all posts post new thread

Nutrition Protein Burnout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
1 Gram Of Protein Per Pound of Lean Body Mass

That is a good recommendation.
From a muscle building/strength perspective does there seem to be any benefit to a carnivore diet over keto? I do carni since it eliminates any guess work or carb counting... but I also am not afraid to eat some broccoli if it shows up. Just most days it’s steak and eggs.

also... any input on carb “re-feeds”. Is that all BS? Does it help in any way? Does it hurt if you’re on a ketogenic diet to cycle carbs in once a week or so?

I really do appreciate the thorough responses always!!! <3

I notice a benefit to randomly jacking up my carbs. ( fruit,honey,goat milk ) with training sessions where I'm chasing the clock, going on the :30, intervals, and the like.
I found this group of people on Reddit or something were all binging on honey because it was “carnivore”. So funny.
But to your point. Im only concerned with carbs because I still have some body fat to lose and the carb cutting is the easiest way for me to lose weight in my experience. Whether it’s ketosis or not or just eating sub maintenance calories it seemingly works for me.
I’m super open to adding in some stuff though if it will help performance will, long term, be beneficial.

I found this group of people on Reddit or something were all binging on honey because it was “carnivore”. So funny.
But to your point. Im only concerned with carbs because I still have some body fat to lose and the carb cutting is the easiest way for me to lose weight in my experience. Whether it’s ketosis or not or just eating sub maintenance calories it seemingly works for me.
I’m super open to adding in some stuff though if it will help performance will, long term, be beneficial.
To your point Chris, I myself would be watching my carbs. if the goal was to peel off some fat.

Last edited:
@kennycro@@aol.com
I’m sure you’ve addressed it on the forum before but any input about carbing up once every 5-7 days a-la Vince Gironda “steak and eggs” diet? Any real downsides like not becoming fully fat adapted (if that is a thing) or if it’s possibly beneficial to replenish the glycogen stores, etc... also not really sure if the “glycogen stores” even get depleted since I’m doing ROP and not any cardio. Just trying to lose that last 15lbs and like everyone else in the universe build muscle at the same time.

any input about carbing up once every 5-7 days a-la Vince Gironda “steak and eggs” diet?
Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

This is the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet; like Dr Maurio DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet and Dan Duchane' Body Opus books on it.

Dr Jake Wilson (formerly Director of University of Tampa's Human Performance Lab)

Wilson research determined that Cyclical Ketogenic Diets produce a decrease in muscle mass and increase in fat mass.

EFFECTS OF KETOGENIC DIETING ON BODY COMPOSITION, STRENGTH, POWER, AND HORMONAL PROFILES IN RESISTANCE TRAINING MEN. Source: Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: December 2020 - Volume 34 - Issue 12 - p 3463-3474

Wilson's study had a one week Carb Load after 10 weeks of individuals being on the Ketogenic Diet.

"... the KD condition gained 5 kg of mass from weeks 10-11. Of these, 3 kg were driven by changes in lean mass. It has been demonstrated that reintroduction of carbohydrates after restricted carbohydrate intake increases muscle glycogen levels above baseline, a phenomenon termed glycogen supercompensation..,"

Superhydration

The increase in body weight, muscle mass and strength from Carb Loading occurred due to Superhydration.

A low carbohydrate diet with moderate protein intake dehydrates muscle; until Keto Adaption take place.

The composition of muscle is 70% water. Carb Loading after carbohydrate restriction often produces a Muscle Cell Volumizing effect.

The Muscle Cell Volumizing Effect is one of the affects of Creatine; which increases muscle size and strength.

Superhydration Muscle Cell Volumizing is also elicited with anabolics like Dianabol and Anadrol, as well Prednisone (a Corticosteroids).

A high intake of ibprofin and a high intake of sodium can trigger water retention, Muscle Cell Voluminzing.

The Superhydration Muscle Cell Volmizing Effect increases the muscle firing capacity; you push/pull more weight.

Dehydration

A decrease in performance, muscle size, etc occur (as you know) when in a dehydrate state.

See Saw Effect of Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

When you go a Ketogenic Diet the initial and dramatic weight loss is from water weight loss. During training periods, everything feel heavy.

After a Carb Load, everything feel lighter and easier.

Gironda

I am a huge fan. However, his Carb Loading every 5-7 days does not make sense to me based on the research data and from my practical application of the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet along with two of my lifting buddies; something I posted information on

Ketogenic Diet Adaptation

Research by Volek and Phinney demonstrated that once Keto Adapted, along with an increase in sodium intake, Muscle Cell Volumizing (muscle glycogen) is the same; The Ketogenic Diet and Standard American High Carbohydrate Diet are equally hydrated and with the same amount of muscle glycogen.

Just trying to lose that last 15lbs and like everyone else in the universe build muscle at the same time.

Calories Count

The primary key to weight/fat loss or gaining weight/increasing muscle mass is calorie intake; being in a Calorie Deficit or Surplus.

One of the main issues is that at some point, the body's adapts to the lower amount of calories being consumed and progress stops; The General Adaptation Syndrome.

Diets for losing or gaining weight need to follow the same principle as with Strength Training: Peridization Training. This prevents adaptation to occur, ensuring progress.

The MADATOR Diet Plan

This is a good article, a simplification of the research article.

The MATADOR Weight Loss Diet provides a Periodization Plan that ensures in the long run that greater weight loss is achieved by overriding the body's adaptive process.

Final Thought

Try Gironda's Diet Approach and see what happens. It may work for you.

The best way of learning something is doing it. It allows you to provide first hand information along with research data to others later on.

Last edited:
Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

This is the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet; like Dr Maurio DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet and Dan Duchane' Body Opus books on it.

Dr Jake Wilson (formerly Director of University of Tampa's Human Performance Lab)

Wilson research determined that Cyclical Ketogenic Diets produce a decrease in muscle mass and increase in fat mass.

EFFECTS OF KETOGENIC DIETING ON BODY COMPOSITION, STRENGTH, POWER, AND HORMONAL PROFILES IN RESISTANCE TRAINING MEN. Source: Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: December 2020 - Volume 34 - Issue 12 - p 3463-3474

Wilson's study had a one week Carb Load after 10 weeks of individuals being on the Ketogenic Diet.

"... the KD condition gained 5 kg of mass from weeks 10-11. Of these, 3 kg were driven by changes in lean mass. It has been demonstrated that reintroduction of carbohydrates after restricted carbohydrate intake increases muscle glycogen levels above baseline, a phenomenon termed glycogen supercompensation..,"

Superhydration

The increase in body weight, muscle mass and strength from Carb Loading occurred due to Superhydration.

A low carbohydrate diet with moderate protein intake dehydrates muscle; until Keto Adaption take place.

The composition of muscle is 70% water. Carb Loading after carbohydrate restriction often produces a Muscle Cell Volumizing effect.

The Muscle Cell Volumizing Effect is one of the affects of Creatine; which increases muscle size and strength.

Superhydration Muscle Cell Volumizing is also elicited with anabolics like Dianabol and Anadrol, as well Prednisone (a Corticosteroids).

A high intake of ibprofin and a high intake of sodium can trigger water retention, Muscle Cell Voluminzing.

The Superhydration Muscle Cell Volmizing Effect increases the muscle firing capacity; you push/pull more weight.

Dehydration

A decrease in performance, muscle size, etc occur (as you know) when in a dehydrate state.

See Saw Effect of Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

When you go a Ketogenic Diet the initial and dramatic weight loss is from water weight loss. During training periods, everything feel heavy.

After a Carb Load, everything feel lighter and easier.

Gironda

I am a huge fan. However, his Carb Loading every 5-7 days does not make sense to me based on the research data and from my practical application of the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet along with two of my lifting buddies; something I posted information on

Ketogenic Diet Adaptation

Research by Volek and Phinney demonstrated that once Keto Adapted, along with an increase in sodium intake, Muscle Cell Volumizing (muscle glycogen) is the same; The Ketogenic Diet and Standard American High Carbohydrate Diet are equally hydrated and with the same amount of muscle glycogen.

Calories Count

The primary key to weight/fat loss or gaining weight/increasing muscle mass is calorie intake; being in a Calorie Deficit or Surplus.

One of the main issues is that at some point, the body's adapts to the lower amount of calories being consumed and progress stops; The General Adaptation Syndrome.

Diets for losing or gaining weight need to follow the same principle as with Strength Training: Peridization Training. This prevents adaptation to occur, ensuring progress.

The MADATOR Diet Plan

This is a good article, a simplification of the research article.

The MATADOR Weight Loss Diet provides a Periodization Plan that ensures in the long run that greater weight loss is achieved by overriding the body's adaptive process.

Final Thought

Try Gironda's Diet Approach and see what happens. It may work for you.

The best way of learning something is doing it. It allows you to provide first hand information along with research data to others later on.
Always. Thank you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom