all posts post new thread

Bodyweight progressions to hspu

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just one person's data point - when I have been able to press 1/2 bw with a kettlebell, HSPU against a wall have been no problem. I think I got them the first time I tried.

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides
when I have been able to press 1/2 bw with a kettlebell, HSPU against a wall have been no problem

I am able to do 2 HSPU against a wall (3 if I am fresh), however, I do not think I am not able to do a press with half bodyweight. I guess I can press 24 / 26 kg but not 32 (1/2 bdw).

However, when I could press 24, I did not do HSPU. I should give a try to see if I can press 1/2 bdw or not.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Here is a excellent article from @Karen Smith about HSPU (part I). So, thank you !
Your Journey to a Handstand Push-up: Part 1

Is it possible to go from this position to free standing HSPU ? What about hand position and back work and placement in this case ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you for your kind word regarding the article, I am glad you like it. This article series I have you begin building bent arm strength in part 1 there will be two more articles in this series. Part 2 will cover straight arm strength and part 3 will cover the full HSPU, then you could proceed through all progressions to eventually advance to free standing.

Hello,

@Steve Freides

I am able to do 2 HSPU against a wall (3 if I am fresh), however, I do not think I am not able to do a press with half bodyweight. I guess I can press 24 / 26 kg but not 32 (1/2 bdw).

However, when I could press 24, I did not do HSPU. I should give a try to see if I can press 1/2 bdw or not.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Let me know how it goes for you. I have someone doing a trial program at the moment using the HSPU to achieve their 1/2 bw press for level 2.

Hello,

@Karen Smith
Part 2 will cover straight arm strength and part 3 will cover the full HSPU, then you could proceed through all progressions to eventually advance to free standing

Ah yes, I am eager to read it ! :)

trial program at the moment using the HSPU to achieve their 1/2 bw
As a "side program" I do either ladders or a maximum reps in a row to vary intensity and volume. I will tell you my results ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

http://www.strongfirst.com/journey-handstand-push-part-2/

Here's part 2 - hope you guys enjoy. Part 3 coming soon.
What movement does this series develop? By HSPU, I assume a push up done in a freestanding HS with full ROM. That's the terminology I learned from gymnasticbodies and seems to be the main one used by most people in calisthenics.

Or is it the HeSPU, which is a freestanding push up in a handstand, but done on floor (so only head to ground,which is about half of the ROM).

Or is it the wall-assisted HSPU (which again in full ROM)? Or the wall-assisted HeSPU (head to ground)?

As you can see, saying HSPU can be a bit vague and I couldn't quite figure it out from the articles so far. So just curious

Part 1 - Goal to use progressions to build bent arm strength and stabilizers using the headstand.
Part 2 - Goal to use progressions to build straight arm strength and stabilizers using handstand.
Part 3 - not published yet .. but final stage to begin moving between bent arm and straight arm range of motion.
In SFB manual Pavel listed HSPU as Handstand Pushup. We are building on these progressions for each person to assess their strength/ability and select appropriate place to begin in their journey. If someone already has solid wall supported handstand pushups then yes absolutely advance to freestanding handstands, and freestanding handstand pressing.

Part 1 - Goal to use progressions to build bent arm strength and stabilizers using the headstand.
Part 2 - Goal to use progressions to build straight arm strength and stabilizers using handstand.
Part 3 - not published yet .. but final stage to begin moving between bent arm and straight arm range of motion.
In SFB manual Pavel listed HSPU as Handstand Pushup. We are building on these progressions for each person to assess their strength/ability and select appropriate place to begin in their journey. If someone already has solid wall supported handstand pushups then yes absolutely advance to freestanding handstands, and freestanding handstand pressing.
Uhhh... Sorry still a bit confused. I guess I'm just asking about the final step covered in the series.

Will the final, hardest step/exercise that will be covered in the third part be a wall-supported HSPU or a freestanding HSPU? Will it be full ROM or just to the ground?

It's just out of curiosity. The series is called "Journey of Handstand Pushup" and I'm just curious as to what the final destination is hehe.

I'm currently working on my freestanding HSPUs and it would be really cool to see a SF article covering that exercise. That's why I was asking if it was considered part of the journey in your series.

Thanks coach!

freestanding handstand pressing.
Actually Coach Smith, I've started to get quite a bit into Handstand Pressing. Mostly straddle but a bit of pike as well. I know you have very good flexibility from seeing your HLRs, and seem to be very familiar with the gymnastics world. How familiar are you with HS pressing? I'd love to get a form check at some point if possible.

Thank you for the help once again!

Actually Coach Smith, I've started to get quite a bit into Handstand Pressing. Mostly straddle but a bit of pike as well. I know you have very good flexibility from seeing your HLRs, and seem to be very familiar with the gymnastics world. How familiar are you with HS pressing? I'd love to get a form check at some point if possible.

Thank you for the help once again!
Fairly familiar from our teaching them at the SFB certification. I would be happy to look at them. You can email me your video at Karen.smith@strongfirst.com
Are you currently doing them freestanding or supported? or are you speaking of more of a straddle to press into a handstand vs hspu?

Fairly familiar from our teaching them at the SFB certification. I would be happy to look at them. You can email me your video at Karen.smith@strongfirst.com
Are you currently doing them freestanding or supported? or are you speaking of more of a straddle to press into a handstand vs hspu?
Coach that would be incredible. I prefer SF for a lot of these calisthenics exercises because I think gymnastics websites have unrealistic expectations of performance. I get much better feedback from people like you and Steve who are a bit more realistic as to what regular folks should be looking towards.

I can do them freestanding at the moment. Yes, a straddle or pike HS press. As in, going up to a handstand with straight elbows and knees. My biggest concern (and isn't that everyone's concern with HS pressing?) is that I'm leaning more than I should and that my active hip compression isn't good enough. If it looks OK, I'll work on them more often. If it looks like too much lean, I'll continue with my stretching before doing any more to avoid grooving bad form. That's my dilemma in a nutshell.

@305pelusa, you are an exceptionally talented "regular folk" based on what I've seen. I thank you for your kind words, but especially want to thank you for your intelligent contributions here, both in your own questions and in your responses to the questions of others.

-S-

Uhhh... Sorry still a bit confused. I guess I'm just asking about the final step covered in the series.

Will the final, hardest step/exercise that will be covered in the third part be a wall-supported HSPU or a freestanding HSPU? Will it be full ROM or just to the ground?

It's just out of curiosity. The series is called "Journey of Handstand Pushup" and I'm just curious as to what the final destination is hehe.

I'm currently working on my freestanding HSPUs and it would be really cool to see a SF article covering that exercise. That's why I was asking if it was considered part of the journey in your series.

Thanks coach!
The final step in my 3 part series is the wall supported HSPU to the floor. However the next progressions would be to slowly increase your high and until it is a full range of motion and also work on free standing holds then try to start doing freestanding HSPU. I personal can not do at this time, so I would be happy to hear your progress or anyone who has advanced past what my article will be teaching. I would be happy to co-write or interview and write anything past where my article stops. If you have free standing hspu's for reps and are interested in writing/or being interview - send me an email.

The final step in my 3 part series is the wall supported HSPU to the floor. However the next progressions would be to slowly increase your high and until it is a full range of motion and also work on free standing holds then try to start doing freestanding HSPU. I personal can not do at this time, so I would be happy to hear your progress or anyone who has advanced past what my article will be teaching. I would be happy to co-write or interview and write anything past where my article stops. If you have free standing hspu's for reps and are interested in writing/or being interview - send me an email.

I worked a lot on free, full HSPUs some time ago. Got to the point where I was getting consistent sets of 2:

I don't do them much anymore. Barbell Pressing is much easier to overload and transfers real well anyways. I don't know if I can help you a whole lot but yeah if you have questions, let me know. There's a lot of complexity to the movement, even more so than what I think most people explain in articles. It's kind of a rare move so maybe that's why.

Looking forward to Part 3 coach!

Hello,

Barbell Pressing is much easier to overload and transfers real well anyways
Do you consider there is much transfer in daily life with BP than free standing HSPU (like you are doing in your video) or even wall supported full ROM HSPU ?

Besides the strength, I find incredible the balance it requires.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My journey to the HSPU was a bit different to many, it went something like this. I didn't know the difference between a HeSPU and a full HSPU when I started so I was just doing HeSPU's.

First attempt
Kick up to wall, do two ugly reps, fall on head.

Next attempt
Kick up to wall, do one ugly rep get back down

Next attempt
Kick up to wall, fall back down, move hands kick back up to wall do one tight rep.

Next attempt
Kick up to wall, do two reps get back down

Next attempt
Kick up to wall do one rep, start to loose focus (and tension) tweak back, stupidly do another rep. Note to self always stop what you are doing if you hurt yourself and assess damage - be prepared to call it off if needed.

After recovering from tweaked back
Prepare mentally, get tight, practice full body tension before stepping up to wall, respect this move.
Do one perfect rep

Next attempt
Prepare mentally, get tight, practice full body tension before stepping up to wall, respect this move.
Do two almost perfect reps.

Now before every attempt at either HeSPU or HSPU
Prepare mentally, get tight, practice full body tension before stepping up to the wall or parallettes etc, respect this move.

Account for weak days and be prepared to drop a rep if you are struggling. Numbers don't always behave like they should with HSPU's, some days are stronger than others.

As a tool for learning gymnastics style full body tension and concentration this an exercise par excellence, relax or loose focus and you can get hurt. I lost focus one time and gave myself a minor rotator cuff tear near the bottom of the lift.

For me the HSPU really exemplified the Strongfirst principles of tension and focus. It taught me to switch it on in my mind well before I even made an attempt. After you get one good rep it almost becomes like a Zen thing, you have to train your mind to stay in that state of focus for the duration, lose focus and the game's over.

Hello,

Do you consider there is much transfer in daily life with BP than free standing HSPU (like you are doing in your video) or even wall supported full ROM HSPU ?

Besides the strength, I find incredible the balance it requires.

Kind regards,

Pet'
By transfer, I meant transfers to the HSPU. As my BB Press gets better, my HSPU also gets easier.

I think unless you're doing hard manual labor, nothing here will carry-over to real life hahaha. I just do it to get stronger and move on to harder exercises.

@Harald Motz ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom