all posts post new thread

Old Forum PT Test Prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

holdfast

Level 1 Valued Member
Five weeks for my PT test which consists of 2mile, max push up and max sit ups. Finished simple goal, need to lose 10lbs. Any ideas for a program would be great.

Looking to train 5 days a week. I train in the evening at eight so a session around 30-40 mins would be great. This will allow warm up and cool down.

I will try work on the diet side and mobility, but any advice would great here too.

thanks

Ok so for the Army PT test, for me (historically) doing GTG type work throughout the day works best for me (as far as PU & SU go) starting a few weeks prior to the test, so every hour I knock out around 40-50 PU & 30-40 SU or 4ct Flutter Kicks. For the run, as long as I do 5,000m on the rower twice a week I can maintain my run. This may or may not work for you, remember the PT test is "Sport Specific" so training those movements will help.

As far as "needing to lose 10lbs", that's all diet bud. Try drinking a gallon of water a day and cut out all other liquids (soda, tea, gatorade, etc). For some this helps in getting rid of 2-5lbs the first week. And just be smart about the food you put into your body, weight loss really isn't rocket science, though some tend to over complicate it.

Hope this helps.

It doesn't sound as though you're particularly sweating the pushups nor the situps (nor should a man who has reached the "Simple" goals be worried about them, either). As Mr. Fox has already stated, the ten pounds comes down to the kitchen more than the gym. Just do yourself a favor and however you tackle the weight issue, do it in a way that you can maintain once this test is over--as a Navy Command Fitness leader, I can't begin to express my frustration with certain folks when we end up doing the same dance every semi-annual PFT cycle... The crash diets, followed by the ballooning weight immediately after and the accompanying complacency of having six more months before they have to worry about it again.

That said, if you have the conditioning established for it, I would recommend Dan John's 10,000 swings in a month program: https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout . This is one that I subject my students to once they've built up the work capacity to handle it (for me, when they're doing 300 two-handed swings daily in 15 minutes or less with 24k for men and 16k for ladies and are fully recovered before the next workout). It's never let me down, and I can tell you that one completely de-trained male student of mine dropped from 23% bodyfat to 19% as per the notorious "rope & choke", as well as dropping two pants sizes from the experience. He also performed the best PFT he's had in years.

Many ways to skin the cat, though. But I personally feel that you can't go wrong with the simplicity of this one.

Cheers guys,

I have done 10.000 swings twice.Probably not a bad route to take, I did it in Jan this year. Mixing the 32kg and 24kg for the swings and the 32kg for presses and squats. Might have another run again with the 32kg only, but my grip may be an issue in the fourth a fifth ladder.

I am going to do a 30min walk each day at lunch with mobility work. As I keep getting little twinges every few weeks, which has meant I cant get a few solid months stringed together. Plus every time I lose a week or two so does the will to adhere to a diet.

For the diet and try a modified diet recommended by Dan John. This involves three shakes a day and one meal. Its an all or nothing plan, but once I have done it and the test. It will give me a good base from which to have a reasonable routine of both diet and training to adhere to.

Thanks again

Michael

I trained hundreds of Midshipmen for their PT test over several years. Over time we developed a very time efficient, target program to drive up run, pushup and situp performance. It is a simple program. If focuses on the Navy 1.5 mile run but will work well for the 2 mile run. Go here:

http://prevost-training.blogspot.com/p/free-tactical-fitness-programs.html

and scroll down to the 6 week PRT program. It has been tested by many and works well.

Mike

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom