all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP on an "exercise" bar

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The specs say it has a 250 pounds capacity. You can surely start with it, but will probably outgrow it rapidly.

Regardless of rated weight cappacity you probably won't have enoush sleeve lenght to load enough planes.

I have a similar bar that I've used for hands & thighs lift and Bent press comfortably. For the H&T I susppended KB on straps, can't do it for deadlifts though...

you will defiantly out grow it quick. so I did hit simple before ever deadlifting, 4 sessions in spread out about a week or two apart I did 3x5 at 225 and 275 for a single.

The specs say it has a 250 pounds capacity. You can surely start with it, but will probably outgrow it rapidly.

Aren't those specs usually overcautious? You could probably load that thing to 300.

But seriously, buying an Olympic bar and plates is worth it. Just buy a cheapo set. The quality of the bar only matters if you start going really heavy and/or want to compete.

Regardless of rated weight cappacity you probably won't have enoush sleeve lenght to load enough planes.

I have a similar bar that I've used for hands & thighs lift and Bent press comfortably. For the H&T I susppended KB on straps, can't do it for deadlifts though...

I bought the bar specifically for bent pressing! Then I figured out I could do lots of other stuff with it as well..

Aren't those specs usually overcautious? You could probably load that thing to 300.

For sure. I have a bar of this type at home rated for 300 pounds and it still fell very solid with this load. In fact, the weight you put on the bar is not that indicative of the stress in the material of the bar. This stress depends greatly on the exercise performed. Compare for example the same bar loaded with the same weight, but used to do a snatch grip deadlift (SGD) or a back squat. In the SGD, you are basically holding the weights in your hands. There will be a bit of bending force between your hands and the weights, but the distance is very small and deformation of the bar will be minimal. In the squat, especially if you press the bar in your back actively, the weight are very far from the point of support, in the middle of the bar, and your additional pressing of the bar in the back adds additional forces to the bar. I expect a much larger deformation and much larger stresses.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom