all posts post new thread

Bodyweight pull it up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shon

Level 1 Valued Member
I've heard and read many opinions of one arm chin ups. That's a move i want to achieve. For close-pullups, i can at least do twelve reps. what would be the quickest way to achieve the one-arm chin up? weigthed pull-ups? or what else is there?

From what I've seen, one of the key factors in being able to perform this move is having very low body weight; I've not seen any big guys/girls who were able to complete this move.

Progressing with weighted pull-ups will build strength, but you'll need to train your body to acclimatise to the asymmetrical nature of the one-arm pull-up. One handed pull-ups (with the 'free' hand gripping the wrist, or lower down the arm) will help in this respect. It might also be worth training heavy single-handed lat pulldowns with small handle attachment if you have access to a gym.

If you're just starting out, one-handed pullups and hanging from the bar by one arm while working on keeping your body from moving too much would be a decent place to start.

It is your lower/upper body ratio. Some people have more muscle mass in lower body than the upper body. So basically it comes down to either a lot of work or genetics. If you are type of a person with wide upper body and narrow hips combined with not very muscular legs, chances that you would do an one arm pull/chin-up is pretty high assuming you do not screw your shoulders or tendons up along the way. I would say your tendon and joint structure and built is also a decision factor.

I worked out a lot to be able to accomplish front and back levers. For me it was very hard since my primary muscles mass is in my hip and quad area. I can easily do weighted one leg squats or heavy deadlifts but can't even manage to do one proper front lever.

what else is there?

The one arm pull up is pretty elusive. It's a cool move for sure. I'm not so sure about the practical applications of being able to do one, other than as a parlor trick.

That being said... everyone has given you very sound advice thus far. But to answer your question there is this...

Rig up a counterweight pulley system, and do one arm pull ups. Your weight will be offset by whatever weight you have loaded on the system. This way your body will learn the mechanics of the one arm pull up through the full range of motion. As you SLOWLY progress you can gradually reduce the load, until one day, maybe, you have the real deal.

Just make sure you have a solid base of weighted regular pull-ups before going down this path.

Be prepared for frustration and injury...

Have fun

Here are a few options to try ...1) set a bar on the rack low enough for you to grab it overhead while seated on the ground with a straight arm. You can sit cross leg or legs extended out in front of you. Try pulling from here with one arm as you will be pulling a lesser % of your bodyweight. or 2) work on your hangs for time and then do one arm chins while you are holding onto a towel or trx or band with the assistance arm.

I do agree with the above that the lower BF% and higher muscle mass % the quicker these will come.

I've heard and read many opinions of one arm chin ups. That's a move i want to achieve. For close-pullups, i can at least do twelve reps. what would be the quickest way to achieve the one-arm chin up? weigthed pull-ups? or what else is there?
IMHO, get yourself to 20-25 bw-only pullups and/or a weighted single with at least half your bw.

Lastly, do not look for the quickest way to achieve the one-arm chinup, just get stronger, try some one-arm hangs for time, and be patient.

-S-

The quickest way is to hang from the bar by one hand, then your shoulder tears off and you're left injured for a long time or maybe forever. I did this last year, 13 months ago, and it has affected everything I do from judo to S&S kettlebell training.

What is it with humans that we always try to do "more"? Oftentimes enough is enough.

I am more impressed with the front lever and even leg raises on the bar than a one arm chinup. Even the strongest in the world can barely do one. Al Kavadlo has done two on camera, and he is perhaps the most celebrated callisthenist in the world.

any major shoulder injury is sickeningly frustrating. In my experience, a sudden injury is really the result of years with the triggering event being the final straw. One arm hangs on their own arent devastating. I think anyone who swings on monkey bars subjects their shoulder to more force than a passive 1 arm hang (but for less duration at a time). That being said, you need very stable shoulders for either one.

If its any consolation, I dont think it was actually as dangerous or stupid or however you feel for trying a one arm hang, its just that something else was lurking that finally gave way.

That being said, we should all be careful and learn from each others injuries. Listen to Kozushi and be very careful with this quest. Ido Portal has a hanging progression video that involves side to side one arm hanging, like monkey bars but in place. Work that progression if you can find it to get your shoulder ready for supporting that weight.

Festina lente. Make haste slowly.

The quickest way is to hang from the bar by one hand, then your shoulder tears off and you're left injured for a long time or maybe forever.

I do one-armed hangs fairly frequently, but then I weigh only 140lbs/64kg. These kind of moves definitely favour the shorter, lighter athlete.

Obviously, jumping up and grabbing the bar with just one hand is a very bad way to approach this move: Take hold of the bar with two hands, pack your shoulders tight and very carefully and gradually relax your grip with one hand. You should be able to tell without letting go of the bar whether or not your shoulder is up to the task of supporting your weight.

Make sure you're in a position where you can let go of the bar completely without risking injury, i.e. not too far from the ground, and once you're comfortable 'half-gripping' the bar with one hand, release your grip with that hand entirely. If you feel your body start to twist or rotate and you're unable to control the movement, let go!

By all means give it a try but have realistic expectations and don't push yourself too hard. A move like this could take years to get down and, while it is an impressive feat, it's not worth injuring yourself over so train sensibly and stop when either your grip or your shoulders start to fatigue.

I do one-armed hangs fairly frequently, but then I weigh only 140lbs/64kg. These kind of moves definitely favour the shorter, lighter athlete.

Obviously, jumping up and grabbing the bar with just one hand is a very bad way to approach this move: Take hold of the bar with two hands, pack your shoulders tight and very carefully and gradually relax your grip with one hand. You should be able to tell without letting go of the bar whether or not your shoulder is up to the task of supporting your weight.

Make sure you're in a position where you can let go of the bar completely without risking injury, i.e. not too far from the ground, and once you're comfortable 'half-gripping' the bar with one hand, release your grip with that hand entirely. If you feel your body start to twist or rotate and you're unable to control the movement, let go!

By all means give it a try but have realistic expectations and don't push yourself too hard. A move like this could take years to get down and, while it is an impressive feat, it's not worth injuring yourself over so train sensibly and stop when either your grip or your shoulders start to fatigue.

Completely agree. I do these very careful one arm hangs and I weigh about 80kg. I actually find they make my shoulders feel great.

As for the one arm chin intself - I'd initially concentrate on exercises that build strength rather than demonstrate strength. By that I mean doing BW pull ups and then weighted pull ups. The one arm chin should then come as a by product of that strength, perhaps after some specific training with one arm chin regressions (negatives, archer pull ups, assisted one arm chins).

Here's a big dude doing a one arm chin:

Inspiring stuff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom