all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP, Russian bear and 5-3-2

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
I much prefer the PTTP program with 5-3-2.

As I read it the Russian bear program for strength and size is basically lowering the weight to 80% of that days working weight and doing up to 20 sets with 60s rests after your working sets. Also a reduction in frequency to 2-4 times a week?

If I’m doing 5-3-2 do I do all three sets before lowering the weight? Or, as the absolute weight is higher, do I only do the first one or two sets?

First off I've never attempted to run the russian bear program, but I would assume for the 5-3-2 version, you do your 5-3-2 sets all with your working weight. Then back off to 80% for your "volume" sets of 5 @ 1 minute rest. Obviously your frequency will depend on how many "volume" sets you do. If you only do 5 extra volume sets, you might be able to go 4 times a week. If you go for 20, then good luck on getting in 2 times a week.

If I did attempt, I would probably be cautious and build my volume up slow over time. Start off only using 5 "volume" sets with at least a day or 2 of rest between workouts and see how your body responds.

There's been other posts on here concerning the russian bear. maybe you can get some tips from those. The problem is this program generates more talk and interest than actual practice. Hopefully, you can get some feedback from people who have actually ran it. If you try it, let us know how it goes and what results you get. Good Luck!

I would do the original 1x5 then 90% of that 1x5 then the volume sets.

5s build muscle 3s and 2s are more for strength.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom