all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP DLs vrs RDLs for imbalance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abishai

Level 5 Valued Member
I got a FMS screening and was told my hamstrings are severely weak in contrast to my quads (years of Squatting with no hinge movement and appearantly a predisposition to weak hamstrings )
I am about to start PTTP and I'm not sure if I should replace a standard DL with a RDL just to bring my hammies up to speed .
Thoughts?

All ten for RDLs! It did wonders to my knee after severe injury. 90% of my rehab success.

What if you didn't have someone tell you that your hamstrings were weak?

Imagine how many people are out there similar to you, don't get screened, and go ahead and get stronger on a deadlift program.

Personally, I would just deadlift. But maybe you'll get some other answers.

If the goal is specifically to focus on the hamstrings, go with RDLs.

The eccentric loading and higher TUT (no resting bar on floor) give it a leg (pun!) up.

Curious question: what are the functional differences between training the hamstrings through hip extension (ex: RDL) versus training them by knee flexion (ex: Nordic Curl)?

Curious question: what are the functional differences between training the hamstrings through hip extension (ex: RDL) versus training them by knee flexion (ex: Nordic Curl)?
I have speculated about this because I've really never trained hamstrings through direct knee flexion drills of any kind, whereas I've done tons of loaded hip extension: squat variations, DL variations, and KB hinge ballistics. In five decades of regularly playing competitive full court basketball with frequent full speed sprinting, I've had two minor hamstring strains, total.

Maybe I'm just lucky with hamstrings. I've certainly been unlucky with ankles. But whenever I've dabbled in loaded knee flexion movements, I've always felt an uncomfortable cramping tightness that led me to mostly avoid them.

Hams have four heads - the short head of the biceps femoris doe not cross the hip joint, does not act on the knee joint. As far as practical outcomes, for me at least, knee flexion tends to tighten the hams and hip extension tends to stretch and loosen them. Short term effects.

Significant difference.

If you're a sprinter or field sports athlete, you want to be focusing a lot more on the knee flexion role, due to the well-studied reduction in hamstring injury that exercises like the Nordic curl provides.

If you're weightlifter, that's not as important and the ability to be strong in a lengthened and stretched position is more imporant.

Rowing is a little of both, although more knee flexion due to the role of the hamstrings in the recovery phase of the stroke; the stretched position mostly applies in the catch.

What if you didn't have someone tell you that your hamstrings were weak?

Imagine how many people are out there similar to you, don't get screened, and go ahead and get stronger on a deadlift program.

Personally, I would just deadlift. But maybe you'll get some other answers.
Im having mobility issues and recurring running injuries

Im having mobility issues and recurring running injuries
OK... I am curious though, I thought FMS only screened movement/mobility, not weakness. But I've never been screened or trained on FMS.

OK... I am curious though, I thought FMS only screened movement/mobility, not weakness. But I've never been screened or trained on FMS.
seems like he mixed in a few other modalities....
I have an interesting gait (structural and hip issues) and cant squat very deep because of very tight hip flexors.(my father and brother have this issue and the following issues as well)
If I dont spend 15 min a day stretching my hip flexors they get very tight even without doing any squats, DLs ect.
My quads look are very muscular since I was a kid without doing any leg work but I have zero lower glute muscle and .
I explained this to him and he had me deadlift I could just barely do my own BW.
His theory was that my structure and gait is engaging my quads and not engaging my posterior chain at all (explaining that over developed quads and stiffness in hip flexors and psoas)
He also said that my tight hip flexors and quads are preventing me from having a deep squat)

Buy or build yourself a weight sled. I used an old car tire and filled the inside of the tire with landscape timber and screwd it in place with 3 inch screws. I drilled an 1 1/4 inch hole in the middle of the wood and drove a 12 inch piece of 1 1/4 inch pipe into the hole about 3 inches deep. Drilled a couple of 1/2 inch holes in the tire and ran a loop of rope through it. Pull the sled backwards putting your toes down first then the heel. Do this drill along with deadlifts and RDL's and you will bomb proof your hamstrings and they will get strong.
8856F81A-7CDD-4CB4-90FA-04A7E6AB402E.jpeg

I got a FMS screening and was told my hamstrings are severely weak in contrast to my quads (years of Squatting with no hinge movement and appearantly a predisposition to weak hamstrings )
I am about to start PTTP and I'm not sure if I should replace a standard DL with a RDL just to bring my hammies up to speed .
Thoughts?
I would probably start by doing a few cycles of conventional deadlift, to get a feeling of the program. Then I would experiment with different variations of the lift: sumo, Romanian, snatch grip, stiff, trap bar…

Buy or build yourself a weight sled. I used an old car tire and filled the inside of the tire with landscape timber and screwd it in place with 3 inch screws. I drilled an 1 1/4 inch hole in the middle of the wood and drove a 12 inch piece of 1 1/4 inch pipe into the hole about 3 inches deep. Drilled a couple of 1/2 inch holes in the tire and ran a loop of rope through it. Pull the sled backwards putting your toes down first then the heel. Do this drill along with deadlifts and RDL's and you will bomb proof your hamstrings and they will get strong.
View attachment 19182
Actually going to try this...I like DIY.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom