all posts post new thread

Nutrition Prolonged fasting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Do you guys that do a prolonged fast , say over 24 hours, follow a low carb/keto type diet?

Do you guys that do a prolonged fast , say over 24 hours, follow a low carb/keto type diet?
I just finished a 72 h fast and dont follow low carb or keto diet. I wonder if a keto diet would help with fasting, being more used to it.

Being a slim guy with little or no fat to burn and working towards Simple, I wonder if IF could jeopardize the process? Or is there nothing to worry about? I’m past the period where I had to have a big calorie surplus to progress to heavier weight, when my appetite went over the charts.

I’m considering IF for long time health reasons as well as better mental resilience.

I had been experimenting with 16h fasts a few times, was useful to get trough a demanding day of work in full focus. But I don’t do that on a regular basis.

Also, had anyone tried the ‘primer 52’ training/diet program by Christian Thibaudeau ?

Can anybody speak to their experience with training during extended fasts? A friend recently turned me on to Cole Robinson and the Snake Diet and it's one of the more novel pieces of media and entertainment I've come across.

I am a big fan of Thomas Delauer's Youtube content and he is a big believer in the power of extended fasting as a tool. I am just wondering if anyone in this forum has played around with fasts in the 36-72hour range while using SF training, and if there are any personal rules of thumb you have followed or found successful?

Can anybody speak to their experience with training during extended fasts? A friend recently turned me on to Cole Robinson and the Snake Diet and it's one of the more novel pieces of media and entertainment I've come across.

I am a big fan of Thomas Delauer's Youtube content and he is a big believer in the power of extended fasting as a tool. I am just wondering if anyone in this forum has played around with fasts in the 36-72hour range while using SF training, and if there are any personal rules of thumb you have followed or found successful?
I did a 72 hour fast and trained during it. This is what I did:
  • On day one of the fast I had only fasted for a few hours, so I trained normally.
  • On day 2 I did my scheduled training, but it was a relatively light day with good rest. All went well.
  • Day 3 I didnt train. I just took a rest day and trained the next day, when I wasnt fasting.
The 3 day fast didnt interfere with my training. Just plan for a normal day on day one, a light day on day 2 and a rest day on day 3.

Is anyone having stomach issues after prolonged fasting I'm doing 48 hours at a time with a day break in between, I'm seeing the weight loss results I want and the mass gains but my stomach is killing me after the night after I start eating again.

You'll need to experiment with what you eat to break your fast. Have something gentle - think breakfast-like food, perhaps - and then, a little while later, more substantial food. It's traditional in most fasting cultures I'm aware of to break a fast in this manner.

-S-

I have been fasted over 100 hours now lots of water.
In terms of strength training in a fasted state I do a lot of GtG long rests and leaving it in the bank seems to really let me keep lifting and not having to worry about destorying my body.

Not medical advice by any means but my experience as a T1D who does prolonged fasting

@Mooman when breaking a fast I avoid meals with super palatability (Carbs Protein and Fat) as they will instantly stick to your ribs, I love keto and generally stay there but when I consume my first postfast meal I like small amounts of food consisting of Carbs and Protein. If keto after that first meal I go into my keto thing.

Its also a great time to try single ingredients, any reactions you normally have to a food are going to be magnified and you can isolate foods that are disrupting your body

Hi all,

I'm finishing day 2 of my first 72 hour fast. So far so good, I was only hungry today before dinner, aside from that all good. I did A+A snatches this morning, and plan on training tomorrow as well.

A few questions to the more experienced ones on fasting:
  1. A good book about fasting you recommend?
  2. I've been drinking coffee and tea. Is there any benefit in not drinking these?
  3. I've also put some sea salt grains in my mouth, not much but some. Should I avoid this?
Thanks!

For me I don't like the feeling that coffee and tea give me when I'm fasting. For me my stomach hurts.

I love day 2 of fasting...I think it's easier than day 1. It's like I can feel my body burning those fat stores. But anything over 3 days is tough for me so I usually just do 2-3 days. But that's just me.

125 hours of water,black coffee, and sea salt only last Sept. I kept my workouts going throughout, but they were pretty light, not smokers.
Brain wise I felt decent, but if I had to do a timed mental test I would have been slow. Most interesting for me was after day 3 my am HRV score from my Suunto watch pegged at 100, meaning fully recovered. Yes, easy workouts during the fast, but I had easy weeks in the past and had not seen that number. Also interesting to me, a very nice rebound for the next month or so post fast, excellent training days. And as mentioned in other posts, nice to know you can stop stuffing your pie hole for a handful of days and have it be no problem.

I used to do 40 hour fasts. They work incredibly well. I just don't like the mental game obsessing over food. Fasting is a muscle that needs to be practiced. I don't even like 24 hours anymore.

What's working for me right now is eating well. 90% compliance. On non workout days, lower carbs. I don't feel keto is healthy for your kidneys over the long term.

No one ever got fat eating an apple.

Yep!

Sharing my experience I have seen my friends fast for 24 hours and some for 72 hours. It depends on a person;s body intake and strength which is why taking advice is a must from doctors or naturopath.

Regular fasting therapy technique reduces weight gain and Insulin Resistance. Also, practicing it for a longer period helps blood flow faster and regenerates our cells.

Hi all,

I'm finishing day 2 of my first 72 hour fast. So far so good, I was only hungry today before dinner, aside from that all good. I did A+A snatches this morning, and plan on training tomorrow as well.

A few questions to the more experienced ones on fasting:
  1. A good book about fasting you recommend?
  2. I've been drinking coffee and tea. Is there any benefit in not drinking these?
  3. I've also put some sea salt grains in my mouth, not much but some. Should I avoid this?
Thanks!

Hi its older post but my recommendention Are :

Put Himalai Salt or Sea Salt about 5-15grams yeah I Really write 5-15g of Salt on new studies but I think you Are active when you dont be active put fewer 2-5g to your water during a day and maybe you Can mixing banking soda with Salt in 1:1 ratio

Put potasium Up to 3grams and magnesium Up to 5grams

My book number one about fasting Jason Fung books All IT :)

Be Well and Strong

Best
Pat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom