all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Progressing too quickly

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maine-ah KB

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello All

Is there such a thing as progressing to quickly? for example a month ago i was working with the 16kg bell for Clean-press and snatchs and swings at 20kg. i have since moved to S&S and own the weight at 24kg for swings and and can use the 24 for between 2-4 reps. i feel physically fine doing so but is there such a thing as moving to quickly? i know that longer rest intervals are better for strength and waving the load is beneficial for recovery (and avoiding injury.) and when i take the recommended rest time of 5mins or more i always feel like i'm ready to go before then. is it the same with moving up in weight? can you feel ready to do 4 reps with a certain wieght take that number to 2-3?

Let my know your what your experience, wisdom and/or opinions tell you.

Listen to your body. This is probably the most important thing to remember when exercising. It doesn't matter whether you work with the bells or only the bodyweight. Work on the proper technique and when you will feel like it's no longer difficult for you skip to heavier bell or more challenging version of the exercise.

We all progress individually. There are a lot of factors at play. Some people burn out working too much or hurt theirselves by moving to a heavier weight without really being ready for it. But even if it pays to be cautious it makes no sense to not progress at your true level. It takes some experience to know whether you're good at where you are or not. Try to ask someone more experienced to tell if you're unsure yourself.

When I was younger, I would progress quite fast. Especially at new lifts(think gym machines or cables, dumbells and barbells). When I was younger, I got injured a lot. It was either the hard sparring, or the always going the heaviest I could handle strength training.
As I am now 50, I really need to own the weight, to avoid injury or over training.
I also really focus on good form and proper body tension.
I miss the old days of having PRs at the gym, every week or few weeks. But I don't miss the constant pain!
Now I am trying to let my body dictate when I am ready to move up in weight. I guess my brain is unreliable to make that decision, from past experience.
Well everybody is different, maybe you're anti-fragile, I'm not.

Al

i have since moved to S&S and own the weight at 24kg for swings and and can use the 24 for between 2-4 reps. i feel physically fine doing so but is there such a thing as moving to quickly? i know that longer rest intervals are better for strength and waving the load is beneficial for recovery (and avoiding injury.) and when i take the recommended rest time of 5mins or more i always feel like i'm ready to go before then. is it the same with moving up in weight? can you feel ready to do 4 reps with a certain wieght take that number to 2-3?

Can you describe a little more how you are doing your S&S session with 24kg? Not sure what the "recommended rest time of 5 min" would be. And when you say 2-4 reps, do you mean your get-ups, so 2 to 4 of the 10 total are with 24kg, and the rest with 20kg?

Hello,

@Maine-ah KB
As long as you do not overtrain, and as long as you focus on proper technique and body signals, you train safely. Then, everyone progress at different paces. That's perfect if you progress fast actually :)

I also notice - but this is only my body, maybe only my case - that we I just start a program or a just start a new move, I progress very fast. I think progression "from scratch" or from something really new is fast. Then, we we stay for long time in the same program, progression tends to slow down a little. Of course, you still progress, but you have to dedicate more time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Anna C the 5 min thing is from this article “Long Rests”: A Revolution in Interval Training and in ETK pg 135. my understanding being that between sets rest 5 mins if you're training for strength, its not mentioned in S&S and i mostly did it when i was C&P in ROP, i'm not really doing that now. when i took time to rest for 5 mins i generally felt recovered about 2-3mins before the 5 minute mark.
the 2-4 are L/R so "20kg l/r, 24l/r, 24 l/r, ect" so i of the total 10 get ups when i say 2 i mean 4 of the total reps 10 and when i say 4 i mean 8 of the total reps 10. I feel fine doing so, but one of my goals was to not "bulk up" a lot and my girlfriend was wondering if my moving quickly up in weight would actually contribute to that or somehow be detrimental since neither of us are physical trainers with that kind of knowledge. I think there might have been a bit of confusion for her as I was C&P with the 16kg and TGU with the 24kg. She just thought I had jumped 8kg in one month with the same exercise which seemed like a lot to her. But perhaps it wouldn't be anyway?! In any case, the post came from a bit of a miscommunication between us and I really appreciate folks time and energy in replying.

@pet' Thanks for your reply!!! I haven't been on great variety of programs (basically 3) and for the most part they have consisted of push ups, squats, pull-ups, ect. but thinking back when i just started training there was a big jump in my progress.

Listen to your body. This is probably the most important thing to remember when exercising. It doesn't matter whether you work with the bells or only the bodyweight. Work on the proper technique and when you will feel like it's no longer difficult for you skip to heavier bell or more challenging version of the exercise.

+1
Progressing too quickly can easily lead to overtraining. Although you may feel up to lifting heavier weights, it is wise to keep working with the one you work with now, until you really own that weight.

OK thanks for the clarification. Sounds to me like you're on the right track, as much as I can tell through this medium, anyway. I wouldn't worry about progressing too quickly unless you begin to feel overworked or like you're not recovering day to day.

Just remember that weight is only 1 out of 100 ways to progress in S&S! What do I mean by that? Well, just to name a few, recovery breathing, breathing during swings, breathing behind the sheild in get-ups, explosiveness in swings, precision in get-ups, shoulder packing in get-ups, shoulder packing in swings, deepening the hip hinge in swings, timing in swings, anti-rotation in swings, bracing the abs and glutes in swings, mindfulness always, QL straddle flexibility, 90/90 stretch and hip rotator flexibility and relaxation, goblet squats deep and prying with back upright, hip bridges, halos deep behind the head and big circles with the elbows... etc. etc., you get the idea. Improvement in each and every area is PROGRESS.

Oh have you seen my video? Not that it's perfect, but some have found it helpful. One Complete S&S session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom