all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Progressing past 3 pull-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Based on some reading I’ve done since I first posted this, I think I did too much volume. One and 2 didn’t feel that hard so I did 3 reps per set most of the time and I did between 10 and 20 sets between the time I got home from work and the time I went to bed.

Here are some thoughts for improving your pull-ups (and for anyone else who may be struggling with this) from my perspective:

1) Give it time. When I did ladders I noticed my pushups jumped up quickly while my pullups only went up by .5 or 1. How long have you tried ladders? I would dedicate about 2 months before trying something different.

2) Don't "modify". S&S, FPP, A+A and LSD are all effective programs and if you deviate you will not find the results you are looking for. It take a lot of patience. If it says "do this nearly everyday" don't drop down to 2 or 3 days a week.

3) Trust the process. We military folks tend to add things to our training. I used to double CrossFit workouts because my body had such a high capacity for pain and endurance. I do the same with StrongFirst. I'll do S&S and then ruck, and MARSOC short card, and.....I would assume you might be doing the same thing. Evaluate your programming and ask yourself "why" a lot. What are your goals? How is each and every workout achieving that goal? If it doesn't achieve the goal or is "extra" cut it out. You may not be getting your pullups because you are doing too many rows, or butterflies in the pool, even too many pushups can fatigue your pullups.

Based on some reading I’ve done since I first posted this, I think I did too much volume. One and 2 didn’t feel that hard so I did 3 reps per set most of the time and I did between 10 and 20 sets between the time I got home from work and the time I went to bed.
I see. Well, you worked up to 10-20 sets of 3 reps on a daily basis for a couple of weeks and couldn’t manage 4 reps in a row after doing that? I'd say that's definitely giving GTG a fair shot.

I’m not sure I even have advice for that 0_o I admit I've never had such a plateau. I’m sure it is frustrating. I wish you good luck man :)

Thanks. I’m gonna back off a little bit. Hit 2 reps with a lot of sets for a while and work Some regressions see if I’m missing something little. If not I’ll start working band pulls at higher reps and see if I just need to practice higher reps per set

I increased my Pull Ups by focusing on doing Chin Ups, a similar but seriously underrated exercise.

The more Chin Ups I could do, the more Pull Ups I could do.

I will try doing some chins with the pulls.

no I haven’t done any weighted pulls yet, everything I’ve read has said wait until you can to 15-20 etc reps before adding weight. Couldn’t find a reason tho

I increased my Pull Ups by focusing on doing Chin Ups, a similar but seriously underrated exercise.

The more Chin Ups I could do, the more Pull Ups I could do.
Chins I can do 6 chest to bar in a row. Did them exclusively today (about 20) and I’m feeling a bit of Something in the “funny bone” area. Doesn’t hurt but it feels like it’ll start hurting if I keep them up.

Russian Fighter Pull up program is amazing. I just finished it for the first time yesterday, I could only do 3 reps with a 40lb weight attached to me.. I now honestly feel like I can do 10-12 in a row.. I'm going to run it for another month with the same weight except now I'll be starting at the 6 rep point. Let's see if I can do 20 in a row at the end of May. I'm not even going to bother testing my max after this first month, I'm just gonna jump right into the next monthly program to avoid wasting time recovering from testing my max.

Just some things I recommend if you will try the Fighter program:

Don't do any other movements, I think the reason I increased my reps so quickly was because I literally didn't introduce any other strength movements and I didn't fatigue myself, the volume in the program is a lot already.

On the off days, I occasionally would take an extra day instead of the one day off prescribed... It really made a difference and will make sure your reps are high quality.

Take as much rest in between sets as possible.

The carryover is real. Just fooled around with my 32kg kettlebell and tried one hand swings, they felt easy, I couldn't do them before.

Apart from all the excellent advice given, why not work on chinups on other days??

That will strengthen the groove but allow you to get more reps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom