all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Protocol to improve running

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
This information is pure gold! I really like that approach and will incorporate them to my training schedule being aware of not dropping my performance on any interval and getting more than enough rest. I trained years ago with little rest during intervals and my performance dropped like crazy and was totally wrecked after practice.
May incorporate one or two QD practices to my training log, alternating with easy SS.
Thank you very much!

Thank you for the confident approach!
If you have any questions reach out. Let us know how your test goes!

Building your capacity with more and more sets of hill sprints 1 day per week, 400-600 m sprints another day per week, and a long run of ~ 3miles, probably all you need to focus on for such a short test run. I would also focus very closely on diet leading up to the run, as losing any excess weight/fat will improve your running speed significantly.

If you feel you must add/continue kettlebell training, I would recommend substituting swings for your hill sprint or 400 m sprints that day. For your short run purpose, the Simple goal of 100 swings in 5 minutes with a 32 kg bell sounds about right. You would really want to focus on density, cramming as many swings into a 10-15 minute period as possible, playing with the reps per set somewhere in the 5-15 range.

It's an interesting question. Please post your results and the training you decide to undertake, and good luck!

John
That's the way I'm going to approach my training, nice diet advice as well, since I wanna carry the least amount of fat possible, fasting and low carb are working like a charm!
Definitely following that three day schedule plus some Swings compressing rest periods. Thank you very much

Hi everyone!
Im focusing on running right now to improve my marks on the infamous 1K (0,62miles). Besides my specific training focusing on hill sprints, interval training and long runs I would like to supplement it with some Strong First practice.
I read an amazing article about running a half marathon using the Deadlift, military press and 1H swings A+A style, but I dont know if there would be carryover to such a short distance. My plan is focusing on A+A swings but I don't know if I should use one or two handed swings.
I would like to know your perspective and experience with this topic and some piece of advice would be appreciated.
Thank you very much.

I'm a big fan of the R.M.L.S protocol: Run More Longer and Slower. It never failed me.

You’ll take 6s off with the pressure of the day. Short time til test. Train specifically. You’ve only a few weeks really.
I agree. More specific training for the movements being tested, but limit any new types exercises, stretches, mobility work, especially if n the 7-10 days before. Also, as I mentioned earlier, it f you do a good taper before, your performance will also likely increase. I’ve read in some endurance training manuals, that it can take up to 7-10 days to accrue positive adaptations to endurance training. So the week before, you might consider decreasing intensity/volume, but potentially keep the same number of training sessions. Also, if you don’t already, add in some relaxation/meditation/parasympathetic breathing exercises. If you go into the tests fully recovered (muscoskeletal, neurological, and enzymatic/metabolic), you should see significant improvement from what you were experiencing during training.

I'm a big fan of the R.M.L.S protocol: Run More Longer and Slower. It never failed me.
I will try to implement it between sessions and on easy days. Thank you
I agree. More specific training for the movements being tested, but limit any new types exercises, stretches, mobility work, especially if n the 7-10 days before. Also, as I mentioned earlier, it f you do a good taper before, your performance will also likely increase. I’ve read in some endurance training manuals, that it can take up to 7-10 days to accrue positive adaptations to endurance training. So the week before, you might consider decreasing intensity/volume, but potentially keep the same number of training sessions. Also, if you don’t already, add in some relaxation/meditation/parasympathetic breathing exercises. If you go into the tests fully recovered (muscoskeletal, neurological, and enzymatic/metabolic), you should see significant improvement from what you were experiencing during training.
I like that approach of mantaining same training sessions reducing intensity or volume, will be my way to go for sure.

Bill Bowerman, University of Oregon track coach and co-founder of Nike was known for a few concepts:
  1. Hard-Easy and Hard-Easy-Easy schedule
  2. Easy = fartleks
  3. Hard = 1/4 of race distance repeats @ goal pace for a total of 1-2.5x the total race distance for volume.
Some additional sessions I've found helpful to my PFT times.
  • 3-4x 2-3-5min ladders @ threshold pace (~10k pace) [30sec rest between rungs and 90sec between ladders]
  • 2-4x 1-2-3min ladders @ VO2max pace (~1-3mi pace) [30sec rest between rungs and 5min between ladders]

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom