all posts post new thread

Barbell Progression with Push-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mrdave100

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey, I've been following Justa's Singles Program #3 for the last month after doing #1 the 3 months prior (wish this training idea had been around 30 years ago!!) Instead of bench press, I want to do push-ups with the goal of being able to do a planche push-up. I know I can slowly increase resistance by gradually moving my hands back towards my waist and raising my legs. But I'm sure adding a rep every 3-4 days would work as well. What I'm not sure is how I can guage if I'm working in the 70% range. Do I find a resistance level where I can do say 5 solid push-ups and then train with sets of three until it's time to increase the resistance???? Thoughts??

Hi MrDave100
I saw your post yesterday and was hoping that someone wiser than me would answer before I stepped in and risked sounding stupid - so here goes nothing.....
I too have been considering this question as I wished to put together a workout using push ups and swings or snatches + some loaded carries. My idea being doing the press ups in place of bent press in a Bent and Sinister style workout. Again the 70% question arises so with a "volunteer" training partner I did a test. This is how we did the press up.
Squat down - walk hands out to press up plank position - hold for count of 3 - do press up exerting as much force as possible - hold for count of 3 -do press up and repeat until there is a significant loss of force produced.
We are of similar strength and fitness levels and both of us agreed that there was a loss of force on the 6th rep. We then tried doing 3 reps (60%) and agreed that this was a repeatable sweet spot.
I later performed 3 x press ups in the manner described for 8 rounds before 75 swings.
Today I did it again but used 60 snatches. (I was pleased)
I intend repeating this almost daily aiming for 8 - 12 round of the press ups (maybe more as I improve) and 75 - 100 swings or 60 - 80 snatches.
Just as an aside and to give context to my style of training - I have caring responsibilities for my wife and my workouts need to be brief, keep me fresh for important stuff and most importantly free from injuries either accidental or through wear and tear to once again keep me good for other stuff. I believe this set up will give me that. Also the rep ranges fit into those recommended by my hero Dan John.

Wishing you well

Ian

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom