all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP 5/3/2?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There is evidently a Russian language version of PTTP that includes the 5/3/2 rep scheme. IIRC it was suggested to Pavel by Jack Reape, mainly for simplicity (less calculation and changing plates).

Personally, I prefer the 100%/90% version and the 4 steps forward/3 steps back wave cycle. I find it a great psychological boost when I use a weight for a back off set that was a top set earlier in a cycle. When the weights get heavy, I also find the 90% back off set mentally and physically easier, and easier to recover from, and it better allows me to really concentrate on specific form issues.

I like the 4/3 wave cycle (usually with bigger jumps between sessions and smaller jumps from the start of one wave to the start of the next) because it creates a nice rhythm of easier, medium, and more challenging sessions throughout the cycle. There aren't a bunch of easy sessions at the beginning or a death march of tough sessions at the end.

To quote Pavel from another forum:
Pavel Tsatsouline said:
Comrades, the purpose of the second, lighter, set of 5 was extra volume and technique practice. Com. Jack Reape suggested to me that leaving the weight the same but doing a triple and a double would accomplish the same with less hassle and without reducing the average intensity. It turned out that he was right and I made that change in the Russian edition of PTP.

Why was it changed in the Russian version, but not in other versions?

Personally I'm a big fan of both the 2x5 (with the 90% drop set) and the 5,3,2 version, having used both in my training from 2011-2013. I rather liked the 5,3,2 because I didn't need to calculate a weight change out. I also found, if the first set of '5' was on the hard side, a subsequent set of 3 and 2 weren't nearly so bad.

There is evidently a Russian language version of PTTP that includes the 5/3/2 rep scheme. IIRC it was suggested to Pavel by Jack Reape, mainly for simplicity (less calculation and changing plates).

Personally, I prefer the 100%/90% version and the 4 steps forward/3 steps back wave cycle. I find it a great psychological boost when I use a weight for a back off set that was a top set earlier in a cycle. When the weights get heavy, I also find the 90% back off set mentally and physically easier, and easier to recover from, and it better allows me to really concentrate on specific form issues.

I like the 4/3 wave cycle (usually with bigger jumps between sessions and smaller jumps from the start of one wave to the start of the next) because it creates a nice rhythm of easier, medium, and more challenging sessions throughout the cycle. There aren't a bunch of easy sessions at the beginning or a death march of tough sessions at the end.

What is your preferred frequency?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom