all posts post new thread

Bodyweight pull up bar equipment

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wexford

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm doing S&S. Pavel mentions hanging being good in his book. I've been thinking about buying one and I guess others have gone through the process. Seems there is a lot of options out there. I'm a bit space limited. I don't have much wall space but I do have a door going into my man cave which seems to be tempted. The door opens into the room. Above the door I have space for an over the door pull up bar like the rogue jammer and a little bit extra. knocking on the wall above the door inside the room, I think there are 3 studs (wood) there, one in the middle and 2 on either side so that seems promising for at attaching one.

Question is what kind of one I should be considering. I've zero pull up experience. I'm thinking I'd probably start off hanging but would probably use it for pull ups also. I'm in Japan so the market is also a bit different I guess.

The rogue jammer looks nice but perhaps I'd be a fool to get that as with shipping it would be almost $400. Its a straight bar type.

Then there are a few curvy type ones??? Not sure what to make of these? Maybe good, maybe not?
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 21.50.58.png

Then there is ones that stick out more... this one, looks to be setup for concrete but I presume I could find a way to attach this over the door also.
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 21.56.27.png

Then there are ones something like this.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 22.00.34.png

There seems to be a lot of options out there. I'm thinking a straight bar is best though? Only fancy thing I can imagine doing would be to attach rings for my kinds to play and perhaps one of those bands that helps you reach your first pull up if it turned out I needed that.

Any advice and/or links appreciated. I've looked at a bit of youtube on this topic but its hard to see through what is paid reviews and I haven't managed to find something that discusses this type of mount as well as what the advantages/disadvantages are of the different hand positions and which ones are the actual ones that I should be using. Thanks all!

Then there is ones that stick out more... this one, looks to be setup for concrete but I presume I could find a way to attach this over the door also.
View attachment 17741
I have one of these, and don't recommend it. It was cheap, and it is sturdy enough, but the problem I have it that for overhand pullups the width I want to put my hands is right where the neutral grip handles are, not the inside or outside grips. It works fine for hanging and chinups, but it's not good for pullups. Also, the cushy grips feel like they cause MORE pinching and hand discomfort than a steel bar.

I have one of these, and don't recommend it.
Thank you @BJJ Shawn for confirming that. It looks like it will get me away from the wall/door a bit but the hand positions seems locked in and was also wondering about that padding. I'll knock it off my list. Are you going to upgrade to something else at some point? What would you get instead?

Do have any outdoor space?
I don't have a garden. I do have a side of the house but its lined with trees that leave me with no usable space. Then there is a little space beside the aircon unit which would suck also :) So not really an option there either unfortunately. Japan everything is on top of everything else.

Thank you @BJJ Shawn for confirming that. It looks like it will get me away from the wall/door a bit but the hand positions seems locked in and was also wondering about that padding. I'll knock it off my list. Are you going to upgrade to something else at some point? What would you get instead?
I am planning on upgrading it, but I’ll be getting the one you already ruled out due to cost and get the Jammer bar, so that’s why I didn’t mention it.

I don’t know if you can get your hands on this one, but it’s a cheaper Jammer knock off and I may end up trying it:

@BJJ Shawn - I agree. The Rogue Jammer does look tasty and I like the way it incorporates a stringer. Haven't completely written it off yet but as I guess it is an investment too and it doesn't look like the kind of thing that will fall apart. I'm also wondering about the straight bar verses angled bars. I'm thinking straight and simple wins the game and allows for more hand placements.

Yeah... space in Japan is hard to find. I always have to make do with what I can find in parks when I'm there.

I'd be worried about drilling into walls too. I've rigged up a pull-up bar suspended from rafters in my basement w. tie down straps, chain, and metal pipe. It worked/works fine, but now I have a free standing pull-up bar/rack that was cheap (around $120 on amazon). It doesn't take much space, but I understand how little you have. Here's a link to the one I have in my garage now (but in blue):

Amazon product ASIN B07GNSFM2V

I use this.
Portable pull up

It is relatively inexpensive and does not require a lot of room. Can be used for various other exercises with plenty of ideas on you tube.
Might have something similar in Japan or imported from Oz?

I don't have a garden. I do have a side of the house but its lined with trees that leave me with no usable space. Then there is a little space beside the aircon unit which would suck also :) So not really an option there either unfortunately. Japan everything is on top of everything else.
If you have larger trees with sturdy limbs you could use rings. I hang from rings.

Yeah... space in Japan is hard to find. I always have to make do with what I can find in parks when I'm there.

I'd be worried about drilling into walls too. I've rigged up a pull-up bar suspended from rafters in my basement w. tie down straps, chain, and metal pipe. It worked/works fine, but now I have a free standing pull-up bar/rack that was cheap (around $120 on amazon). It doesn't take much space, but I understand how little you have. Here's a link to the one I have in my garage now (but in blue):

Amazon product ASIN B07GNSFM2V
Hi @Boris Bachmann - any reason you'd be worried about drilling into walls? I guess I am not that heavy. Currently 75kgs. If I am not swinging and jumping up to the bar, then with a stringer, I think it should be rather good. Also if the bar is close enough to the wall, then there should be less leverage so I'm hoping it would be rock solid. Space wise, I think my man cave needs a good tidy out, ski boots are dead, golf clubs unused etc, but my feeling is that a wall mounted solution will be more stable than a cheaper stand alone unit.

I use this.
Portable pull up

It is relatively inexpensive and does not require a lot of room. Can be used for various other exercises with plenty of ideas on you tube.
Might have something similar in Japan or imported from Oz?
That looks pretty cool. Like the fact that it's portable. I'd still want to be leaving it up all the time though to overcome my lazy nature (something kettlebells at home vs going to the gym addresses). So perhaps not ideal for me right now. space wise.

If you have larger trees with sturdy limbs you could use rings. I hang from rings.
Hi @GaryT - yeah my trees are unfortunately useless in this regard. Great suggestion though. I do plan to hang rings for my kids but probably don't have the height in my place for me.

Hi @Boris Bachmann - any reason you'd be worried about drilling into walls? I guess I am not that heavy. Currently 75kgs. If I am not swinging and jumping up to the bar, then with a stringer, I think it should be rather good. Also if the bar is close enough to the wall, then there should be less leverage so I'm hoping it would be rock solid. Space wise, I think my man cave needs a good tidy out, ski boots are dead, golf clubs unused etc, but my feeling is that a wall mounted solution will be more stable than a cheaper stand alone unit.
No particular reason - just personal preference and I don't like messing w. my house too much cosmetically considering that moving (and removing features a potential future owner might not like) would be a pain in the arsenal. Selling homes and real estate is a different deal entirely in Nihon however so if I were you I'd do whatever is going to meet my training needs better.

Wall units - I don't swing a lot, but I don't like hitting the wall w. my toes or knees. That's just a preference. I've seen too many door units fail to ever feel safe w. them (even though most are no doubt user error).

The stand alone unit I have now is pretty stable and unless I try to be Mr. Gymnast doing a bar routine I'm pretty confident it's going to last longer than the rest of my training lifetime.

Anywho, like I said, get what you prefer. Just throwing in my $.02

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom