luck!

Here is an older thread you might find interesting

Effort Comparison: Simple vs SFG I

In that post I tested the SFG standards when I achieved Simple. I couldnt do the SFG as my wife will give birth any time soon, so I can't tell you how I did in the cert.

A little while after that test I tested the snatch test with 24 and got to 88 reps. Some 6 months later I tested again and got to 100.

Good luck!

@Bret S.'s comment about peaking reminded me of something else. While snatching heavy is important, snatching light can also be helpful as well, especially as you get closer to the cert.

I discovered this largely by accident. In the three weeks leading up to my cert, the only implement I had access to was a 16 kg kettlebell. My test size is 24 kg.

I was worried at the time. In retrospect, it may have been a blessing in disguise.

My program was simple, courtesy of SFG Blake Nelson.
  • 100 snatches every day, at the test pace or close to it
  • 5 getups per side every day
  • Jump rope, crawling
This was easy and took about 15-20 minutes per day, which was perfect since I was on vacation.

(I don't necessarily recommend going on vacation right before the cert, but it might be just the thing to force you to take it easy.)

I came into the cert feeling fresh and well rested. The high volume of light snatches not only gave me a lot of practice on my technique, but also kept my calluses in check. I didn't have any hand problems during the cert or the snatch test.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but it's food for thought.

Last edited:
While the swing, clean and snatch are all ballistics and begin with a hinge and hike pass, the trajectories are different so definitely spend time learning them and making the techniques for each better..

A lot of people have the conditioning to pass the snatch test but not dialing in the rhythm and how to manage the fatigue once it kicks in is what causes them to miss getting the 100 reps in under 5 minutes.

If possible, I would definitely work with an SFG to plug in those gaps..

Keep us posted and best of luck

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom