all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP 5-3-2 sets across?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Basil

Level 1 Valued Member
I had some questions on the approved PTTP 5-3-2.

I typically use the standard PTTP scheme of 1 set of 5 reps plus a back off set. This has worked well for me and allows great recovery.

Whenever I do 5-3-2 scheme as sets across I get burnt out quickly.

Am I supposed do the same weight across sets or work up to a heavy top set of 2?

Will I be missing out on some benefit by not doing the 5-3-2 version?

Is there an effective way to mix these two set and rep schemes together?

@Basil
The main reason for 5-3-2 is the convenience of less plate changing and calculation. So, yes, you use the same weight for all sets. And no, you are not missing out on anything by sticking with the 100%/90% version. 5-3-2 is a slightly higher average weight per session, but IMO this is not a significant difference. In your case, if you are feeling it in your recovery, it IS significant and if you want to stick with 5-3-2 you might adjust your percentages a little lower to compensate.

Personally, I like the back off set because I get a psychological boost when I hit a weight for a back off set that was a top set earlier in the cycle.

I suppose you could combine the two by using 5-3-2 early in a linear or step cycle when the weights are less challenging, and switch to 100%/90% when the top set starts to feel heavy, but I don't have any personal experience doing this. I think combining schemes like this would be more appropriate for a longer, more drawn out cycle where you have a lot of relatively easy sessions at the beginning. For a shorter cycle with a steeper ramp, or a 4 steps forward/3 steps back wave cycle with bigger jumps between sessions (my personal favorite) I don't think it makes as much sense.

@Basil, the design, as I understand it, is to keep the effort of each set relatively the same. One way to accomplish that is to keep the reps the same and lower the weight, and another way to accomplish that is to keep the weight the same and lower the rep count for each set.

If you prefer the original two sets of five, just keep doing that. I don't know that 5-3-2 with the same weight is necessarily better, just different. One could argue that 5-3-2 is more tilted towards strength and two sets of five more tilted towards hypertrophy, but I think the difference isn't big enough either way that you should change what's been working for you if the alternative doesn't feel as good.

JMO.

-S-

It sounds like both versions are interchangeable. I will stick with the original set and rep scheme if the strength gains are similar.

Thank you both for the input!

As other gentlemen mentioned above, same weight.

Personal note: PTTP! is one of my most favorite programs, and 5-3-2 definitely my favorite rep scheme.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom