all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull up bar install - advice?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
I'd like some advice on home pull up bar install!

I bought one for my basement to attach to a floor joist. The floor joist is a 2x12, and I'm going to attach both posts to the face of the joist. The bar will connect to both posts, which are parallel on the same joist so that the pullup bar is parallel to the joist (ie the posts are NOT on separate joists).

In the effort to keep this as sturdy as possible, would it be advisable to further reinforce the post to the joist by adding a 2x4 behind the joist? The post would drill into both the 2x12 joist, as well as the small 2x4 piece behind the joist. Is the extra 2x4 excessive or unnecessary? Just want to be as safe as possible!

I hope I'm painting a clear picture here! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey wespom, I asked my builder a similar question and if possible hang it as close to the I-beam as possible.

That makes sense, @mrdave100 , thanks. I'm most concerned about the fact that it's one joist taking all the weight.
Granted I'm barely 150lbs, but still

Instead of attaching the posts to your joist, drill some holes in the I-beam and attach them to that.

I’ve put up a few DIY pullup bars in my basement over the years, don’t worry, that 2x12 joist can handle a lot.

All well and good if you have an I-beam.
I had a similar situation once. I reinforced the joist. But I'm a bit paranoid that way.

In another house I had drilled into a joist for some reason, and when we came to sell, the buyers home inspector raised a big stink over the fact... (it all turned out okay in the end however)

I don't have an I-beam style joist, just a simple 2x12. I definitely fall in the paranoid category haha.

I'm not too worried about home inspection... the couple who owned my house prior to us moving in, he was a little bit of a DIY-er and the room is full of hooks, hangers and God knows what off the ceiling. Four more holes won't change anything haha.

Thanks!

We have pretty standard basement rafter and a pull-up bar is fine with no special reinforcement.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom