all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Prying goblet squat for hips....what works like it for shoulders?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

schurgerdc

Level 5 Valued Member
Ever since I heard Pavel talk about prying goblet squats for hip ROM, I've been all about them. I read one thread here that was talking about using the bell as a counterbalance, and as I think about that, I realize that your goal probably should be doing the PGS with lighter to no weight for maximum flexibility. But that's not what I want to figure out right now, as the PGS has helped me immensely & QUICKLY for opening up my hip flexion for squats in general. It's a great tool for those of us with horrible flexibility issues. But what about the shoulders?

I have some pretty bad shoulder flexibility (years of poor posture plus a dislocated shoulder in high school that was never rehabbed properly). As a result, over head presses are a pain, and in general, things aren't great if I want to get a snatch done right. I'm wondering if there's a single exercise for the shoulders that skyrockets flexibility like the prying goblet squat does for your hips.

All thoughts on the matter are appreciated. I'm doing some shoulder mobility work with a band and long stick right now, and while I think it's on the right track, I have a feeling there's something more out there.

Often (but not always) There is a strong connection with bad shoulder flexibility and a thight thorax. To overly simplify, and only if your problem is symetrical, I would look 2 directions :
breathing habits and posture regarding the lumbar and pelvic regions.

Regarding breathing it is often the inhability to relax during expiration and to inhale using too much muscles that is in cause (the muscles which are constantly used turn into fibreous tissue since energy saving is a priority for the body).
Regarding posture when the bottom does'nt do it's job well (the person doesn't look well grounded if it make sense), the upper regions are thight.

so to sum up :
breathing exercises and watching yourself in daily life to see if you breath well (in a relax maner)
try to see if you are "well grounded" and if not do exercises that will help you, aka swings (hardstyle), deadlift....
and of course thoracic spine mobility (arm bar, windmill, superjoint, etc.....) will be usefull

I can't give you ONE drill, I can give you ONE recommendation: FMS.

As for the drills - these are those I use most:

- diaphragmatic breathing
- T-spine extension (e.g. on a foam roller)
- rib grab, Brettzel
- kettlebell armbars (regular, bent)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've been working on thoracic extension for about 2 years, and there's still more to work on there (I usually use baseballs & softballs paired to get that per a colleague of mine). Breathing has been relaxed for the past 15 years for the most part, but that leaves about 27 when I can honestly say it probably wasn't. I like the arm bar, which I have been doing, but that bent arm bar looks good, as does the Brettzel.

Halos... Slow, focused, close to your head/body, and as low as you can while you come around your head. (I have not found that they are as effective as the goblet squat for hips, but, a good tool for sure.)

What is the advantage/difference of the bent elbow arm bar?
All I can say, is do the bent one with a lighter weight to start....I felt the effects of that simple exercise almost immediately!!

BTW, Anna C - I've been doing halo's since I started S&S, and I really like them as tight as possible!!

Try some OS Neck nods. You will be surprised.

What’s The Deal With Head/Neck Nods?
Thank Mike! I do something quite similar to those regularly to keep my neck alignment, as I have a long history of knocking myself out of adjustment when I work out! I actually do what we phrase as "yes's (the nods), no's (cervical rotation) & head glides (the kids call it chicken neck)" between sets if I think I over exerted myself to the point of losing my form integrity in the upper neck/spine.

@Pavel Macek, would you be so kind as to explain more about the bent kb arm bar? I'm really amazed by this simple exercise, and how weak mine seems to be, compared to the my TGU weight (32kg) or straight arm bar weight (24kg). In fact, with the bent arm bar, I'm having a hard time doing 16kg more than 1/2 way down (my 20lb bell gets my elbow on my side). Something tells me this is lynch pin for my current training (doing 1-2 set & hold sets is wiping me out!!)

As an aside, I'm seeing how this exercise parallels wall slides for the rotator cuff. Should it feel very similar only now its under weight?

@schurgerdc I personally see a bent armbar as a part of a continuum:

- rib pull (also called rib grab) > regular SFG armbar
- Brettzel > bent armbar (also called crooked armbar, but bent armbar is a better and probably correct name). Make sure you bring the bent knee quite high, the angle between your thigh and the body should be 90 degrees or preferably less. Externally rotate the kettlebell arm (palm will be facing little bit to the inside). Use a spotter.

I recommend excellent book and accompanying video "Taming the Bent Press" by David "Iron Tamer" Whitley - it covers armbars, bent armbars, and pressing from the bent armbar position in various stages of a get-tup. We have recently organized a workshop with Tamer in Prague, and I have learned about a dozen of various very useful armbars progressions/regressions.

armbr.jpg

For now, I would not been concerned about the weight at all - it is a drill, not a contested skill. Do your light armbars, and work on heavy get-ups. I sometimes do go relatively heavy in bent armbars (I can press 32 kg in bent armbar), and actually treat it as a pressing exercise, to further develop an antifragile shoulder (I have learnt to do it like this from Jon Engum, Master SFG). Definitely not for you right now.

That being said, please refer to my very first answer - i.e. go through FMS - otherwise you might be just adding strength to dysfunction.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom