all posts post new thread

Barbell Protecting floor from deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tirofijo

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm lifting in my garage on typical horse stall mats from Tractor Supply and use cast iron weights.

I try to control the weight going down on deadlifts but as the weights are getting heavier I'm descending quicker. I'm starting to worry about my concrete floor. Should I be?

Would a sheet of plywood help dissipate the force and add some protection?

I've used two old atv tires before. When lying on their sides, the big pĺates were sort of cradled by the tires.

FWIW, I have deadlifted for more than a decade on 3/4" rubber mats on top of handmade tiles on a concrete basement floor. No wood involved and, to date, no damage to anything underneath the rubber mats. My DL's max at about 350 lbs. so if you lift heavier, YMMV, but for me, so far, so good.

-S-

Adding the plywood would surely help.
Here's how to make a platform...

I've got two of these platforms in my garage that I made and they're fantastic. Neighbor has used them with DLs in the 450 range (mine have only ever maxed at 320 so far) and no issues and no damage to the floor beneath.

You should be good.
My whole garage is covered with horse stall type mats ands taken some brutal work over the years on them from heavy DL's to overhead KB drops.
Yes the the plywood would give extra protection or you could cut a mat into two pieces and put those under your plates for extra protection.IMO that extra 1/2" will not make a big difference if your concerned about it.

I've been lifting on nothing but a horse stall mat, no issues. I actually dropped a 45 from a pretty good height directly on the concrete once last year and it didn't do anything.

When I get around to it, I’m going to put 3/4” plywood under my two 4’x6’ mats. I’m not going to build a true deadlift platform. Sounds like it might not be necessary but I figure some plywood is cheap insurance.

I have particleboard (similar to plywood, but smoother), and a $3 mat (the inter-locking puzzle piece kind) from Five Below cut in half and screwed down to it. Works great!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom