all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP/thickbar

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've read it is good for pressing movements. It spreads the load out over the hand or something

I have been doing a lot of Axel Deadlifts lately, and really like them. UK Strongman Terry Hollands with a new world record 528 lbs,making it look easy.

I have discovered two hand pinch deadlift, two hand thick bar/open hand deadlift, and crushing grippers are the core lifts for a strong grip. There are variations on these lifts but they hit the major functions of the hands, and I do sledgehammer lever variations to strengthen the wrists.

Swinging kettlebells falls into the open hand category.

At the end of a workout, usually paired with torso training

Grippers and squat focused day, or mornings,or evenings depending on time. I have been stuck on the COC 2.5 for a long time. I am close to the COC 3 on the right, not so close on the left. Spare time gripper program. Hand grippers training- hand gripper, grippers, hand strength, sport, muscles

On an off day I will set up a medley, or circuit, and thoroughly train grip, 2-3 days away from deadlift/back focused day

Sometimes I do a bicep/tricep day, my arms are under developed for my size, I was told I am a T. rex, huge legs, small arms, and I will hit grip hard at the end.

Pick one function to hit hard pinch, open, or crushing.

I do small volume of sledgehammer levers, almost everyday, I have done too much at once in the past because I find it so fun, really strengthens the wrist, and thumb. Slim Lever+front Lever is my favourite. Also, KB Wrist Deadlifts, and KB Wrist Turns hit similar functions.

I have recently started bending. I bought some suede leather, and 40D nails to start. Tried a 60D nail, not yet. Low volume also because it can stress the hands and wrists.

High rep band hand extensions as Prehab often between sets.

Fat grips, Axel Bar, and fat DB for all accessories.

Last edited:
Thanks Geoff! I was thinking on adding a grip day on Sunday, which is a day off for me. This would give my grip until Wednesday to recover since I do squats Monday and bench/pull ups on Wednesday.

Just random thoughts in no order, but I use all these methods regularly. I have been training by "feel" for about 2 years and feel stronger and better than ever at 34 years old.

Excuse me Ben. What are your thoughts or experience with pressing movements withe the fat bar?

Excuse me Ben. What are your thoughts or experience with pressing movements with the fat bar?
I have not used a fat bar (specifically the Apollon's Axle, a 2" axle) for overhead pressing (or any pressing) in about 10 years. But I did use one from about 2000 to 2002 for most of my overhead pressing. Along with pressing natural stones. I weighed 150lbs for part of that time period and while at that weight did a strict overhead press with about 175lbs. Nothing earth-shattering, but relatively strong at that weight. I cleaned the bar each press (did singles) so I didn't get a lot of grip time under tension. But it built a good grip strength base. If I had it to do all over again, I would have kept doing clean and press with the Axle. But shoulder injuries have kept me from overhead pressing with any regularity for the past 8 years.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom