all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@the hansenator 's inverted row is an excellent step IMO. You can even add another one, slightly harder, by elevating your feet. Basically, feet are higher than shoulders when arms are straight

@offwidth
Yes of course, several method can be used simultaneously :)
However I have also heard people say that the sticking point for them is the lock-0ff at the top position
This makes sense because to a certain extent, you can be exhausted when you reach the top position. It that case, I admit that the pulley may be a better solution because it will certainly bring a greater assistance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Bands are actually pretty linear in their application of assistance. Not as good as springs but fairly close.
With all due respect I would have to disagree (at least until I did the math), unless you think that they obey Hookes law like springs do. I'm not exactly sure they do. But regardless I will still stand behind the pulley counterweight as the method of choice. (At least for me)

Last edited:
With all due respect I would have to disagree (at least until I did the math), unless you think that they obey Hookes law like springs do. I'm not exactly sure they do. But regardless I will still stand behind the pulley counterweight as the method of choice. (At least for me)
Again, it's physics. I don't *think* they obey Hooke's law; they do. It's not as perfect as a spring, but like I said before, "fairly close".

Not saying it's better/worse. Just wanted to clarify.

Learn to hang in the top position for 2 minutes, learn to hang in the bottom position for 2 minutes. Your body will figure out the in between. According to Dan John anyways.... :)
I can see 2 minutes at the bottom, but I'd be shaking like a leaf if I tried to hold 2 minutes at the top.

-S-

Hello,

Depending on your weak point here, it can be interesting to do some sets with both options. You start with the option that make you work out a bit more, while your are fresh. That way, you can build up a little bit more volume

Kind regards,

Pet'

Actually, it was Gray Cook and I was close. He says if you can only hang 30 seconds in the bottom and top, then triple or even quadruple it. Makes sense to me. I wonder how long a set of 15 pull ups takes?

@Wesker11, I just did a 30-second hang from the worst bar of 4 we have here - the slippery one. 30 seconds wasn't fun and I wouldn't have wanted to go much longer.

I find myself wondering whether being able to do a 30-second or longer bar hang is necessary for doing one's first pullup. @HUNTER1313 started this thread by saying his pullups were lousy, and later in the thread said he can't do even one.

Taking myself as an example, I have a strong grip for deadlifting and can do weighted pullups for reps. It seems to me that a strong grip in that 1RM sense, rather than hanging from a bar with bodyweight only for time, is going to matter more in getting one's first pullup. IOW, Strong First, and then learn to endure later.

-S-

Hello,

I wonder how long a set of 15 pull ups takes?
It really depends on the tempo you choose.

I assume we go for a full ROM
- Tempo 1111 (1s hold at the bottom, 1s for getting up, 1s hold at the top, 1s to get down) > 4s * 15 reps = 60s hanging
- Tempo 0101 > 30s hanging

The first option is a normal pull up which do not use "rebound" and shoulder elasticity.

Kind regards,

Pet'

How many chin ups can you do? It might be as simple as working on building up chin up numbers until you can do a pull up.
If you got access to the right kind of apparatus, you can try 'neutral grip' (i.e. palms facing towards each other) pull-ups as a transition from the underhand to the overhand grip. I like to do them on the monkey bars at the park.

If you got access to the right kind of apparatus, you can try 'neutral grip' (i.e. palms facing towards each other) pull-ups as a transition from the underhand to the overhand grip. I like to do them on the monkey bars at the park.

I can get about a dozen of these before gassing out. This how I do them on suspension straps as well.

I haven't counted max reps, just enjoying the difference right now. For the Archer pullup, which I've been doing, it's _way_ more comfortable on the rings for me.

-S-

Two minutes in the top position? Challenge accepted.

So I tried to hold the top position for two minutes. I made it to about 56.5 seconds and my elbows felt horrible.

After that, I couldn't even hang from the bar for a full minute.

FYI I can do about 15 full ROM strict pull ups (from dead hang to chest-to-bar) max and regularly perform sets of 10-12 reps.

I'm not sure that maintaining the top position is the stuff that pull ups are made of. I also find that maintaining a dead hang on the bar is harder than doing a set of pull ups; it's probably irradiation at work again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom