all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP: What To Do On Week Off? And A Question About Re-Cycling For The Transition to Belt-less Training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheEnthusiast90

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey guys - I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but I just finished my first cycle of PTTP and I now have a week I didn't program for. I did 3-week, 15-workout cycles for deadlift and press (step for deadlift and wave for press). Now I have a week before I'm due to start my second cycle. Should I be lifting at all to keep myself fresh, or should I stick with bodyweight stuff for the week off and do some band pull-apart / push-ups? I have the book and found no concise answer after reading it through.

Also, I want to make the transition to belt-less training. Would it be a good idea for me to redo this cycle, but belt-less? I'm looking to get in the ring in a few months after this quarantine thing blows over, and I figure I'd be doing myself a favor by getting stronger without supportive equipment. Ideally, I'd also like to pull 500 within the year without gaining too much weight because my stomach can't handle food (I wouldn't mind doing this with a belt, but I think belt-less training will reinforce better positioning and make me stronger for this endeavor anyway).

Thanks for any input you guys have on this.

Last edited:
I think you can go right into your next cycle, if you're not feeling worn down at all. What sort of weights are you up to?

I would say go forward with your planned weights. If it feels too much without the belt, then back it off a bit and work up. No need to go back to the beginning.

What other exercise are you doing with PTTP along with deadlift? Are you doing anything else besides that?

I think you can go right into your next cycle, if you're not feeling worn down at all. What sort of weights are you up to?

I would say go forward with your planned weights. If it feels too much without the belt, then back it off a bit and work up. No need to go back to the beginning.

What other exercise are you doing with PTTP along with deadlift? Are you doing anything else besides that?

I started very light with the intention of possibly switching to belt-less training during a later cycle and have decided to make the switch sooner considering my desire to fight. I’m definitely strong enough to pull next cycle’s weights without a belt, but I wanted to be cautious in case doing so would mess up my programmed exertion rates somehow.

My last workout was Friday and I think I’m going to hit the weights again tomorrow with what you’ve said in mind. I’m pressing overhead in addition to deadlifting, and I’m not doing any other exercises besides band pull-aparts for the sake of my shoulders. I began my deadlift cycle with 275 pounds and used a step cycling method where over 15 workouts I increased the weight to 310 pounds for the first set of my final workout. I had at least 5 more repetitions in the tank, which I found to be an improvement - I also complete the workouts faster because I’m not compelled to rest as long. My pressing cycle went even better, I began with 85 pounds and ended with 115 pounds for my first structured wave - had 5 more in the tank at least, which is what I was aiming for. I’m switching over to structured wave cycling for deadlifts as well, in order to avoid the death march of heavier workouts strung together during later cycles.

Here is the spreadsheet I wrote up for the next few months of training so you can get a better sense of the progression rate I used.

374D9547-0C09-4449-B82B-0F617DE6AFC0.png374D9547-0C09-4449-B82B-0F617DE6AFC0.png2084A937-3510-4CCD-8DB6-4ABAD6575FC9.png

Last edited:
That looks good! I didn't double check all the calculations but at first glance it seems correct.

Deadlift along with press is a great combo.

That looks good! I didn't double check all the calculations but at first glance it seems correct.

Deadlift along with press is a great combo.

It took me too long to make that spreadsheet. I sat there typing numbers into my calculator! ?

I’m quarantined in NYC and I have a barbell and plates in my backyard, but no rack or bench. I could have done side presses but I’d like a stronger strict press. MMA and strongman are my two preferred physical disciplines, so I want to be able to deadlift/press a lot and fight well. I fell off the wagon big-time due to some circumstances that were under my control and some that really weren’t (like everyone else, right?) but I’m looking forward to using this time in isolation to continue bettering myself.

Last edited:
I want to make the transition to belt-less training.

Taking A Nap

Putting on a belt during lifting doesn't mean that your abs take a nap during the exercise set. The abs are working.

Using the belt correctly means performing an Isometric Ab Action; pushing the abs into the belt, an "Isometric Plank" in a standing position.

Doing this provides more support the lower back and core stability, which allows you to produce more force/strength in the movement.

Belt Muscle Involvement

Wearing a belt modifies the muscle involved...

"...The belt condition produced significantly greater rectus abdominis activity and significantly less external oblique activity. "
Source: An electromyographic analysis of sumo and conventional style deadlifts. - PubMed - NCBI

Strong Abs

The key to strong abs is exercises that target them.

Strength Training for abs is no different than training for any other muscle group; heavy loads and low reps.

This article breaks down what some of the better ab exercises are.

Taking A Nap

Putting on a belt during lifting doesn't mean that your abs take a nap during the exercise set. The abs are working.

Using the belt correctly means performing an Isometric Ab Action; pushing the abs into the belt, an "Isometric Plank" in a standing position.

Doing this provides more support the lower back and core stability, which allows you to produce more force/strength in the movement.

I definitely agree, I know that my abs don't get any less work from the exercise. When I learned how to brace into the belt by pushing "out" with my abs, my squat went from 275 x 4 to 275 x 15.

For deadlifts, I believe there is a positioning issue when I wear a belt. I can deadlift more because the belt helps me retain some of my own force production, but my mid-back will curve during the repetition because the belt guides my starting position into that of an SLDL. In order to be able to grab the bar in a somewhat decent starting position with a belt on, I need to start the movement with my hips higher than they should be.

I also want to build a virtual belt, a la Pavel's recommendation, and get my obliques working once again. I wouldn't say any of this and would instead just add the ab work if I wasn't currently two cycles into PTTP. I'm not sure extra abdominal work is permitted for recovery reasons.

For deadlifts, I believe there is a positioning issue when I wear a belt. ...In order to be able to grab the bar in a somewhat decent starting position with a belt on, I need to start the movement with my hips higher than they should be.

Belt and Positioning

The belt should not alter your set up position. If it does, it is counter productive.

Below is a good article that provides solutions that might work

Two of the solutions are...

1) Using a belt with a smaller width in the ab area.

2) Position the belt up higher off the hips.

High Belt Position for Deadlifts Explained!

As Leeman states, wearing the belt down low constricts him and alters his technique.

Placing the belt higher increase greater support for the Deadlift lockout.

Final Solution

If neither of those work, you may do better going belt-less.

my mid-back will curve during the repetition because the belt guides my starting position into that of an SLDL.

Upper Back Rounding

Some upper back rounding is natural with Conventional Deadlifters.

Upper back rounding does not create back issues. Lower back rounding does.

Dr Bret Contreras goes more into this in...

One of the key points in this article is that upper back round decreases the distance of the bar to your Body's Center of Gravity.

The farther the bar is from your Body's Center of Gravity the greater the torque. That means the weight on the bar is magnified beyond its true load.

Keeping the bar in, as close as you can, places you in a stronger pulling position. That is one of the reason that you need to pull the bar back in on top of you and why some upper back rounding helps.

It's Time To Shut Up About Rounded-Back Deadlifts

This is another good article on Deadlifting with some upper back rounding.

I also want to build a virtual belt, a la Pavel's recommendation, and get my obliques working once again. I wouldn't say any of this and would instead just add the ab work...

Strong Abs

Most lifter want the same, strong abs. Heavy Squats and Deadlift play role in developing strong abs.

Dr Tom McLaughlin's (PhD in Exercise Bio-Mechanics, former Powerlifter) research involved Bill Kazmaier (former World Powerlifting Champion and World's Strongest Man). As per McLaughlin, Kazmaier's only abdominal training was Heavy Squat and Deadlifts.

While that worked for Kazmaier, McLaughlin stated that specific abdominal exercises are Important. Source: "The Mechanics of Powerlifting", Powerlifting USA Magazine, 1981.

Intra-abdominal pressure (IAP)

"Strong abs are like having an extra set of erectors."

Increasing abdominal strength increases the ability to generate greater Intra-abdominal pressure (IAP)

That pressure increases the support for you lower back; stabilization of the erectors.

The greater the stability of muscles in a movement, the more force (strength and power) generated.

Abdominal Strength for Squat and Deadlifts

Ironically, when lifter fold under the weight, like a cheap card table, in a Squat and Deadlift, most individual come often come to the conclusion that it's due to a weak back.

The majority of the time, the reason for them folding under the weight is due to weak abdominal muscles. Part the abdominal muscle job is to maintain you in an upright position.

Now let add to that.

Long Torso Individuals

Specific abdominal training is especially important for Long Torso Individuals. The torso is the bridge between the upper body and lower body.

The longer a bridge is, the greater the need for the support between the two ends. The same applies with Long Torso Individual.

"Leakage"

Dr Stuart McGill is one of the leading experts on core strength and training.

As per McGill, there is a "Leakage" of strength and power when the core isn't strong enough.

A strong core ensures that strength and power are maximally transferred between the lower and upper body.

A great analogy is Dr Fred Hatfield's, "You can't shoot a canon from a canoe."

McGill is adamant about increasing core strength with specific ab and back exercises.

I'm not sure extra abdominal work is permitted for recovery reasons.

Extra Abdominal Work

If you're serious about maximizing your abdominal strength/core strength, you need to make time.

That based on research from individual like Dr Tom McLaughlin, Dr Stuart McGill and others.

"Successful people are willing to do what others won't."

Last edited:
Belt and Positioning

The belt should not alter your set up position. If it does, it is counter productive.

Below is a good article that provides solutions that might work

Two of the solutions are...

1) Using a belt with a smaller width in the ab area.

2) Position the belt up higher off the hips.

High Belt Position for Deadlifts Explained!

As Leeman states, wearing the belt down low constricts him and alters his technique.

Placing the belt higher increase greater support for the Deadlift lockout.

Final Solution

If neither of those work, you may do better going belt-less.

Upper Back Rounding

Some upper back rounding is natural with Conventional Deadlifters.

Upper back rounding does not create back issues. Lower back rounding does.

Dr Bret Contreras goes more into this in...

One of the key points in this article is that upper back round decreases the distance of the bar to your Body's Center of Gravity.

The farther the bar is from your Body's Center of Gravity the greater the torque. That means the weight on the bar is magnified beyond its true load.

Keeping the bar in, as close as you can, places you in a stronger pulling position. That is one of the reason that you need to pull the bar back in on top of you and why some upper back rounding helps.

It's Time To Shut Up About Rounded-Back Deadlifts

This is another good article on Deadlifting with some upper back rounding.

Strong Abs

Most lifter want the same, strong abs. Heavy Squats and Deadlift play role in developing strong abs.

Dr Tom McLaughlin's (PhD in Exercise Bio-Mechanics, former Powerlifter) research involved Bill Kazmaier (former World Powerlifting Champion and World's Strongest Man). As per McLaughlin, Kazmaier's only abdominal training was Heavy Squat and Deadlifts.

While that worked for Kazmaier, McLaughlin stated that specific abdominal exercises are Important. Source: "The Mechanics of Powerlifting", Powerlifting USA Magazine, 1981.

Intra-abdominal pressure (IAP)

"Strong abs are like having an extra set of erectors."

Increasing abdominal strength increases the ability to generate greater Intra-abdominal pressure (IAP)

That pressure increases the support for you lower back; stabilization of the erectors.

The greater the stability of muscles in a movement, the more force (strength and power) generated.

Abdominal Strength for Squat and Deadlifts

Ironically, when lifter fold under the weight, like a cheap card table, in a Squat and Deadlift, most individual come often come to the conclusion that it's due to a weak back.

The majority of the time, the reason for them folding under the weight is due to weak abdominal muscles. Part the abdominal muscle job is to maintain you in an upright position.

Now let add to that.

Long Torso Individuals

Specific abdominal training is especially important for Long Torso Individuals. The torso is the bridge between the upper body and lower body.

The longer a bridge is, the greater the need for the support between the two ends. The same applies with Long Torso Individual.

"Leakage"

Dr Stuart McGill is one of the leading experts on core strength and training.

As per McGill, there is a "Leakage" of strength and power when the core isn't strong enough.

A strong core ensures that strength and power are maximally transferred between the lower and upper body.

A great analogy is Dr Fred Hatfield's, "You can't shoot a canon from a canoe."

McGill is adamant about increasing core strength with specific ab and back exercises.

Extra Abdominal Work

If you're serious about maximizing your abdominal strength/core strength, you need to make time.

That based on research from individual like Dr Tom McLaughlin, Dr Stuart McGill and others.

"Successful people are willing to do what others won't."

Yeah, I figure by taking away the stabilization aspect the belt was offering me while moving ahead with my planned increases in cycle weights I'll be getting the best of both worlds. I want strong abs but I want a strong deadlift and overhead more. Coincidentally, if I manage to get a stronger deadlift and overhead my abs get stronger too. At least that's how I've always viewed it.

Is there an option to do extra abdominal work within PTTP? The program calls for deadlifts and presses 5x/week with varying weights and right now all of my energy is going into making sure I can get up and lift the same barbell tomorrow.

I tried a high belt position, I've been playing around with the idea of getting rid of my belt while deadlifting for at least a year. In fact, I came across that same George Leeman video and thought my problems were solved!

I figure by taking away the stabilization aspect the belt was offering me while moving ahead with my planned increases in cycle weights I'll be getting the best of both worlds.

The Belt

The belt increase stability. Pushing into the belt increase Intra-Thoracic Presser, which stabilize the back

The greater the stiffness of the core when Squatting and Deadlifting, more force you are able to generate.

That means more you are able to overload the prime muscles in the movement.

Training without the belt work core a little more but limits overloading the prime muscle in the movement.

You increase your strength but it not getting the best of both works.

Is there an option to do extra abdominal work within PTTP?

Options

There are a multitude of options on how you can integrate abdominal training into your program, if not now, then later.

The Belt

The belt increase stability. Pushing into the belt increase Intra-Thoracic Presser, which stabilize the back

The greater the stiffness of the core when Squatting and Deadlifting, more force you are able to generate.

That means more you are able to overload the prime muscles in the movement.

Training without the belt work core a little more but limits overloading the prime muscle in the movement.

You increase your strength but it not getting the best of both works.

Options

There are a multitude of options on how you can integrate abdominal training into your program, if not now, then later.

Thank you for all of your help and knowledge!

Is there an option to do extra abdominal work within PTTP?
It's fine - add abs to the end of your PTTP session. Be mindful of not overdoing the ab training - ease into it and make sure that one day's ab training isn't taking away from the next day's PTTP session but rather is helping it.

-S-

It's fine - add abs to the end of your PTTP session. Be mindful of not overdoing the ab training - ease into it and make sure that one day's ab training isn't taking away from the next day's PTTP session but rather is helping it.

-S-

Thank you for the comment Steve, I am definitely going to introduce extra abdominal work in a gradual manner.

I agree with @Anna C . No need for a week off. Back cycle a bit and get back in there. Great belt advice.

The back-cycling and re-transition into belt-less training has worked wonders for me so far; adapting to the position I'm able to get into when I don't have a belt on has made my pulls feel better.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom