all posts post new thread

Kettlebell PT Trainer Recommendation: 67 Year Old Dad

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brian Giles

First Post
Hi StrongFirst!

I was recommended from a friend to reach out on this forum to get a referral for a PT for my 67 year old Dad.

Background Info:
My Dad is considering having back surgery, and he really doesn't want to, as I'm urging him to explore better options. I am strongly encouraging him to work with a professional trainer first (either a Trainer or PT, which one he needs I am unclear). His medical conditions are Spinal Stenosis in L3, L4, & L5.

Question:
Do you guys have any trainers that you can recommend in the San Francisco Bay Area. He lives in Brentwood, CA 94513?

Thanks for any help!

Brian G.

You can go to the Strongfirst home page, go to the instructor tab, and search for your zip code. I checked it out briefly and it looks like there's 3 SFG certified folks within 30 miles, in Stockton, Walnut Creek, and Oakland. Then you can do a little research on them and send them some emails. If nothing else, they may be able to put you in touch with a good PT in the area.

I may be biased but I would start him with OS and then integrate KB work after he has a better gait pattern and more "core" strength.

Most OS folks are also hardstyle KB folks.

For Example Ric Garcia

Ric Garcia
4622 Glass Ct. Suite I
Modesto, CA 95356
United States
Directions Email

Phone: 209.577.2230

I have started Original Strength and I can't quite put my finger on it...

I just feel better.

If possible, as you peruse your options in a densely populated area like the Bay Area, look for an SFG with an FMS.

Grab a copy of Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett, DPT. Make sure to get the Second Edition. It is a bit more user friendly than the First. Kelly's practice is in San Francisco. In my opinion, his text is a great human maintenance manual and after reading the foundation in the beginning, you and your father will be better prepared to make informed decisions at home, in the gym as well as the clinical setting.

The best $40.00 I have ever spent, health-wise, was getting Becoming a Supple Leopard. In the same light, the best $400 I have ever spent, health-wise, was taking the StrongFirst Kettlebell course. So, like others have said, get to the StrongFirst Home page to locate a StrongFirst Instructor, in your area.

Good on you for reaching out in your father's behalf. All the best as you unpack this situation!

My wife had spinal stenosis surgery about three years ago in the bay area. I recommend her neurosurgeon, Dr. Gordon Tang at Alta Bates hospital. She is doing wonderfully, I have a hard time keeping up with her now hiking Mt Diablo and other regions in the East Bay. She does an lot of gardening, carrying things around the yard, and has no problems. She was 67 when she had her surgery. Amazing difference. Only if needed of course. Best of luck to your dad, I know he has many pain free and active years to look forward to in the future.

Spinal stenosis is no joke. Two years ago my father fell down after moving his motorcycle and suffered a series of damaged vertebrae in his neck. After 6 months or so of incredibly intensive rehab from the doctors and therapists at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia, he began to regain the ability to walk. He can now walk nearly a quarter of a mile at a time and is working intensely to get full use of his hands back. I mention this in relation to spinal stenosis because his injury was made much worse by the already-existing spinal stenosis that he had. When his neck was hyperextended during the fall, the lining in the spinal cord expanded more than the average person, resulting in additional pressure on his nerves.

Get these sorts of problems handled. They can quickly spiral out of control.

PS I cannot say enough about the Shepherd Center. If you know someone who has had a spinal cord injury, a TBI, or stroke, you would be hard pressed to find a better facility in the world. I could rant for hours on the difference in the level of care received there versus the "rehab wing" of the hospital where his treatment began.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom