all posts post new thread

Barbell PTTP with triples

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

luizleandro

First Post
Hello guys.

Power to the people basic routine is 2x5 deadlift and 2x5 press. I'm using the structured wave, so every 5th workout I get back to the weight I used three workouts ago. How could I run it with triples? What about 3x3, with the first set at 100% and the other two at 90%?
My goal is to increase 1 RM in both the press and deadlift. I also use this progression for chin ups after the press.

You could do triples - you could use them in a different ways in the cycle. 3 x 3 as you've proposed would work fine, although if you take advantage of the fact that you can lift more weight for a triple than for a five, you might consider making the third triple 80% instead of 90%.

Another way, and what I prefer and would recommend, is do 2 sets of 5 until it starts to get difficult, then switch to triples, either 2 or 3, then switch to doubles, either 2 or 3, then test your new 1RM, then rest for a week, and start a new cycle after that. 5's are great, 3's are great, but at least a couple of times a year, it's nice to up the intensity and see what you can do, and for most people and most of the time, it makes sense to lower the volume as you up the intensity.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom