all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I agree with @Steve Freides ...
It might take some creativity and searching, but if you could find something at or near work that would be good.
Once you start looking it can be kind of amazing where opportunities for pull-ups start to present themselves...

In my experience GTG is not applicable for most people - unless you are working in some strength environment. And most of the time you start of cold, that is not good either for maximum performance.
I would rather go for one session everyday and be focused. You can throw in some serious work with 15-20min time. So you only pull until the speed slows then the set is done. Big muscles are exhausted, over that the CNS is taxed too much. Do Ladders or straight sets. Try out how rest days are working for you. Depending on which pullups you can do you can vary the grip. Neutral narrow is easiest and pronated relatively wide most difficult. Try to add volume over time.

GTGing hangs with various grips and thickness of bar would seem a good bet to me. You could also try hangs in the top of the pull up position with a very slow negative occasionally.

I end most practices with hangs and sometimes hang on off days and my grip strength/endurance has never been better. Stay patient.

I guess "grip strength" doesn't necessarily equate to "grip endurance". I have pretty good grip strength. I can deadlift over 400 lbs and have never failed a lift due to my grip. On the other hand when I deadhang from a pull-up bar I can barely hang on for one minute.

Of course in the deadlift you only need to hang on for a few seconds but it's a much more intense grip than a pull-up. Not sure how to increase my grip endurance for pull-ups.

I used to do deadhangs everyday for months but could never increase my hang time much past one minute. Never tried to hang from the top position but I'm sure it's got to be much harder.

Just an anecdote to pass along - a relative has been hanging from the bar for time to help with shoulder tension, and recently tried pullups and chinups after a long hiatus and found an unexpected improvement. Sometimes improved grip strength will yield improved pullup results, same thing with improved ab strength.

-S-

And _really_ lots of WTH moments when you increase your deadlift, including having a stronger grip and stronger abs.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom