all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP/APFT Advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marty

Level 6 Valued Member
Happy Holidays, everyone!

I’m considering starting PTTP at the beginning of the new year, and was looking for some advice. I know some of these questions have been answered here previously, but I want to make sure the answers fit my specific situation.

A little background: 35 year old male. 178lbs. Completed simple standard in 2017. 275lb 1RM deadlift after about 4 months of training singles (Daily Deadlift Dose, Westside BB, etc.). Competed in fall 2017 TSC and embarrassingly missed my first deadlift attempt at 270. My goals for PTTP would be a 2x bodyweight deadlift (after which I plan to go back to A+A type training).

My questions start when I consider my conditioning. I have to take an APFT every six months (April, October), so I was hoping to maintain an appropriate level of aerobic fitness while progressing my DL. I usually run the 2 miles in about 14:30-15:00 after year-round kettlebell ballistics and a couple of months of running before the test. If I’m being honest, I’d also like to get faster.
  1. What would be some good anti-glycolitic options for me? (LSS twice a week? Swings after deadlifts? Hill sprints? Sprint intervals?)
  2. Have there been people in similar situations that have succeeded in this plan?
I’m just trying to get a handle on all of this. I’m probably over thinking everything. I’ve read too much (Easy Strength, ETK, PTTP, Tactical Barbell 1 & 2, forums), and my mind is clouded with too many options. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

N-1 month
5x per week: FPP Calisthenics
3-4x per week: 200m repeats at 7min mile pace

N-2 to N-6 months
1x per week: squat and bench press ladders
2x per week: long slow runs/rucks
1x per week: deadlift and press ladders
1x per week: 1200m repeats @ ~165-170 bpm heart rate

When you do a powerlift in a meet, the standard recommendation is a good one - pick a weight you have lifted for a triple in the gym. I'm guessing if your 1RM is 275 that your best triple in the gym is more like 235 or so. Open with that - you get three attempts, so if you get that, go for more on your second attempt and a PR on your third attempt.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom