all posts post new thread

Nutrition Protein Powder

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

Hello all,

What is the consensus on this? Some say it is great, some say it isn't worth the container it is in. Some say it keeps you fat.

My head is spinning. I currently use a plant based protein and I don't mind it. I don't like the cost. I don't like feeling like I am dependant on it.

I am not super athelete and generally do two days of strength training, a day off, one more strength day and a conditioning day and two days off. Lots of light cardio (walking) 5 days a week.

I have varying meals as I deal with lots of different children with varying food allergies. I don't eat with them, but I don't like taking the chance. Some days it feels like all I can take is crap.

When I strength train and conditioning I use the "last rep didn't feel like very first one...done" so I have plenty of energy to get through the day. I use EMOTM swings and talk test for snatches on conditioning days. I am thinking about cutting down to just the days I work out.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will probably get as many opinions as there are people on the forum.
My two pennies worth... your wallet might get lean from using protein powders.
I eat real food that I try to not get from a box. However there are also lots of folks here on the forum that I really respect that use protein powders.

I think it's good for the hypertrophy side of strength and adding calories when you're putting on mass. I don't think it is necessary for training the CNS side of strength.

I wouldn't spend my money on it, I'd rather eat a nice juicy steak.

That being said, if you have a busy lifestyle protein powders can be a convenient way to hit you macros every day if it's not easy to do so with a normal diet.

I think it's good for the hypertrophy side of strength and adding calories when you're putting on mass. I don't think it is necessary for training the CNS side of strength.

That is just it. I am 230lbs. I want muscle but not get any heavier.

Protein powder is a bridge to your next meal. It's a supplement, not a replacement. I take mine with whole milk and olive oil, to increase the protein and fat content, increase utilization, and get the nutrition. Milk and bread is a meal to many parts of the world

There has been some threads on the subject earlier on, so I would recommend using the search function.

I think whey protein is a good supplement. It is proven to work. It is by no means necessary.

I'm not a fan of protein powders, but I use them temporarily when busy etc. Basic whey is not that expensive anymore.

Hello,

I used them at the beginning because I weighted only 57kg for 1,82m. Then, when I was training, I had huge difficulties to recover.

With them, and above all a balanced diet, I took some weight (currently 64kg. I took these 7kg in 18 months or so).

More generally, I consider them as a supplement if you want to add muscle mass. They should not replace true food. In mass taking process, they are useful because it would be almost impossible to eat enough "true food".

Otherwise, I use them only like I could use BCAA : recovery. Nothing more.

They are not mandatory at all to be in good health, and achieve goals.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Well there is nothing wrong with protein powder if you cannot get enough protein from normal food sources. It can be handy to supplement with some protein powder.
That being said it is absoluteley not necessary as long as you meet your protein requirenments.

@Marc @pet'

You both asked the same question. I take it because I am worried I don't get enough protein. I need according to me doctor 120-160 grams per day. I really have trouble stuffing down lots of protein.

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
Thus, IMO, you could take some supplements.

I have used bio veg protein (from rice and hemp) with great success.

For someone without health issues, it is about 1,2 - 1,3g/kg/day. For mass increase it is about 2. If you are on physical activities, between 1,3 and 1,8 can be good.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don't think there is anything wrong with them if you use them as others have stated, "as a supplement". For some I can see where they are a great bridge to the next meal.

I would question the use of vegetable protein though. There is a lot of research about soy increasing estrogen in men. So I would stay away from the soy if it's in your vegetarian protein powder.

JMHO

Like above, I use a whey and casein blend on training days, mostly for recovery. I've also got some fairly specific goals. I'm trying to gain muscle while losing fat, so I'm walking a pretty tight line. Primary goal is gaining muscle, but I just recently lost a bunch of weight that I don't want to regain.

@Geoff Chafe I hadn't thought about using olive oil...how's the consistency? I've been using heavy cream and whole milk (water is just too gross) to get the fat content up and the consistency with anything more than a 2:1 milk to cream ratio starts to get a little...thick. I sometimes do a 1:1 ratio, but that's hard to get down, and if I go any higher, I need to use a blender and a spoon. :)

@banzaiengr, soy protein powder is relatively uncommon these days. Rice, pea, hemp - all better sources from what I know, and these are often combined.

-S-

Like above, I use a whey and casein blend on training days, mostly for recovery. I've also got some fairly specific goals. I'm trying to gain muscle while losing fat, so I'm walking a pretty tight line. Primary goal is gaining muscle, but I just recently lost a bunch of weight that I don't want to regain.

@Geoff Chafe I hadn't thought about using olive oil...how's the consistency? I've been using heavy cream and whole milk (water is just too gross) to get the fat content up and the consistency with anything more than a 2:1 milk to cream ratio starts to get a little...thick. I sometimes do a 1:1 ratio, but that's hard to get down, and if I go any higher, I need to use a blender and a spoon. :)
MCT Coconut Oil

So I stopped taking the protein powder and my performance has increased, I'm less sore and less hungry. Just going the whole food route.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom