all posts post new thread

Barbell Pttp vs starting strength for beginner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What about 3x3 linear progression approach for beginner, is it possible?
A
Bench 3x3
Squats 3x3
Rows 3x3

B
Press 3x3
Deadlift 1x3

Last edited:
Im just askig does it works, im new to this
I see.

Yes triples will also work . Many people have opined about great results from the grey skull linear progression. It has a variant based on triples which is said to bias your training towards a higher weight, and powerlifting style attributes.

As has been reiterated to me many times.

Everything works, at first. Nothing works for very long.

From all my reading most barbell newbie gains will stop rapidly accumulating at some point around 3-6 months. At which point you'll PR basically every session.

Then you'll have to engage in back off sets and resetting cycles. At which point you'll PR. Every week or so. Then that'll slow down you'll have to reset and wave the loads more and PR every month. Then that'll slow down. And you'll have to reset your waving and cycling and PR once a season. Then once or twice a year. This will take many years to work through.

The loading from triples will enable you to handle heavier loads on your progression, but if you miss out for a week or more you may want to reset by 15-20% or back off 2 weeks or so in your schedule to get back on track. The adaptation of triples will not be quite as long lasting or stable as sets of 5. They'll be identical at first and as you progress they'll start to diverge toward single rep strength properties. If it were me, I'd do 5,3,2 with the weight each session.

But don't listen to others too much.
Let your recovery be your guide.
You figure out what your goals are and keep working towards them.

Last edited:
A
Bench 3x3
Squats 3x3
Rows 3x3

B
Press 3x3
Deadlift 1x3
That's a pretty low volume, so the exact intensity (% of 1RM, or some other approximation of that) for those few sets of 3 would be even more important, to drive any new adaptations. Generally speaking, for beginners, it's better - safer, and more effective - to rely more on volume than intensity as the main driver of progress.

So this scheme would be a bit more towards peaking, or practicing displaying the strength you have, rather than building new strength.

Im just askig does it works, im new to this
Anna basically said what I was thinking. I would say it is too low volume, and you’ll still run into the same problems as with 3x5. It is useful, but normally when I’m moving down like that I am peaking and I’m using volume from accessories.

That's a pretty low volume, so the exact intensity (% of 1RM, or some other approximation of that) for those few sets of 3 would be even more important, to drive any new adaptations. Generally speaking, for beginners, it's better - safer, and more effective - to rely more on volume than intensity as the main driver of progress.

So this scheme would be a bit more towards peaking, or practicing displaying the strength you have, rather than building new strength.

+1000

Sets of 3 / triples should be *heavy* (90-95% of 1 RM) if you want to drive adaptation, and even experienced lifters often suffer form break down when lifting that heavy.

I wouldn't recommend sets of 3 for people who are first time barbell users still learning technique and ROM.

A
Bench 3x3
Squats 3x3
Rows 3x3

B
Press 3x3
Deadlift 1x3
beginners need more practice to I'd do more reps than fewer IMO.

One very popular modification to SS is to make the last set AMRAP and it works extremely well. If I were to do it again, I'd certainly use that variation. (But I vastly preferred PTTP over SS and got a lot stronger doing it).

A Monday, Friday
Bench 3x3
Squats 3x3
Rows 3x3

B Wèdñesdy, sunday
Press 3x3
Deadlift 1x3
90 of one rpm adding 2 kg every time

Last edited:
Can some boy put pavel program pttp and expline
I empathize with what I perceive to be a bit of a kind of desperation about what to do. people told me it was easy. that so-called dumb meatheads could figure it out. (but I never could). even in the army under the coaching and direction of superiors, I continued to move from defeat to setback to dead-end to failure to stagnancy for well over a decade. round and round the merry go round went; never got anywhere. and only recently did I find S&S and finally, I had something that worked. You'd be surprised at how few people have a grasp on these basic concepts of cycling and periodization, and how to actually apply them to a novice like me - who was begging anyone around me for help. and I got a lot of attempts to help me, but ... not a lot of results.

that said:
1. the book (Power to the People) - really - is not too expensive for what it offers. Please take the time to read and re-read it. it's worth its weight in gold to me.
2. the book doesn't specify loads in pounds but provides an explanation of a framework of cycling, into which you may plug in your own numbers.
3. my list of loads can be mimicked very easily. adding a fraction of weight every workout, and resetting every 2 weeks is definitely one way to go.

4. something I noticed in the examples in the book is this practical definition of what they show.
4.a. Just keep increasing your linear cycle weights until you don't feel comfortable executing a set of 5.
4.b. when you do your set of 3 or 4 because you don't feel you can complete 5 reps with your best form, then go ahead and reset your cycle to your initial weight +5 or 10 lbs. and ramp up again till you find that you cannot complete 5 reps with your best form. then reset again, with yet another 5 or 10 lbs. added to the bar from your first reset.

5. One arbitrary way to get you started might be, just start with 135lbs, or 20kg, or one plate on either side of the bar, and add 5 or 10 lbs each session. and just keep increasing until you notice that your form may be compromised somehow. Again: forgo the would-be lesser quality reps and take that as a cue to reset your cycling.

6. for your presses in PTTP, you would probably do the same thing - just only increasing by 5 lbs per session. and maybe step loading and increasing the weight every other session. the chain of arm and shoulder muscles is shorter and while full body control is necessary, they can not suffer the same loading increases as the deadlift can; by far.

i hope that this short excerpt from PttP is helpful, and that I am not overstepping to share it.

1653056596407.png

Last edited:
I empathize with what I perceive to be a bit of a kind of desperation about what to do. people told me it was easy. that so-called dumb meatheads could figure it out. (but I never could). even in the army under the coaching and direction of superiors, I continued to move from defeat to setback to dead-end to failure to stagnancy for well over a decade. round and round the merry go round went; never got anywhere. and only recently did I find S&S and finally, I had something that worked. You'd be surprised at how few people have a grasp on these basic concepts of cycling and periodization, and how to actually apply them to a novice like me - who was begging anyone around me for help. and I got a lot of attempts to help me, but ... not a lot of results.

that said:
1. the book (Power to the People) - really - is not too expensive for what it offers. Please take the time to read and re-read it. it's worth its weight in gold to me.
2. the book doesn't specify loads in pounds but provides an explanation of a framework of cycling, into which you may plug in your own numbers.
3. my list of loads can be mimicked very easily. adding a fraction of weight every workout, and resetting every 2 weeks is definitely one way to go.

4. something I noticed in the examples in the book is this practical definition of what they show.
4.a. Just keep increasing your linear cycle weights until you don't feel comfortable executing a set of 5.
4.b. when you do your set of 3 or 4 because you don't feel you can complete 5 reps with your best form, then go ahead and reset your cycle to your initial weight +5 or 10 lbs. and ramp up again till you find that you cannot complete 5 reps with your best form. then reset again, with yet another 5 or 10 lbs. added to the bar from your first reset.

5. One arbitrary way to get you started might be, just start with 135lbs, or 20kg, or one plate on either side of the bar, and add 5 or 10 lbs each session. and just keep increasing until you notice that your form may be compromised somehow. Again: forgo the would-be lesser quality reps and take that as a cue to reset your cycling.

6. for your presses in PTTP, you would probably do the same thing - just only increasing by 5 lbs per session. and maybe step loading and increasing the weight every other session. the chain of arm and shoulder muscles is shorter and while full body control is necessary, they can not suffer the same loading increases as the deadlift can; by far.

i hope that this short excerpt from PttP is helpful, and that I am not overstepping to share it.

View attachment 17682
somthing lik this everi other put weight
this is good.
and you may or may not find the progression to be a bit slow or fast for you.
who knows?

Keep a journal - consult it and compare it with your expectations and your results.
Don't be afraid to adjust the sails as the winds change.

again you're in control of your cycling.

and - as an option - which I understand to have been part of another printed version of Power to the People - maybe published at a later date in the Russian Language - instead of the 90% second set - which I was happy for later in the cycling - there is another option which gets at a similar goal of reduced loading to maintain quality.

instead of 5 reps at 100% followed by 5 reps at 90% (again something I found favorable to my practice), in order to maintain quality one may do a set of 5, then 3, then 2. this avoids fiddling with the weights if that bothers you, and provides an opportunity to avoid lower quality reps in your session. this still accommodates the double loading and differently is a compromise designed to help you retain max quality reps in your practice.

as I dug into the weights where I was closer to 300 lbs. - I found the 10% drop in weight to be very very welcome.

but if you're annoyed by changing the weights - there is another option to exercise that's well within the bounds of the author's intentions.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom