all posts post new thread

Off-Topic PT topless epidemic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
As a female I am reading in this thread about heat, weather etc and am envious you guys have the option of training shirtless.....! Even with us girls at the barest minimum closest to shirtless we can be....those sports bras are dang hot. Yet they are a necessity for practicalities sake...sigh...

I prefer to do the yard work without a shirt when it's hot. If I'm training alone at home I'm also typically without a shirt. Looking at the photograph posted by @Pavel Macek , I remember I also like to train with the kettlebells outside in the winter time without a shirt. It's not uncomfortable, if anything the cold makes me sharper and more aware, more in the moment. On the whole, come to think of it, I'm pretty often shirtless at home. It's just more comfortable.

When it comes to keeping cool and sweating, I've heard/read that certain people who have perspiration problems, as in they don't sweat properly, that going without a shirt is a necessity when they get themselves hot. So it's not always just showing off.

This is funny to me. I prefer to wear a dri-fit shirt under a sweatshirt for my workouts, whether I am doing S&S, S&T, or Strength Aerobics. Of course, shorts most of the time, but I have been known to wear compression pants and sweats from time to time as well. I will switch things up and go with just a t-shirt over a dri-fit shirt sometimes, but no way am I going without a shirt. I sweat enough for two people, so clothing that soaks sweat up is mandatory.

I am sure this comes from my high school years being a wrestler, where working out in sweats & sweatshirts was the only way to lose weight. I guess it is still my mindset 30+ years later.

I always train with shirt on, but it comes off pretty quick once I finish.

When I'm working out it keeps all the sweat from winding up in my waistband. When I'm done it prevents me from cooling off rapidly, not to mention it just feels nasty as it cools.

Monetizing social media is all about clicks. Fit, half-naked people get clicks, regardless of gender.

From a less cynical stand point, I love training outside shirtless and barefoot on a sunny day - I do not post workout videos, however.

My neighbors are all old white people who probably just feel lucky that I am wearing pants.

Right now it's 90+ degrees F (32+ C) while I train, I have an industrial fan blowing on me from one side and another regular fan from the other side. Shirtless training keeps me dry for awhile but eventually the sweat overwhelms the fans. I can't stand a sweaty rag hanging on me so I opt for no shirt and deal with it by using a towel. For getups the rag stays on..

As for shirtless video it would seem strange to me if all fitness/training videos were done in shirts. LGN motivation comes from seeing fit people doing what they do and it's often shirtless. Sometimes people automatically conflate skin showing with ego, for me, I work hard and eat well to look and feel great, of course ego is part of my motivation but not a big part, if it was I would do hypertrophy and body shaping work at the expense of all else (I think my GF would prefer this but she wants me to be happy). I see some incredibly fit people in my age wheelhouse, but not nearly enough, (pump artists are not included in my ideal fitness template).

Alrighty then, back to work on my next sweaty, shirtless video.. :D

Maybe it's the focus on original fitness roots - going back to the old days of physical culture. After all gym comes from the Greek word gymnós meaning naked- maybe count ourselves lucky it's only shirts which are coming off

As a female I am reading in this thread about heat, weather etc and am envious you guys have the option of training shirtless.....! Even with us girls at the barest minimum closest to shirtless we can be....those sports bras are dang hot. Yet they are a necessity for practicalities sake...sigh...

Up until the mid 1930’s it was illegal to publicly flaunt the male nipple in public.
Men were forced to wear nipple-covering swimsuits prior to 1936, when it became legal to expose nipples in New York state.

free-the-nips.jpg

The facebook page of the group celebrating 25 years of topless rights for women in New York State.

Topfree New York

Ahh, it was a beautiful day at the park the day after that ruling came down. But the euphoria all too quickly faded and the dark weight of convention came bearing down on the glow of freedom.

Sadly, few women today are inclined to exercise this hard-earned right the way men do.

Not everyone is able to get to the belly button store to trade in a 2 inch innie for an outie

Ever since this thread started I've been doing my VWC sessions shirtless. Seems like the beard collects the sweat, reaches the point of maximum saturation and then it drips down and makes me look like I've wet myself :eek:

Thankfully I train on military bases so I don't have to see people without shirts on. And, as well, no one needs to see me shirtless.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom