all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Pull-up stretch

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cmerrow

Level 6 Valued Member
Is hanging from a pull-up bar more about stretching the lats or decompressing the spine?

What might be a viable alternative if I don't have access to the bar?

Thank you!

Is hanging from a pull-up bar more about stretching the lats or decompressing the spine?

That depends if you relax your lats and hang loosely (a nice stretch) or contract your lats and pack your shoulders (a good practice). I think either one is good for decompressing the spine.

For stretching the lats - stand next to a wall, let's say with the wall to your right. Stretch your arms up and over, leaning to the side to place both hands on the wall. Expand your side to get a great stretch of the left lat. Repeat for the right.

To decompress the spine - I like yoga's "downward dog", for that, for a calf stretch, a shoulder stretch, a nice inversion, a great reset, good breathing practice... etc. etc.

Hello,

Back bridges and butterfly strech while touching your toes with your head can be an option.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you!

Just a tip, if you have a playground near you there's almost always monkey bars, swings, or something you can use as a bar (even if it's just once or twice a week).

Also, a lot of the parks by me have those "fitness stations" laid out every .25 miles or so, and very often there's one or two pullup stations there as well.

Added bonus, it's a good excuse to go for a run or just work out outside!

That depends if you relax your lats and hang loosely (a nice stretch) or contract your lats and pack your shoulders (a good practice). I think either one is good for decompressing the spine.
Keeping your shoulders packed won't allow as good spinal decompression. Your lats attach all the way up and down your spine. Best to hang out on the bar, rotate your spine as a way of prying things loose.

-S-

Keeping your shoulders packed won't allow as good spinal decompression. Your lats attach all the way up and down your spine. Best to hang out on the bar, rotate your spine as a way of prying things loose.

I should spend more time studying muscle anatomy. My spinal decompression hangs are a lot more effective now that I focus on relaxing the lats. Thanks, Steve!

Isn't hanging upside down more effective for spinal decompression?

Also, reverse hyper-extensions on a roman chair are a great deal for me with a decompression of a lower part of the spine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom