all posts post new thread

Bodyweight progressions to hspu

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@305pelusa : makes perfectly sense. A good pointer for me to work on is getting my arms straight underneath my body. In the video, in some later attempts I tried to push my body through my arms through my body, like in a barbell military press (thinking about it, when not loaded to heavy could be a good exercise to getting to that stacked upon feeling sensation). Handstand to wall, facing the wall.

It is never to late to get form checked and working on that. That's good.

I have not trained for a freestanding HSPU, so I am always open to thoughts, opinions and advise from those who have.

but can you do a freestanding HandstandPush up, because of your training with the wall? does the wall version help?

Hello,

@Sergej
Yes you can but it will be easier to directly learn the freestanding version, thanks to the kick off. Plus, it teaches how to properly bail. This method also make you start with straight arme, so you do not have to manage a press (bent arms) and you will not bend lumbars.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Is there any value in practicing piked stacked HSPUs with one leg extended straight up?

I do not have the space to practice STW, nor kick up safely (no room to bail), so I'm rather limited to what I can do at home.

Is there any value in practicing piked stacked HSPUs with one leg extended straight up?

I do not have the space to practice STW, nor kick up safely (no room to bail), so I'm rather limited to what I can do at home.

I do them @Miguel

For me they are a good way to bridge the gap from a wall supported HeSPU to a full HSPU. I have back & knee issues so I can't afford to have any falls with a dubious landing, so I build strength in the full range like that before move on to pressing out from a frog stand or a pike etc. You can almost completely unload the leg that's not vertical and make them over 90% as hard as a full HSPU so they have a good carry over.

Hello,

If memory serves, Alex Salkins also uses pikes PU as a progression step toward the full HSPU. I think it can be usefull to build back strength and shoulder strength and mobility. It teaches well how to maintain a straight back position too.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom