all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP 2 day a week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The one-armed overhead press combined with the two-armed heavy deadlift is a great, minimalist combination, IMHO, addressing many physical attributes related to strength in a minimum of time.

I am doing program of kb one arm presses and kb dfsqs 3-days-a-week in a Bear-ish manner and it also seems to work well.

@Steve Freides thanks for the advice. Gave the DL a whirl last night using the R Bear protocol. Going to run it over 8 sessions aong with S/S and see where I end up. It was a bit of a "gut check". Challenging yet strangely enjoyable.

I am doing program of kb one arm presses and kb dfsqs 3-days-a-week in a Bear-ish manner and it also seems to work well.
FWIW, I think you could get away with two-arm presses with the kb fsq - the load isn't on the lower back nearly as much, more feels like the load is on the abs. But 1-arm presses are also just fine.

-S-

Two reasons: the one-armed press is less load on the lower back while the barbell or double kettlebell versions can fatigue a lumbar spine enough to make heavy deadlifts afterwards a least somewhat riskier, and; as with the one-armed swing, there is are good things in core stability - anti-rotation, we've been calling it here of late - that one misses out on when the load is balanced side-to-side. The one-armed overhead press combined with the two-armed heavy deadlift is a great, minimalist combination, IMHO, addressing many physical attributes related to strength in a minimum of time.

-S-
Thanks @Steve Freides they are interesting points.

Personally I find it a bit easier to keep strict form with the barbell press, I find it very tempting to wriggle around and cheat with a 1 arm press.

I absolutely get your point about the core stability required for a one arm press, combined with a clean it feels like a much more technical all body move.

But there is something great about having both your hands above your head holding a heavy weight.

Hello,

Swings as a GPP for hiking in the wounds with wife, carrying stuff for two is the right spot.

So, yes you are right ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' I am always carrying my stuff by myself and with pride! (however, I prefer to carry my backpack for hiking than heavy shopping bags with steak & broccoli :)

Second season of the Ranch bear using 180kg for the 5 reps 90% and then dropping to 160 kg for the 80%.(not enough plates to go around. Anyhow I'm enjoying the 80% sets as it's giving me plenty of time to focus on the the cues from PTTP. I tried to deploy maximum tension in all of the sets but played about with grinding the rep slowly. Is it better to grind up slowly or power up? Also I seem to get better leverage when my feet are slightly narrower than shoulder width..

@conor78, all sounds good. Keep playing with form. In my experience, one can play a lot with deadlift form until it gets heavy, and then one starts to figure out what works and what doesn't. That isn't meant to take away from experiment - keep at it, keep paying attention to how different aspects of form feel.

For speed, I don't find it helpful to do slow reps - you're training to move something heavy, which will be slow, anyway, so stay nice and tight, and then move the weight as quickly as you can while staying tight. At least most of the time, that's what you want to train.

For me, and this is just me, I like to do slow negatives with moderately heavy weights, and especially to do a very light touch on the ground for touch-and-go sets. For singles, I pull as quickly as I can while staying tight, and I put the weight down pretty quickly, too.

-S-

Thanks S for nudging me towards the Ranch Bear it's working great along S/S and it's giving me plenty of opportunity to play about with my technique. The DL is a lift I've only really worked with in the last two years. I read Deadlift Dynamite over xmas and it's packed with information as is PTTP but you only really iron out the creases by experimenting with the lift. The self regulation of ending the workout when you can't hit 5 reps is a game changer for me. Onwards and upwards...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom