all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull-up Variations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
This video blew my mind. I do some of these already because of my renewed focus on grip, and arm strength. My favorite is the Rolling Thunder, and Grappler Grips pull-ups (both homemade). The pull-up on a suspended kettlebell is genius because this is an often overlook grip, I do Plate rows for this. Do Bent Over Rows with your fingers under a stack of plates, and row to your chest.

Odd grip and uneven grip pull-ups are excellent. They are a staple in my pull-up diet. The open hand position is indeed often times overlooked. If a person wants to truly master grip strength, they need to train it in all positions...

That's all my tricks and a few more. I never thought of hanging a kettlebell up and using that for a handle. I use a straight bar instead of the rolling thunders but it's the same concept.

I bet Kurt had sore elbows after that torture test. Kurt made those pullups look much easier than they actually are, I find many people who are proficient at pullups struggle to do one rep on a revolving handle setup when they try for the first time. You really get a good feel for your wrist flexors when your bodyweight tries to force your wrists into extension and let the handles slip out of your grip.

When I made the fat bar and put revolving sleeves on it, it really cranked the difficulty up even further. Anything over 2.5 inches diameter is getting into a quite advanced level for a revolving grip.

It can be a good shortcut to the typical high rep grip work that a lot of people do too. With the right size revolving handle setup for your hand you can get into the 2-3 rep training zone and get results in minimum time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom