all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Protocol to improve running

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Miguel Sunen

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi everyone!
Im focusing on running right now to improve my marks on the infamous 1K (0,62miles). Besides my specific training focusing on hill sprints, interval training and long runs I would like to supplement it with some Strong First practice.
I read an amazing article about running a half marathon using the Deadlift, military press and 1H swings A+A style, but I dont know if there would be carryover to such a short distance. My plan is focusing on A+A swings but I don't know if I should use one or two handed swings.
I would like to know your perspective and experience with this topic and some piece of advice would be appreciated.
Thank you very much.

After I completed timed Simple, my running “wind” was surprisingly good for not having run much the previous year. I think you are spot on with incorporating swings or snatches of some kind.

After I completed timed Simple, my running “wind” was surprisingly good for not having run much the previous year. I think you are spot on with incorporating swings or snatches of some kind.
Same here. The only training I would do for my Navy Fitness Test was S&S 4-5 days a week. I usually kept my rest periods a bit short and that seemed to work well for me.

That's the kind of simplicity I'm looking for! Snatches worked great but I read that swings are more specific to running and less taxing. Thank u
Same here. The only training I would do for my Navy Fitness Test was S&S 4-5 days a week. I usually kept my rest periods a bit short and that seemed to work well for me.
Currently working on my law enforcement test! Will give S&S a shot, keeping rest periods short, thank you!
Is this a 1k in treadmill? 1k flatland? 1k trail? 1k with significant uphill?
Running track. Two laps and a half.

That's the kind of simplicity I'm looking for! Snatches worked great but I read that swings are more specific to running and less taxing. Thank u

Currently working on my law enforcement test! Will give S&S a shot, keeping rest periods short, thank you!

Running track. Two laps and a half.
What's your time frame til test, current time / needed time, other tests required, and current training?

What's your time frame til test, current time / needed time, other tests required, and current training?
Date is expected to be on January or February. My current time is around 3'30", and required under 3'24". Tests are Pull Ups, an agility test and the 1K run.
My training consists on pull up ladders (Medium High Low volume) with small weights following Beyond bodybuilding advices and some GTG or the 20 min pull up protocol from the newsletter on the off days. Currently around 17 reps.
Besides that I snatch 3 days per week (high medium low) and throw some Swings, Goblets and burpees here and there.
Running consists on hill sprints, interval training and I run easy almost every day, plus occasional jumping rope.

I like swings since they hit most of the prime movers used in running. I personally have also enjoyed doing A+A style jumping split squats for running. In particular this has helped with being more efficient at running hills. Id imagine it should also transfer to running on the track.

You might also consider the sprint protocol from Q&D.

Or doing some sort of training at your target pace. Doing intervals at that pace with nice long rest periods in between.

I like swings since they hit most of the prime movers used in running. I personally have also enjoyed doing A+A style jumping split squats for running. In particular this has helped with being more efficient at running hills. Id imagine it should also transfer to running on the track.

You might also consider the sprint protocol from Q&D.

Or doing some sort of training at your target pace. Doing intervals at that pace with nice long rest periods in between.
I've been training them OTM when I have no access to equipment, loving that exercise.
Yes, that's how I approach my interval training, decadent rest periods seem to work better for me, despite some runners hating them.

Building your capacity with more and more sets of hill sprints 1 day per week, 400-600 m sprints another day per week, and a long run of ~ 3miles, probably all you need to focus on for such a short test run. I would also focus very closely on diet leading up to the run, as losing any excess weight/fat will improve your running speed significantly.

If you feel you must add/continue kettlebell training, I would recommend substituting swings for your hill sprint or 400 m sprints that day. For your short run purpose, the Simple goal of 100 swings in 5 minutes with a 32 kg bell sounds about right. You would really want to focus on density, cramming as many swings into a 10-15 minute period as possible, playing with the reps per set somewhere in the 5-15 range.

It's an interesting question. Please post your results and the training you decide to undertake, and good luck!

John

Date is expected to be on January or February. My current time is around 3'30", and required under 3'24". Tests are Pull Ups, an agility test and the 1K run.
My training consists on pull up ladders (Medium High Low volume) with small weights following Beyond bodybuilding advices and some GTG or the 20 min pull up protocol from the newsletter on the off days. Currently around 17 reps.
Besides that I snatch 3 days per week (high medium low) and throw some Swings, Goblets and burpees here and there.
Running consists on hill sprints, interval training and I run easy almost every day, plus occasional jumping rope.
How has your time changed since you started changing this way? Has your pace improvement stopped? What do your interval sessions look like?

Yes, that's how I approach my interval training, decadent rest periods seem to work better for me, despite some runners hating them
I’d personally only compress my rest periods when I got closer to the the test, and then only a small handful of times and make sure I have a 7-10 day taper leading up to the test.

How has your time changed since you started changing this way? Has your pace improvement stopped? What do your interval sessions look like?
l've been shaving a few seconds every trial improving slowly but steady. I would say that improvement hasn't stopped but I would like to make my training optimal and neither over training nor over thinking.
My interval sesions are either 30 seconds resting 2 minutes x8 or 1 minute resting 4 minutes x4. Rest is active jogging since I find it easier on recovery than staying quiet. I'm planning to add more sets or longer intervals(more likely).

l've been shaving a few seconds every trial improving slowly but steady. I would say that improvement hasn't stopped but I would like to make my training optimal and neither over training nor over thinking.
My interval sesions are either 30 seconds resting 2 minutes x8 or 1 minute resting 4 minutes x4. Rest is active jogging since I find it easier on recovery than staying quiet. I'm planning to add more sets or longer intervals(more likely).
How are you pacing your intervals?
What does your snatch training look like?

I realize you asked about using kettlebells to train to improve your 1k run and you may not want sprint training advice. I would recommend talking with a track and field coach or looking up 800m run training.

How are you pacing your intervals?
What does your snatch training look like?

I realize you asked about using kettlebells to train to improve your 1k run and you may not want sprint training advice. I would recommend talking with a track and field coach or looking up 800m run training.
I pace myself to go around test time during longer intervarls and all out during shorter ones.
I used to snatch kinda a+a style adding sets of five every week and trying sometimes longer sets until I complete my rep goal for the day.
As I said my main goal is to get the maximum returns from my kb training without overthinking it but I appreciate running advice as well, since I am a novice in that topic.

I pace myself to go around test time during longer intervarls and all out during shorter ones.
I used to snatch kinda a+a style adding sets of five every week and trying sometimes longer sets until I complete my rep goal for the day.
As I said my main goal is to get the maximum returns from my kb training without overthinking it but I appreciate running advice as well, since I am a novice in that topic.
John is right. It makes more sence to look at your running.
How is your running schedule?
You should pace yourself from what you could run and not what you need to run in your test.

If you're already able to hold the pace you need for 1 minute, and are able to repeat that a couple times, you need to start extending your ability to hold that pace. I would consider starting to do longer sprints at or near your current 1k pace - such as 4x600m or 4x800m @ 95-100% race pace, with 10-15 minutes rest between each sprint. Thats a 2:06 - 2:12 600m and a 2:48 - 2:56 800m if I did my maths right. I think keeping the 30s sprints are fine, although I generally like doing track workouts on distance (100m & 200m sprints for 10-12 repeats at max or near max speed) and resting enough that I don't see more than a 10% drop in times - at that point you either need to rest more or you're too fatigued to make them worth continuing. Generally I like 2 min rest after 100m sprints and 4 min rest after 200m sprints. But again, feel free to train on time for these like you are, but make sure you're maintaining your speed and you're not seeing a big decrease in distance run.

As for kettlebells, I'd probably switch from A&A to Q&D training at this point. If you've been building that A&A engine for a while, nows the time to start getting it to express maximal power.

You’ll take 6s off with the pressure of the day. Short time til test. Train specifically. You’ve only a few weeks really.

Swings for power development.
Heavy DLs if you can.

Keep running. You’ll be ok.

If you're already able to hold the pace you need for 1 minute, and are able to repeat that a couple times, you need to start extending your ability to hold that pace. I would consider starting to do longer sprints at or near your current 1k pace - such as 4x600m or 4x800m @ 95-100% race pace, with 10-15 minutes rest between each sprint. Thats a 2:06 - 2:12 600m and a 2:48 - 2:56 800m if I did my maths right. I think keeping the 30s sprints are fine, although I generally like doing track workouts on distance (100m & 200m sprints for 10-12 repeats at max or near max speed) and resting enough that I don't see more than a 10% drop in times - at that point you either need to rest more or you're too fatigued to make them worth continuing. Generally I like 2 min rest after 100m sprints and 4 min rest after 200m sprints. But again, feel free to train on time for these like you are, but make sure you're maintaining your speed and you're not seeing a big decrease in distance run.

As for kettlebells, I'd probably switch from A&A to Q&D training at this point. If you've been building that A&A engine for a while, nows the time to start getting it to express maximal power.
This information is pure gold! I really like that approach and will incorporate them to my training schedule being aware of not dropping my performance on any interval and getting more than enough rest. I trained years ago with little rest during intervals and my performance dropped like crazy and was totally wrecked after practice.
May incorporate one or two QD practices to my training log, alternating with easy SS.
Thank you very much!
You’ll take 6s off with the pressure of the day. Short time til test. Train specifically. You’ve only a few weeks really.

Swings for power development.
Heavy DLs if you can.

Keep running. You’ll be ok.
Thank you for the confident approach!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom