all posts post new thread

Nutrition Protein timing

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

This question pertains to the timing of protein and post workout protein. I'm still on the fence of having a protein shake at noon for lunch. I am really leaning towards it as it might stop me from having garbage fast food with the guys for lunch. The protein I use is a blend and says it digests at roughly 2,4,5, and 8 hours. It has whey isolate, concentrate, egg protein, and casein. I usually workout around 530-6ish. Since the 8 hour portion of the protein is still circulating and digesting would a post workout shake be overkill or still beneficial?

Hello,

@HUNTER1313
I think it might be beneficial because it could prevent / slow down catabolism if you train with an empty stomach the day after.

Nonetheless, depending on your goal, it also depends on what proteines amount you take. 1,5g/kg of bdw is basically enough. Plus, I remember that the body can not "absorb" more than a certain amount of protein every 2 or 3 hours. I take mine (rice proteines (1 spoon)) just in addition to my diet and I have no recovery issue. I even gain strength (but not necessarily mass).

Kind regards,

Pet'

You can't really go wrong with a little more protein in your diet.

Hello,

IMO, as long as you do not exceed 1.6 or so, that is ok. Nonetheless, this is highly individual. When we increase protein amount, some people also get thirsty.

Kind regards,

Pet'

1,5-2g/bw of protein ist plenty!
It is a myth that the body cannot handle more than a certain amount of protein at a time. The body can and will handle any amount of protein you feed it. It will just take longer for the digestion and thus there will be amino acids floating in the bloodstream for a prolonged time. It is a good idea to have protein after training but note that there is no such thing as an anabolic window, it is rather a barn door. Just make sure to get in your protein within the 24h window. Timing is not too important

It is a myth that the body cannot handle more than a certain amount of protein at a time. The body can and will handle any amount of protein you feed it.

I think people have been studying this forever and have never reached a conclusion.

How do you know?

My own protein analysis would tend to fall into the 'sniff' test....as mentioned in the examine article....rather than an idea of weight or calorie, as I've no idea.
The aforementioned 'sniff' test is an interesting one and in a general generalisation a lot of feedback can be gained by assessing your toilet time. I dunno if that means being mindful but guess it is really. Much like listening to your body for signs of weakness, leakages, breathing patterns in training etc, being attentive to other bodily functions can be useful. I've figured out this, regarding protein, for me that is.....lots of lean protein in a oner is not good. Fattier cuts, stews and protein spread out during the day by grazing on nuts, slurping on milk is digestive nirvana. As is a little less protein but more veg/carb/fat for pigging out. As you can tell, not exactly precise. But there is some kind of threshold for me anyway. I have a rough idea by eyeballing and experience, no idea at all about kg/gram or whatever. Equally it may be my dodgy cooking, haha!!

Hello,

@HUNTER1313
Depending on the protein amount you already take thanks to "normal food", you can take the supplement throughout the day (a shake in the morning, another one in the afternoon for instance).

By the way, do you follow a specific diet or do you have specific constraints (allergy, etc...) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

This question pertains to the timing of protein and post workout protein. I'm still on the fence of having a protein shake at noon for lunch. I am really leaning towards it as it might stop me from having garbage fast food with the guys for lunch. The protein I use is a blend and says it digests at roughly 2,4,5, and 8 hours. It has whey isolate, concentrate, egg protein, and casein. I usually workout around 530-6ish. Since the 8 hour portion of the protein is still circulating and digesting would a post workout shake be overkill or still beneficial?

Protein Timing

Research (Drs Brad Shoenfeld) has demonstrated that protein timing isn't much of an issue when it comes hypertrophy and increasing strength. It has more to do with you daily/weekly consumption.

"These results refute the commonly held belief that the timing of protein intake in and around a training session is critical to muscular adaptations and indicate that consuming adequate protein in combination with resistance exercise is the key factor for maximizing muscle protein accretion." The effect of protein timing on muscle strength and hypertrophy: a meta-analysis

With that in mind, let's at....

Refractory Period

Research (Dr Lane Norton, PhD Nutrition/Pro-Card Natural Bodybuilder/Powerlifter) determined the the dogma of consuming protein about every 3 hours is incorrect. The is not able to utilize protein consume that frequently.

Norton's found that protein consumption was most effective when it was consumed around every 4 - 5 hours. Maximal protein synthesis was optimized when consumed in this time frame.

Thus, consuming protein every 2 - 3 hours amount to trying to soak up more water with a wet sponge full of water. The wet sponge is incapable of absorbing more water.

Branch Chain Amino Acids

Some preliminary research by Dr Layne Noton indicates that between meals (about 2.5 hour after one meal and 2.5 hour prior the following meal) that taking Branch Chain Amino Acids may be able to spike protein synthesis.

Protein Blends

As you noted, protein blends provide a "Time Released" effect. Whey protein is digested in between 20 to 120 minutes (depend on the type of whey), egg is digested around 180 minutes plus, and casein is digested in approximately 300 minutes.

Another one of the benefits is the complement of the amino acids in protein blends. Whey is high in Leucine (an anabolic trigger) while casein is high in glutamine (shown to increase recovery).

Protein Consumption Per Meal

mTOR (Mammalian Target of Rapamycin) is the "Anabolic Trigger" for increasing muscle mass. Think of mTOR as an "Anabolic Light Switch" that turns on the muscle building process. It is triggered by exercise and the Amino Acid, Leucine.

Norton's research found that it take at least 2.5 gram of Leucine to turn on mTOR, even more for older individuals.

Thus, the minimum amount of quality protein (animal proteins, whey, casein, etc) needed per meal is around 30 grams.

Post Workout

Based on the research, it appears that pre and post workout protein intake does matter that much. What matters is the amount you daily protein intake.

Kenny Croxdale

1,5-2g/bw of protein ist plenty!
It is a myth that the body cannot handle more than a certain amount of protein at a time. The body can and will handle any amount of protein you feed it. It will just take longer for the digestion and thus there will be amino acids floating in the bloodstream for a prolonged time. It is a good idea to have protein after training but note that there is no such thing as an anabolic window, it is rather a barn door. Just make sure to get in your protein within the 24h window. Timing is not too important

Great post.

Kenny Croxdale

Even if there are different amounts of leucine in different products, and that the leucine content is one of the main factors as to why whey is the superior protein supplement in general, one can easily add leucine by itself to other kinds of protein. It can be especially useful for vegans.

Hello,

I believe that quality food may be enough to get the macro one needs. Keeping things simple. Adding some can be beneficial if there are some "lacks" though. Of course, some supplement can be necessary if one goes for lots of physical activities.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Regardless of protein absorption rates, if it keeps you from engaging in an obviously detrimental eating habit, it's beneficial.

Mondaý up at 4am. Work till 530pm. Workout around 545ish.
Tuesday to thursday up at 5am. Work till 530pm. Workout around 545pm.
Friday up at 5am. Work till 330pm. Workout around 530pm.
Fast all day. Bcaa before workout. Supper after workout. Try and be sleeping between 9-10pm.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom