all posts post new thread

Nutrition Protein bar suggestions UK

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
I've heard quite a few adverts for RX bars on various podcasts recently, and they sound pretty good. Protein bars made from actual food (egg whites, nuts, dried fruit).
I think having a box in my desk at work would be much better than all the treats they have down in the med school cafe.
Before I take the plunge and order some does anyone else have suggestions of good protein bars that are available in the UK that I could consider?

According to some extensive marketing research based on cross-cultural, psycho-social, politico-economic lifestyle factors like cost, taste, convenience and a dislike for Tesco the best fruit and nut bars to be found in the UK are from Aldi and Lidl supermarkets. They are branded primal or something.

I make my own when I can be arsed, so shop bought ones win on the convenience factor. Out and about and peckish, out of nut bar ammo, it's a bag of nuts, a banana and a pint of milk. I don't bother with the sport brands, nutri-muscle, muscle max etc, .....if I want a chocolate bar, I have a chocolate bar that tastes good. Can't be doing with expensive tasteless horribly textured chewy lab experiments gone wrong. It's not even proper chocolate.

I'm a big fan of the Builder's Bar by Clif (Clif Bar - Clif Builder's). They're chewy and filling (the peanut butter ones in particular). They're by no means the healthiest option when compared to more whole-food based protein bars, but they're a lot better than a Snickers.

Since you're from the UK, I'd recommend primal bars. I've tried some of their regular bars, which are sadly not sold in Estonia any longer, and liked them. Also, delivery is free within mainland UK.

I've heard quite a few adverts for RX bars on various podcasts recently, and they sound pretty good. Protein bars made from actual food (egg whites, nuts, dried fruit).
I think having a box in my desk at work would be much better than all the treats they have down in the med school cafe.
Before I take the plunge and order some does anyone else have suggestions of good protein bars that are available in the UK that I could consider?
I am an Rx bar fan, either as a snack or at the end of a meal to have something a little bit sweet but not junk food. There is a decent balance of carbs, fat and protein in them, and I like the flavor (can’t get my young kids to eat them, though I guess that makes it easier for me to have them handy). Yes, I could make my own but some times I am willing to pay a bit for convenience and variety. Sounds like it may be a fit for your purposes, though I wouldn’t call them protein bars (around 12g or so).

@Norcoaster - protein bar was probably the wrong phrasing. 12g is better than the cakes I might buy at work instead. I'm going to give them a try

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom