all posts post new thread

Off-Topic PT topless epidemic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Maybe it's because I have been using Instagram more lately (and I follow a lot of people on that who are fitness related) but the amount of guys who do their videos topless has become an epidemic. Don't get me wrong I grew up on Stallone and Schwarzenegger but broadcasting every video topless?? Just turned 40 so maybe it's the onset of grumpy old man syndrome..
Went to a box gym to work out with a younger cousin and it was the same there not a t shirt in sight ....times have changed

I never train in commercial gyms so I don't know what goes on in them. But I do frequent climbing gyms a fair bit. My experience has been that about 50% of them have a rule prohibiting going without a shirt.
Interestingly enough the 50% that don't care are typically the better gyms.
I say if you got it flaunt it... (problem is many haven't got it, yet still flaunt it...:))
***edit*** offwidth guilty as charged...

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I have been using Instagram more lately (and I follow a lot of people on that who are fitness related) but the amount of guys who do their videos topless has become an epidemic. Don't get me wrong I grew up on Stallone and Schwarzenegger but broadcasting every video topless?? Just turned 40 so maybe it's the onset of grumpy old man syndrome..
Went to a box gym to work out with a younger cousin and it was the same there not a t shirt in sight ....times have changed
Well... hell... That pretty much blows it for my next video : /

I train in a commercial gym and I've never seen anyone shirtless. I haven't even noticed it in any way in or on any pictures or videos I see on the net, although I don't really see much. That said, I wouldn't really mind if there were people without shirts. Why not?

I tend to find being around fit people motivational. Seeing them in my Instagram is the next best thing.
If they happen to be shirtless its never bothered me.

I remember when I saw Neighbors (4 years ago) I came out of the Theater charged to workout, mostly because Zac Efron looks awesome in that movie!
(he's often shirtless)

Neighbors-Movie.jpg

4 years later I still find this a source of motivation, I would love to be in that kind of shape.

[But I spent a lot of time at the beach and on the water, so I may have a different background when it comes to going shirtless]

Occasionally I enjoy training in the basement shirtless just bc I'm in the privacy of my own home and that's my space. Pretty rare though as the shirt is practical, operating like a built in sweat rag.

I may start wearing athletic fit shirts in future technique vids just so my body's structure is more visible.

The pool or swimming is the only public place I'll go shirtless.

Some people don't trust a skinny chef...maybe others don't trust a fitness guru who isn't cut?

From a comfort perspective, I prefer to wear as little as possible when I train. That being said, it has to be pretty hot for me to take my shirt off in a public space. Or it has to be an accepted practice wherever I'm at. Essentially it's a courtesy to other people. Not everyone is comfortable with seeing my belly button.

I suppose at one point the shirtless IG video was a way to get attention. Now that it's become more common, people might try to set themselves apart by looking more professional. The more we reward absurdity, the more absurd modesty will seem, and the pendulum will keep swinging.

If it's hot the shirt hits the floor.. It's only mandatory for getups as @Kettlebelephant said. I had a near miss doing a heavy getup, it's dangerous to be slipping around on a sweaty floor.

Personally shirt off isn't all that noticeable to me as I think it's a natural part of high intensity training and keeps the body cooler.

Personally shirt off isn't all that noticeable to me as I think it's a natural part of high intensity training and keeps the body cooler.
Interesting. A sweaty shirt cools me off more than being shirtless. Same goes if I'm walking around outside in the sun. I get hotter if I am shirtless as the sun light is beating down directly on my skin.

I take my shirt off at home sometimes when it’s hot, but I try to refrain from video taping those sessions. I confess I haven’t always abided by that rule but these days I do my best.

-S-

I really like training with no shirt. Feel the sun and the wind, it's great. I sometimes do it at the park or when I trained by the pool, where being with no shirt is reasonable.

It becomes kind of funny when you see youtube videos with a guy in a gym, where being shirtless is kind of weird.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom