all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP with ladders?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

undeadmonk3y

Level 2 Valued Member
Apologies if this was posted before.

I’ve read PTTP and am starting the program tomorrow. Eventually I may attempt to put in muscle with it. I understand Pavel’s Russian Bear program, but I was wondering if you could ladders (ETK style) to get the volume work in? I understand this would potentially slow down strength progression from a wemy got lifted perspective, but I am curious if anyone has done or is doing this.

Thanks!

you could totally do ladders with PTTP, but then it wouldn't be PTTP. It would be a variation. I believe that kind of protocol is mentioned in Beyond Bodybuilding. Don't have it handy if I find it ill let you know.

EDIT: yup beyond bodybuilding, you can find it in table of contents, section 1, questions and answer section.

Last edited:
I've been doing ladders with the barbell and really like it. You can do ratchet ladders of 1-2-3 increasing weights each ladder to make them more strength oriented.

Apologies if this was posted before.

I’ve read PTTP and am starting the program tomorrow. Eventually I may attempt to put in muscle with it. I understand Pavel’s Russian Bear program, but I was wondering if you could ladders (ETK style) to get the volume work in? I understand this would potentially slow down strength progression from a wemy got lifted perspective, but I am curious if anyone has done or is doing this.

Thanks!

So to clarify what I’m asking is: Would ladders at 80% of 5RM satisfy the volume requirements of the “Russian Bear” protocol as outlined in PTTP?

No, the meat of Russian Bear is the sets of five with short rest. You could certainly use whatever protocol you like, but it won’t be Russian Bear.

Maybe start Bear Sets lighter than 80% and increase weight once you hit your goal sets and rest time. It’s a hypertrophy and hard work program.

No, the meat of Russian Bear is the sets of five with short rest. You could certainly use whatever protocol you like, but it won’t be Russian Bear.

Maybe start Bear Sets lighter than 80% and increase weight once you hit your goal sets and rest time. It’s a hypertrophy and hard work program.

Ah, I see. Ladders would be what, more muscular endurance oriented?

I recall way back someone posted on that "other forum," or perhaps it was an article, of how they combined PttP with ladders for strength (as @Geoff Chafe noted ladders are more geared toward strength). The concept was pretty simple and rather clever. Start doing PttP with 5 reps and keep adding weight as per the program. Once you get to a weight where you cannot do 5 reps, the next training session do ladders with that weight. I think the suggestion was 2x(1,2,3) but I can't remember the exact recommendation for this. You could even do 2x(1,2) if the weight feels particularly heavy. There's room to play this by ear. As I recall Pavel approved of this idea. This is for strength. If you want to do the Bear then just do the Bear as written.

I recall way back someone posted on that "other forum," or perhaps it was an article, of how they combined PttP with ladders for strength (as @Geoff Chafe noted ladders are more geared toward strength). The concept was pretty simple and rather clever. Start doing PttP with 5 reps and keep adding weight as per the program. Once you get to a weight where you cannot do 5 reps, the next training session do ladders with that weight. I think the suggestion was 2x(1,2,3) but I can't remember the exact recommendation for this. You could even do 2x(1,2) if the weight feels particularly heavy. There's room to play this by ear. As I recall Pavel approved of this idea. This is for strength. If you want to do the Bear then just do the Bear as written.

That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Is there a new Power to the People? The copy I have uses 100% 5RMx1 and then 90%x1 daily.

Could you clarify your interpretation of PTTP?

It’s not a five rep max. It starts with about 70% of your max or estimated max. Be conservative. The backoff set or sets are based off that daily max.

Could you clarify your interpretation of PTTP?

It’s not a five rep max. It starts with about 70% of your max or estimated max. Be conservative. The backoff set or sets are based off that daily max.

Oddly enough, even though I typed that, that’s not what I did. I followed Pavel’s recommendation to find a working weight that feels good/I’m comfortable with.

I guess I was thinking 100% of your “working weight” and then 90% of that for set two.

Thanks for double-checking on me, though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom