all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull up alternatives

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

footballer55

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,
In my home gym the ceilings are too low for a pull up bar of any kind. I can make my way through with most things by sitting down, but I can't do a pull up sitting down haha. So what I was wondering...

What are some intense excercises that work the same muscles as pull ups in a similar way (traps, biceps, etc.)?

Hello,

Can you go for some dips, dumbell curls, bench press ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pavel's "Naked Warrior" would be good here - work on your one-legged squat and your one-armed pushup.

-S-

+1 on the an wheel rollouts. You could also do l-sit chins with a door or wall mounted bar even shoulder height.

Ring or TRX rows have great carry over. Straight arm Lat pulldowns with band or cables are great combined with KB pullovers for activation or strengthening.

Hello,

TRX chest fly, with straight arms

You can add some difficulty by elevating your feet (chair, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Wait, why can't you do tuck pullups or L-sit pullups? That's pretty much the same thing as sitting down...

Hi,
In my home gym the ceilings are too low for a pull up bar of any kind. I can make my way through with most things by sitting down, but I can't do a pull up sitting down haha. So what I was wondering...

What are some intense excercises that work the same muscles as pull ups in a similar way (traps, biceps, etc.)?
I don't know if it's an option but I have a doorway pull up bar that allows me to fully extend my arms,granted I have to bend my knees but I find it quite effective. I am 6ft 2inches and 14stone and find it sturdy

So this is a weighted solution but I noticed others going that route so here is my suggestion. Heavy Press Negatives. Using a weight that is too heavy to press or slightly above your strict form max, push press to top position and focus on pulling the elbows in slowly during the descent of the bar/bell back to the rack position. Doing the negatives at a count of 4 or 6 will be a fun thing as well.

I used this drill to prepare for my level 2 weighted pull up test way back when.

You could also try TRX pull ups. Put your TRX on over short and hang below it. You can tuck the knees, L-sit, or even sit cross legged/indian style (sorry if that's no PC) and pull your self up. The cross legged version is tons of fun.

+1 on the previous mentions of TRX (or jungle gym, or rings, or just a low bar of any kind), and using these to do inverted rows (feet on heels, plank, pull yourself up), weighted with a vest or backpack

For a while my biceps tendon hurt doing chin ups. I got two sawhorses out and put a shovel across them and did Australian pullups or horizontal pulls. Not the exact same stimulus, but a good upper body pull with minimal equipment and only three feet high. People without sawhorses and shovels have been known to do them on a barbell in a squat rack.

Body rockets or "doplphin"- the yoga pose. Tighten your lats doing these was possible when my shoulder was bad.

Hello Michael,
Pull up is one of the most effective intense exercises. But if you can't do this you should try Skipping, Battle Rope Workouts, running etc. Thank you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom